Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
jimandlaura26
sage

Reged: 11/19/03

Loc: Northern VA
Denk Binoviewers & Coronado PST
      #5447190 - 09/29/12 05:55 PM

I spent a couple of hours today with my Coronado PST and Denkmeier binoviewer/optical corrector, using 25 mm Antares Elite Plossls to give a field of view on the order of 0.7 degrees. It was a great view with several prominences; and one very large Pi shaped one on the edge near the two large sunspots. I watched that one slowly change shape over several hours. There were several large filaments across the surface as well.

Use of the Denk's results in very different experience than single EP's. The image is superior, much larger image scale, and illumination across the face is more uniform.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pentax Syntax

Reged: 11/03/12

Loc: Maryland
Re: Denk Binoviewers & Coronado PST new [Re: jimandlaura26]
      #5590306 - 12/26/12 09:10 PM

Jim,

Just a followup. Are you still happy with the setup. I was undecided about whether to get the Siebert or the Denkmeier corrector but opted for the Denk. Looking forward to seeing the sun with both eyes; I would assume it is more comfortable.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Denk Binoviewers & Coronado PST new [Re: jimandlaura26]
      #5590371 - 12/26/12 09:58 PM

I have a solarmax40 and I have the opposite effect. Enjoy single eyepiece more than binoviewinf with solarmax40.

Pentax Syntax

Re: Denk Binoviewers & Coronado PST new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5593937 - 12/29/12 08:47 AM

Quote:

I have a solarmax40 and I have the opposite effect. Enjoy single eyepiece more than binoviewinf with solarmax40.

Just curious what your eyepiece/binoviewer combination is the solarvax40? As you probably know, the PST throws up a tiny image circle which negates most of the advantages of widefield eyepieces. I do like view through my Meade 13.8 Superwide though.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Denk Binoviewers & Coronado PST new [Re: Pentax Syntax]
      #5594124 - 12/29/12 10:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just curious what your eyepiece/binoviewer combination is the solarvax40? As you probably know, the PST throws up a tiny image circle which negates most of the advantages of widefield eyepieces. I do like view through my Meade 13.8 Superwide though.

Coronado told me to stick with simple possils, so for single eypiece viewing I mostly use 20mm and 10mm possils. For Denk II binoviewing I use 24mm panoptics and power switches (I did also try new 14mm 82 AFOV ES but that was too much power). There is alot more work focusing with all the powerswitches on a solarmax (than on a dob), and eye placement is so much harder in binoview than single eyepiece. My solarmax40 only has 5mm blocking filter, before they made 10mm standard. I believe binoviewers made imade dimmer making prominences harder to see than in single eyepiece.

Pentax Syntax

Re: Denk Binoviewers & Coronado PST new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5595749 - 12/30/12 09:41 AM

Thanks for the response. I am still learning about solar and I agree that simple eyepieces seem to work well for solar observing. I have the standard Denks and mainly use a pair of Meade 20 QX widefields. Although these are not well corrected off-axis they work well in the Denks and qualify as simple eyepieces for solar.

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 931

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics