Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
dksolar3294

Reged: 08/22/12

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: blueman]
      #5458716 - 10/07/12 01:33 AM

OK, Re: first picture, there are 3 holes in the top 3/4" piece aligned with the wood grain. However, this is not a problem. In order to snap this piece, substantial differential pressure would be required - much like snapping glass along a score line. Weight from the motor unit is fairly evenly distributed in & inside the circular grove. The motor unit rest directly on the wood and not the screws used to secure the motor in place. This wood does not bend and the multiple laminated pieces makes sure of it. This is oak, not balsa. The wood high stress & weak points are directly above the leg bolts. However, it should easily hold 100#, which is adequate for the motor unit, scope & counterweight.

The real danger with this arrangement is not when the tripod is setup, but when it is being moved about or transported. The tripod legs are heavy and if one leg was to be suddenly twisted, impacted or dropped, then that could be a problem.

By the way, I'm not selling these. For my needs, I like this mount's design as an alternative to my two EQ mounts. I'm just showing how I'm making it more useable for me.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: dksolar3294]
      #5458725 - 10/07/12 01:46 AM

This is 3/4" oak wood and that is fairly strong, but it is weak compared to aluminum when stress is applied along the grain.
The holes you drilled in a row along the grain are compromising the strength of the wood along this grain.
Wood is not that strong along the grain, it has strength across the grain and that is why lumber is cut the way it is at the mill. When you use a flat piece of wood with no other support like a under frame of gussets, then the wood is subject to breaking along the line of the grain.
The other pieces of wood do nothing to strengthen the top piece, there is the gap between them where there is only the 3/4" piece of wood and the grain runs through this gap.
It is your mount so no skin off my nose.
Blueman
Quote:

OK, Re: first picture, there are 3 holes in the top 3/4" piece aligned with the wood grain. However, this is not a problem. In order to snap this piece, substantial differential pressure would be required - much like snapping glass along a score line. Weight from the motor unit is fairly evenly distributed in & inside the circular grove. The motor unit rest directly on the wood and not the screws used to secure the motor in place. This wood does not bend and the multiple laminated pieces makes sure of it. This is oak, not balsa. The wood high stress & weak points are directly above the leg bolts. However, it should easily hold 100#, which is adequate for the motor unit, scope & counterweight.

The real danger with this arrangement is not when the tripod is setup, but when it is being moved about or transported. The tripod legs are heavy and if one leg was to be suddenly twisted, impacted or dropped, then that could be a problem.

By the way, I'm not selling these. For my needs, I like this mount's design as an alternative to my two EQ mounts. I'm just showing how I'm making it more useable for me.

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: ur7x]
      #5458895 - 10/07/12 07:44 AM

Quote:

Understand that this is a brand new freshly designed $1000 mount that people are having to re-engineer with plywood and home depot wire rope to keep it together.

Agree with ur7x.

Folks, wouldn't 'NOT buying' be a simpler fix than re-engineering it?

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: mmalik]
      #5459125 - 10/07/12 11:19 AM

This chapter of the LX80 saga is like a sequel to _Waiting for Godot_.

Estragon: I read about users who went through eight of these, and I don't quite understand what some of the issues were. I just need to fix the tripod head so my scope doesn't suddenly crash to the ground when it breaks.

Vladimir: Godot should be here soon to fix all of the problems.

Estragon: It is fortunate Godot gave me a one year warranty. Now I just need to fix all the problems I find with my brand new mount while I wait for Godot to come and fix the ones I can't.

Vladimir: I'm hungry. It's cloudy at my place, so I don't know if my LX 80 works or not. Godot will know what to do.

Estragon: I need a wrench. I have a bag of m&ms in my pocket. I'll give them to you if you'll lend me a wrench.

Vladimir: I just have some pliers. I'll lend them to you if you'll give me your m&ms.

Estragon: OK. I need to get something fixed so I can try to use my LX 80 while we wait for Godot to fix the problems no one else can.

Vladimir: look, someone is coming! Perhaps we don't have to figure out how to fix our mounts!

Pozzo [Dragging Lucky with a hand controller]: So, you have everything fixed?

Estragon: No, we're just playing with some ideas for fixing the most serious structural defects while we wait for Godot to fix the insides with new motors, gears, and a revised control system.

Vladimir: Do you work for Godot? Do you have our new motors, gears, and control systems? And some of us have dry bearings. Will you fix that, too? I'd like to use my brand new mount to do what the specifications promise.

Pozzo [handing hat to Lucky]: Tell them what you know. But be careful! If you say one harsh word about Godot, I'll erase everything you've ever said!

Lucky: The core performance characteristic of any powered mount is its drive's uniformity; even though the LX 80 has shown multiple structural issues, it's the drive performance which has been causing people to return them, as it has turned out no LX 80 has ever had its tracking tested and documented to meet the specification, even with half the rated payload installed, which means this hasn't been a case of finding a few bad mounts amongst good ones, so returning makes sense especially since a little research shows non-Godot mounts from iOptron, Orion, Celestron, or Vixen all can be bought with documented superior performance for less money; which may be the biggest issue of all since Godot must know the replacement structural parts, motors, gears, and control systems needed to make these mounts meet specification will cost more than they made when they sold them; so to wait for Godot seems [cut off as Pozzo yanks the hat back].

Pozzo: That is quite enough! Now move along! [Pozzo leads Lucky away]

Estragon: I'm hungry now. Do you have any m&ms left?

Vladimir: I'm sure Godot will have a snack for you.

-Rich

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5459242 - 10/07/12 12:35 PM

Get it back on topic!

David

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5459944 - 10/08/12 12:04 AM

Happy Birthday Dave!

Joe

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: dksolar3294]
      #5460279 - 10/08/12 09:29 AM

Here is a picture of a machined tripod top replacement for a Meade LT or LS. I am working with the machinists on getting a replacement made for the LX80.

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5460280 - 10/08/12 09:30 AM

Here is the view of the bottom of the aluminum tripod top replacement for the Meade LT/LS.

Jack Huerkamp

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5460302 - 10/08/12 09:49 AM

Jack, That's super stuff! However if you start machining custom parts that cost 25% of the original unit (LX80) price, you quickly push into the area of higher cost gear.

Believe me, I remember being young enough and healthy enough to enjoy the effort of taking something (ok) and making it (GREAT). I understand the thrill and enjoyment of - the hunt. However, back in the day way knew what we had. What we were starting with was well documented and unchanging. They weren't so much "defects" but product limitations.

I don't think purchasers should have to come up with fixes to product flaws and "not as described" limitations. But that's just me.

Best, Joe

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5460438 - 10/08/12 11:14 AM

Jack,

When you get price, I'd like to know. Also, this looks like it could be adapted to a pier. Any interest in that?

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: Mkofski]
      #5460603 - 10/08/12 12:53 PM

Mike,

The gentleman who is making the tripod top plates also makes piers for them. I will try to get some information on them once he has a prototype LX80 tripod top plate.

Jack Huerkamp

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5460882 - 10/08/12 03:58 PM Attachment (54 downloads)

Gday Jack

You havent used anywhere near enough aluminium for that
Have attached piccies of how much plate ( and time) i wasted on my adapter for the LS.
If you loosen the three tripod screws, you can rotate the triangular top plate, thus allowing the tripod to be set up any way you want. The three screws allow the scope ( when fitted ) to be easily levelled.
There is a new plate attached to the base of the LS to
a) Act as a base for the three point support
b) Act as an adapter to allow it to be fitted to my LX200 wedge.

It does vibrate a little, but not noticable for visual work.

Andrew

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5460889 - 10/08/12 04:02 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

And heres the base of the scope.
The plate is the size it is
a) to allow neat/solid fitting to the wedge
b) To stop the 6" version of the LS toppling over when bumped, due to it being side heavy.
( I suspect thats what the little skirt under the fork arm is for )

Andrew

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: jmiele]
      #5460890 - 10/08/12 04:03 PM

Quote:

Happy Birthday Dave!

Joe

Thanks, Joe! And Jack...you bringing that to the next meeting? We'd like to see it.

David

Meade Instr.
Vendor Meade Instruments

Reged: 09/13/11

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5461199 - 10/08/12 08:12 PM

We have released a new firmware update for the LX80, and are now shipping the APM module.

For more information please read the following thread in the Vendor forum:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5461197&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&fpart=&vc=#Post5461197

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: Meade Instr.]
      #5461219 - 10/08/12 08:28 PM

Dang !!

Now why did they not come out with that earlier. Oh well, better late than never. If only they would have done a complete thorough checkout of all functionality before they shipped the first ones.

If you follow the link, and read what they fixed (hopefully), then you will see that they say they are addressing everything, including guiding via Envisage, and including support now for ST4 guiding. And they say they have fixed the PEC problem. Now THAT would be nice.

Congratulations to Meade on this release.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5461227 - 10/08/12 08:31 PM

David,

As soon as I get one, I will be sure to bring it to one of our meetings.

Jack

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5461234 - 10/08/12 08:36 PM

David,

I guess there are advantages of it taking 10 months to have my order filled... I just came in from setting up to try to test PE. Looks like I should upgrade first.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: Mkofski]
      #5461243 - 10/08/12 08:41 PM

Gday Mike

You are trying to register the unguided PEC off characteristics first
Get to PEC training after you find out what your starting datum is like.

Andrew

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5461267 - 10/08/12 09:01 PM

G'day Andrew.

I had just decided to go ahead with the test tonight. If I don't screw it up again, we can have some before and after data.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19474

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics