Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Coconuts

Reged: 09/23/12

Help sought on tripod foot pads new
      #5437604 - 09/24/12 08:08 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Hi. I keep a 110 mm ED refractor on an Astro-Tech Voyager mount and tripod at a Caribbean vacation home that we leave in short-term rental. The guests really like having the telescope available for both day and night use, but since they are always moving it out on the deck and back in again, I have an issue with the unprotected metal tips scratching our fairly soft Saltillo tile floors. Does anyone make protective foot pads that would address this? Traditional disconnected vibration pads such as those from Meade or Celestron won't work, since guests wouldn't use them. The pads would have to press on to or otherwise attach to the feet. If I have to, I could pot the base of each foot in a castable silicone, but I would prefer to buy a set of feet. Thanks, and if anyone's interested, you can see the scope (Orion 110 mm f/7 ED) in the attached photo, and near the last of the photos on our web site: www.coconutsvilla.com (that railing was removed and a lower deck added in our subsequent renovations). The skies are pretty dark there, and Sagittarius rides high (18 degrees latitude), so perhaps viewers will consider renting Coconuts. I keep a homemade 12.5" scope in locked owner's storage; collimating it is more than casual guests could deal with. Access could be arranged for ATM's.

Kevin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Joe Cipriano
Entropy Personified

Reged: 09/03/05

Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?
Re: Help sought on tripod foot pads new [Re: Coconuts]
      #5438096 - 09/24/12 01:27 PM

If you're willing to drill & tap your tripod's feet:

Swivel leveling mounts from McMaster Carr. The versions with acetal feet are non-marring. If the tripod feet are aluminum, I'd avoid the stainless steel varieties - IIRC stainless can react with aluminum in a high-humidity/salt environment.

Coconuts

Reged: 09/23/12

Re: Help sought on tripod foot pads new [Re: Coconuts]
      #5449377 - 09/30/12 11:06 PM

I found a solution. I had our contractor send me a photo of the tripod feet, and the Voyager tripod happens to be the same as a Sphinx tripod/mount that I keep here at home. Four screws release each of the pointed aluminum feet, which I mill mill down to flat, and then screw on a piece of 1.5" x 1.5" x 0.25" UHMW polyethylene 90 degree angle from McMaster Carr. That will definitely be floor friendly.
Kevin

Joe Cipriano
Entropy Personified

Reged: 09/03/05

Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?
Re: Help sought on tripod foot pads [Re: Coconuts]
      #5449384 - 09/30/12 11:13 PM

Pages: 1

Extra information
23 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 533

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics