Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
LakeFX
sage

Reged: 01/02/07

Loc: West Michigan
Re: Advice please. Buying a new mount $2k. 4 Small Obs new [Re: EFT]
      #5451542 - 10/02/12 09:28 AM

Good news...A new mount on the way! A Hypertuned CGEM. Thanks for all your help everyone. I cleaned up a lot of confusion with this thread and definitely helped steer me in the right direction.

When it comes down to it, the CGEM strikes a good balance of quality, evolution of its software, cost, known-repeatable-fixable problems. Big(ger) community of support.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LakeFX
sage

Reged: 01/02/07

Loc: West Michigan
Re: Advice please. Buying a new mount $2k. 4 Small Obs new [Re: LakeFX]
      #5482890 - 10/21/12 11:42 PM

Quick update.... After the mandatory 11 day waiting period of rain, clouds, dreerienes and apologizing to family for bring such horrible weather by buying new equipment...I've pier mounted, accurately polar aligned, and PEMPro PEC tuned the mount.

After all is said an done I'm down to just shy of 11 arc-seconds peak-peak of periodic error before guiding without any visually fast movements in RA.

I had been using an LDX55 for 10 years now as of this month and I've got to tell you, everything is four times as easy, 4 times more accurate, and all around this CGEM mount just gives me the warm fuzzies. Perhaps I'm more easily amused simply by fighting the 55 for so long.

I'll be purchasing a VSBS and start some guiding here shortly.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Advice please. Buying a new mount $2k. 4 Small Obs new [Re: LakeFX]
      #5482908 - 10/21/12 11:56 PM

Quote:

Quick update.... After the mandatory 11 day waiting period of rain, clouds, dreerienes and apologizing to family for bring such horrible weather by buying new equipment...I've pier mounted, accurately polar aligned, and PEMPro PEC tuned the mount.

After all is said an done I'm down to just shy of 11 arc-seconds peak-peak of periodic error before guiding without any visually fast movements in RA.

I had been using an LDX55 for 10 years now as of this month and I've got to tell you, everything is four times as easy, 4 times more accurate, and all around this CGEM mount just gives me the warm fuzzies. Perhaps I'm more easily amused simply by fighting the 55 for so long.

I'll be purchasing a VSBS and start some guiding here shortly.

It's always a joy to go from an old, limited, fairly difficult mount to a new, up-to-date mount with more capacity as well as bells and whistles. Enjoy the new mount, you made a good choice.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Advice please. Buying a new mount $2k. 4 Small Obs new [Re: EFT]
      #5483487 - 10/22/12 11:43 AM

LakeFX,

You're doing better with my mount than I was! I'm glad it's serving you well.

Can't wait to see some pictures.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1713

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics