Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Gearing up for winter -outdoor storage new
      #5445840 - 09/28/12 09:05 PM

I left my CG5-AGST out over the summer up at my weekend place, covered with a Telegizmo cover without much of a problem. Thinking about winter, here in the US NorthEast I have been wondering how to best keep all the new electronics out with the mount, nothing fancy, just power strips, USB hub, SkySafari wifi unit and all the misc wires and usb dongles. I have a 100ft electrical cord and several 16ft USB segments coming back into my home office... overall about 60 ft. So far no big issues, but bring in all the electronics when its going to rain has been a PITA. So I am thinking of leaving everything outside. I am planning to cover the mount with a Telegizmo 365 cover... (although I have been thinking about other options like a large plastic storage box or even a very large upside down garbage can...) As for the electronics, is there a small box that is waterproof and that works well for such an intended function? I was thinking of a large plastic tool box? I could drill some holes in it for the wires to come out, but would that allow water inside? Anyone else figure out a solution or am I just a total city-guy noob?

Al

P.S. This is just the CG-5 mount+head the OTA I keep inside of course

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Re: Gearing up for winter -outdoor storage new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5445900 - 09/28/12 09:47 PM

Hi Al,

I've done similar with mine (minus the extra auxiliary electronics. I used a large upside down garbage can tied down with bungee cords. I covered the mount inside that with a cover, but that was it. Never had an issue. Kept my OTA's inside as well.

Clear skies,

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Gearing up for winter -outdoor storage new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5445962 - 09/28/12 10:30 PM

Al,

I'm working on a similar problem and am considering one of these Rubbermaid products. Like your idea of a toolbox but bigger. http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/Category.aspx?CatName

TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Gearing up for winter -outdoor storage new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5446781 - 09/29/12 01:13 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

We have a few outside cameras at work that did mess up after a rain about two years ago I made up some connector covers that worked great. I used 3" PVC pipe about a foot long and two end caps slide the end caps on no glue then I marked where they stopped on the PVC pipe drilled a hole just above where the end cap stopped then I took a skill saw a jig saw work work as well and cut from the end of the pipe to the hole about 1/4" wide this would allow the cable to enter without making a large hole for the connector.Now put the cable through and slide the two end caps on and use silicone
to seal the best part ise you can reuse just be removing the silicone and the end cap.

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Gearing up for winter -outdoor storage new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5446794 - 09/29/12 01:21 PM

The tool box is a good Ideal for power UBS hub get something thick well made you can drill one hole in the side or back and get a 90 deg PVC elbow and maybe a 2 inch piece of PVC elbow bend is facing down that way the water would have to travel up hill to get in the box. Most plastics will break down over time you can paint the box to help UV protect the plastic.

good luck

A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: Gearing up for winter -outdoor storage new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5446968 - 09/29/12 03:12 PM

thanks everyone, good suggestions... Cutting some PVC and having the wires come out from the elbow joint is a great and easy sounding idea...

Now assuming I place this contraption under the Cg5 tripod, would it be a good or bad idea to leave the wires (nexstar remote, st4 autoguider, power) connected to the mount head or should I keep the wires in the box and just connect when I bring the OTA outside?

Al

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: Gearing up for winter -outdoor storage [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5447340 - 09/29/12 07:41 PM

One thing if you do the tool box with the PVC elbow take some cloth or silicone or something to keep out wasp out of your dry box, don't want that surprise waiting on you.

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 581

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics