Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Jarno

Reged: 05/22/05

Loc: Netherlands
Astrotrac TH3010 head
      #5446940 - 09/29/12 02:55 PM

Hi all, I have question about the Astrotrac TH3010 head but I'll start with some background information.

I'm just getting started in astrophotography and I'm using the Astrotrac TT320X-AG with the TW3100 wedge on a very sturdy CF photo tripod. So far I've only used my 300mm f/2.8 telelens because my 500mm lens unbalances the system enough that the TT320 starts trailing, I haven't even tried my 4" refractor because that'll be even worse so I'll need to counterbalance the weight somehow.

And now for the question part: Astrotracs own TH3010 is the most obvious solution but I've read that loosening the azimuth knob too far separates the top half, possibily sending more than $10K of photo-gear towards ungentle contact with terra firma. Has Astrotrac solved this design flaw yet?

The alternative is the Giro-Ercole which is both stronger and presumably safer but also bigger, heavier and more expensive. The "bigger" part bothers me most, I want the mount to be as low as possible to keep the center of gravity close to the tripod centerline. Which of these mounts would the more experienced imagers recommend and why? Or are there other mounts that will work just as well?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
Re: Astrotrac TH3010 head new [Re: Jarno]
      #5447066 - 09/29/12 04:26 PM

I have the TH3010 and it works great. I agree that the thing can separate due to poor design. Had they cut a groove like an EP barrel it would have served as a mechanical lock if only slightly loose. While you can balance in RA, you would need to have some method of obtaining balance in declination.

Jarno

Reged: 05/22/05

Loc: Netherlands
Re: Astrotrac TH3010 head new [Re: PGW Steve]
      #5448259 - 09/30/12 11:16 AM

OK that pretty much rules out the Astrotrac head then, I'm not going to take such a risk with my gear. Too bad nobody makes a Giro-type mount with slow motion controls, that would have been perfect.

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 710

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics