Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/04

Loc: 52.269 N/10.571 E
Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66° field new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5495797 - 10/30/12 06:45 AM

Quote:

Yes, thanks Alexis. I had some luck after working with it a bit and moving my head around. It's a minor distraction, this eyepiece is just fantastic. It really is like a widefield ZAO-II zoom.

Congrats to your new zoom. The Leica ASPH really is tailored for a high end refractor like your FS152.

For visual use you seriously should consider lifting up the rubber eyecup as described here. It makes the positioning of the eye much easier and at the same time works for suppressing light from the side.

Andreas

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66° field new [Re: andydj5xp]
      #5495802 - 10/30/12 06:53 AM

Just think Andreas, you started all of this!

I never thought that I would see the day in which a zoom would generate more threads than Brandons.

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66° field new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5495962 - 10/30/12 10:09 AM

Quote:

Tammy, that new Meopta looks like even I could bino with it!

Hi Doug,

The particular configuration (Meopta -> APM 2" M42 -> #T2-14(1.25" nosepiece)) needs about 55mm extra inward focus comparing to Panoptic 24.

This could be a show stopper for binoviewer use, in terms of reaching focus to infinity.

Tammy

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66° field new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5495970 - 10/30/12 10:12 AM

Tammy,

Wow, that's a lot of infocus! That would definitely be a deal breaker for my Starmaster, and I'm not sure that it's worth the extra expense for my EON 120.

Well then, that should save me a bit of money!

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

#5495999 - 10/30/12 10:36 AM

Yes, it needs ample inward focus distance.

In 2" mode, Meopta->APM 2" M42 adapter needs extra 10mm inward focus than Ethos 17.

I think Ethos 17 is the eyepiece that needs most inward focus distance in the current Televue lineup. You need extra 10mm over Ethos 17.

Tammy

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/04

Loc: 52.269 N/10.571 E
      #5496031 - 10/30/12 11:06 AM

Quote:

Because Bob S. has accused me to be "hugely responsible for many of us getting sleepless nights these days" I've contacted my lawyer how to react. He said it would be better to plead guilty in order to get as low a sentence as possible.

Andreas

sixela
Postmaster

Reged: 12/23/04

Loc: Boechout, Belgium
      #5496061 - 10/30/12 11:40 AM

Quote:

Yes, it needs ample inward focus distance.

I sense a barlow or an OCA in some people's future.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66° field new [Re: sixela]
      #5496070 - 10/30/12 11:47 AM

Another high-end Zoom that requires an OCA or Barlow? Pfft...

I think I'll make do with my trusty Baader Zoom and other eyepieces as needed.

Mike

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05

#5496107 - 10/30/12 12:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Because Bob S. has accused me to be "hugely responsible for many of us getting sleepless nights these days" I've contacted my lawyer how to react. He said it would be better to plead guilty in order to get as low a sentence as possible.

Andreas

My lawyer has already contacted yours and a settlement is in the works. It appears that I am going to have to pay YOU for the many years you spent analyzing this eyepiece. I suspect that your hourly rate is steep given the thoroughness of the tests and I am throwing myself at your mercy for a reduced settlement. Bob S.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5496187 - 10/30/12 01:25 PM

Quote:

For visual use you seriously should consider lifting up the rubber eyecup as described here. It makes the positioning of the eye much easier and at the same time works for suppressing light from the side.

Hmm, I'll check that out thanks Andreas. I actually found the next-to-last setting of the twist up eyecup good for me, that's the point where I can just still see the whole field at the high mag 80* setting. I find eye positioning pretty easy with the Leica, I get no more blackouts than with my XWs - I can induce them by getting too close, but Its easy to get a nice comfy view.

It's funny that the eyecup has click stops but the zoom mechanism doesn't.

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

#5497919 - 10/31/12 03:08 PM

I did field stop measurement and a little more observation.
At long focal length end (15.8mm), I see AMD effect very well.
Center is closer (bigger) and magnification drops toward edge.

Exaggeratedly, I feel like looking at flattened half sphere, center is closer and edge is farther.

Straight line keeps straight very well even at edge. It is for good terrestrial viewing, specially cityscape with full of straight lines.

It does very well for intended use, ie: spotting scope eyepiece.

Code:

fs: field stop in millimeter
pafov: calculated pseudo AFOV
adv_afv: advertised AFOV

fs 9.09 pafov 65.9 adv_afv 66.0 ratio -0.1% Meopta@60x-7.9mm
fs 19.42 pafov 70.4 adv_afv 66.0 ratio 6.7% Meopta@30x-15.8mm

Tammy

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5498133 - 10/31/12 05:31 PM

Quote:

I did field stop measurement and a little more observation.
At long focal length end (15.8mm), I see AMD effect very well.
Center is closer (bigger) and magnification drops toward edge.

Exaggeratedly, I feel like looking at flattened half sphere, center is closer and edge is farther.

Straight line keeps straight very well even at edge. It is for good terrestrial viewing, specially cityscape with full of straight lines.

It does very well for intended use, ie: spotting scope eyepiece.

Code:

fs: field stop in millimeter
pafov: calculated pseudo AFOV
adv_afv: advertised AFOV

fs 9.09 pafov 65.9 adv_afv 66.0 ratio -0.1% Meopta@60x-7.9mm
fs 19.42 pafov 70.4 adv_afv 66.0 ratio 6.7% Meopta@30x-15.8mm

Tammy

Tammy, I do not read well between the lines. What I think I am hearing is that the Meopta zooms are not at the level of the Leica ASPH in terms of performance for astronomy purposes? Bob

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66° field new [Re: Bob S.]
      #5498253 - 10/31/12 06:49 PM

Hi Bob,

I haven't done any side-by-side comparison yet. So there is no hidden message between lines

So far I can confirm that Meopta Zoom eyepiece has excellent reflection, ghosting suppression performance as Markus said in Vendor Forum.

I noted that I see vignetting at long focal end with Barlow lens. I see the same without Barlow lens. It quickly disappears when you zoom-in. It is similar to Leica Zoom.

Contrast is what I am interested when I observe DSO. I'll have to wait for dark, high transparent night for that.

Tammy

Sgt
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/17/05

Loc: Under the southern horn of the...
      #5498348 - 10/31/12 07:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Andreas

I seriously think Markus Ludes owes you a Christmas present

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66° field new [Re: mkothe]
      #5498577 - 10/31/12 10:18 PM

I kind of like zooms for my grab and go 5" Mak and SLT, but I have yet to look through one that is as sharp as a well corrected Ortho,
But I use RKE's which are (for those than dont know) are "Improved" Kelners, (Rank Kellner eyepieces). and only 3 elements.
You have to let us know how sharp they are Please!

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66° field new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5498640 - 10/31/12 10:57 PM

Quote:

Mike

The Leica ASPH Zoom doesn't necessarily require the barlow in my f8 refractor, I still get a nice image in 90%+ of the FOV at 1X. But for faster scopes the barlow helps a lot, with any eyepiece. The beauty of it for me is my most-used focal lengths besides the 31T5 are at 10-5mm so the barlowed Leica is perfect. The advantages of having a zoom are many and obvious but to have one with nice eye relief that is every bit the equal of my XWs, maybe even crisper, and with an even larger FOV in the higher mags...

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5500029 - 11/01/12 10:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

The Leica ASPH Zoom doesn't necessarily require the barlow in my f8 refractor, I still get a nice image in 90%+ of the FOV at 1X. But for faster scopes the barlow helps a lot, with any eyepiece. The beauty of it for me is my most-used focal lengths besides the 31T5 are at 10-5mm so the barlowed Leica is perfect. The advantages of having a zoom are many and obvious but to have one with nice eye relief that is every bit the equal of my XWs, maybe even crisper, and with an even larger FOV in the higher mags...

Johnny, I am confusing myself more than ever! I took my TEC 160 FL F/7 out tonight mounted on a DM6 Alt/Az mount and proceeded to use the Leica ASPH with a T2-29 ring holding a Baader/Zeiss 2x Abbe Barlow onto the Leica's front end. Was looking at Albireo, M15 and M31. Also had my Baader Mark V binoviewer on the same objects with a whole host of Brandon pairs as well as 16mm and 10mm ZAOII's, 18mm BGAO's and a pair of 24mm Pans with my just received 1.25x Glaspath corrector in the Mark V's. Obviously, the magnifications were quite different but I was experimenting with all of the different views on the three objects before the Moon came up which it is now just beginning to brighten the sky so I called it at about 9:45 EDT. What continues to amaze me is how sharp the Leica ASPH zoom is and how tight the star points are in the longish refractor. OTOH, binocular views are just the bomb when looking at really large objects such as the Andromeda galaxy and her two companion galaxies. Since I had just received the 1.25x Glaspath corrector that had not originally come with the BV's due to being out of stock, I had to see what the wide field views were like.

Back to this original thead, I hope that Tammy is able to view through the Meopta zoom sometime soon to let us know how it stacks up? I can tell you that the Leica ASPH will be a very tough act to beat. It is a shame that I am essentially a conehead with a 56-57mm IPD that would never allow for binoviewing with the Leicas like Tammy is able to do. Bob

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66° field new [Re: Bob S.]
      #5500181 - 11/01/12 11:43 PM

The Leica ASPH Zoom can't beat the views in the MkV binos Bob - but it re-invigorates my interest in mono-viewing. It is literally like having all three of my XWs in the diagonal but also everything inbetween. It's the perfect companion for the binos. There's no going back.

Every night I have tested the Leica Zoom out though, I have eventually stuck the binos in and gone "Woah! OK, now here we go...".

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5500422 - 11/02/12 05:30 AM

Quote:

The Leica ASPH Zoom can't beat the views in the MkV binos Bob - but it re-invigorates my interest in mono-viewing. It is literally like having all three of my XWs in the diagonal but also everything inbetween. It's the perfect companion for the binos. There's no going back.

Every night I have tested the Leica Zoom out though, I have eventually stuck the binos in and gone "Woah! OK, now here we go...".

Johnny, I had put a +1 and am totally rescinding it! This morning, Jupiter was really struting its stuff with a plethora of white ovals, the GRS and red dot below it in my 12.5" f/5 Zambuto/Starstructure. I initially was using the Mark V's with the 1.7 GPC and 24mm Pans. The views were nice but when I put my Leica ASPH zoom in coupled with a Baader/Zeiss 2x Abbe Ortho Barlow, Katie bar the door! The zoomed views were between 178x-358x. The Leica provided the best views of the planet this year.

I was going to take the 6.3" Apo out like I did last night but 12.5" shows so much more detail and color. The Leica hands down stole the show this morning. Bob

Edited by Bob S. (11/02/12 08:43 AM)

sixela
Postmaster

Reged: 12/23/04

Loc: Boechout, Belgium
      #5500819 - 11/02/12 12:07 PM

Quote:

Straight line keeps straight very well even at edge.

By the globe effect, the AMD and the fact straight lines look straight,depending on your eyesight I'd guess k=0.7-1 in http://www.holgermerlitz.de/globe/distortion.html .

You could derive it by comparing the real AFOV (measuring it with two eyes open, one looking at a ruler at known distance and the other at the field stop of the eyepiece) and the real TFOV.

But in a zoom it's not such a bad thing; after all it means more field at the outer zoom setting.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7656

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics