Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5496377 - 10/30/12 03:25 PM

I was thinking beyond the LX 80- a general purpose tripod.

-Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5496564 - 10/30/12 05:35 PM

Rob Miller sells tripods. But they cost about as much as an LX-80 mount.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
      #5496628 - 10/30/12 06:17 PM

When I got home from work, I quickly unpacked the LX80 mount head to see what Meade Service had been able to accomplish. Before placing the mount onto the tripod, I read the service ticket to see what they had done to the mount. I had reported too much play in the axes (especially the Azimuth axis) and had sent them links to the YouTube videos I posted clearly showing the problem. Their service tech reported "Motor's were to tight, forced motor's" and "Adjusted motors". I also found an "RGA Traveler/Checklist" that stated "Flag for Mexico". I don't know if this means that servicing was done in Mexico.

So to correct play in the axes, the technician losened up the motors. As a mechanical engineer, this seems to me to be the opposite of what was needed.

I set up the mount and C9.25" OTA with Celestron 22# counterweight and check the play in RA. It was basically the same as when I sent the mount in for servicing.

I assume that the mount is incapable of carrying a 20# OTA and will have to limit the mount's use to Alt-Az with either my Lunt80 or my Celestron 6".

Maybe one day Meade will get the issues with the LX80 corrected. But at this time, that is not the case.

Jack Huerkamp

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
      #5496707 - 10/30/12 07:03 PM

That's too bad Jack. I'll be interested in what they'll say this time.

My mount still has no play whatsoever in the RA bearing, although the heaviest scope I've mounted so far is a TV85. AFAIK I'm one of only a few that can say that.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: JimMo]
      #5496736 - 10/30/12 07:16 PM

Jim,

I have had about 20 pounds on my mount with out problems with play in either AltAz or Polar mode. It looks as if some have a problem and some don't. When did you receive your mount?

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

#5496756 - 10/30/12 07:33 PM Attachment (66 downloads)

Gday Jack

Quote:

So to correct play in the axes, the technician losened up the motors. As a mechanical engineer, this seems to me to be the opposite of what was needed.

I cant find where i posted these piccies earlier ( as it was a really long thread ) so am reposting here.
Whilst i still havent seen/measured a real worm, we now have enough pictures to prove the worm used is closer to a precision UNC thread than a true worm.
Ie its pressure angles appear far greater than should be used for a worm.
Thus under load, it will spring out far more easily than a proper worm thread.
The current design should work OK under low load, but any reasonable inertial loading is going to spring the worm.

Andrew

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5496983 - 10/30/12 09:59 PM

Andrew,

Well that makes it clear why there is so much play - especially since the gears are spring loaded. Thanks for posting the comparison photos.

I wonder why Meade chose to go with this gear design for the LX80 - especially when they were advertising it with up to a 75# load capacity. In my case I will have to keep the load down to my C6 with 11# counterweight in A/A mode. It seems to handle that setup well enough.

Jack

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#5496992 - 10/30/12 10:07 PM

Hi Everyone,
Looks like the dreaded worm is causing problems again. Sorry to hear about your mount not getting fixed Jack. I was hoping that since they did the firmware update they might of addressed the wormblock problem. I really wanted my LX80 to work out for imaging. If anyone ever gets the LX80 to work for long imaging I would recommend making modifications to make the tripod real sturdy and solid. I returned my LX80 for a CGEM DX and that tripod is solid and it really makes a difference for imaging.
neilson

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5497116 - 10/31/12 12:15 AM Attachment (37 downloads)

Gday Jack

Quote:

I wonder why Meade chose to go with this gear design for the LX80 - especially when they were advertising it with up to a 75# load capacity.

No idea. I was hoping they might have reused something like in the LS.
Thats really rock solid in RA and no cheap plastic gears in sight.

Andrew

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5497365 - 10/31/12 07:17 AM

Andrew,

So it appears Meade went with a better worm/worm gear combination in a mount that supports a much lower load! No wonder the LX80 has drive related issues.

Jack

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5497389 - 10/31/12 07:47 AM

Quote:

Jim,

I have had about 20 pounds on my mount with out problems with play in either AltAz or Polar mode. It looks as if some have a problem and some don't. When did you receive your mount?

In August, one of the first to ship as mount only, I believe from the second batch shipped from overseas. Got it from Skies Unlimited.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#5497512 - 10/31/12 09:57 AM

Hi Andrew,
That's an impressive looking setup. When you have something that works great you don't change it. That setup looks like it has a nice size motor too. Maybe they figured they could use a bunch of plastic gears in the LX80 and get away with a smaller motor to reduce their production costs by a few dollars. I have never owned an LS but I'm guessing that they have had few mechanical problems in the drive if any. A nice simple but solid design.

neilson

Edited by neilson (10/31/12 10:17 AM)

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: neilson]
      #5497545 - 10/31/12 10:28 AM

Given what just happened on that "Repair," it would appear Meade has no idea there are any issues with the LX80 drive.

-Rich

exparrot

Reged: 02/13/12

Loc: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5497688 - 10/31/12 12:28 PM

Quote:

Given what just happened on that "Repair," it would appear Meade has no idea there are any issues with the LX80 drive.

-Rich

You may be right, Rich, but how could they not know?

Reading about Jack's repair experience is troubling, so pardon my little rant. As a vocal proponent of the mount, I am trying not to loose faith, but that's growing more difficult when I hear about Meade's obliviousness to these well-documented mechanical issues.

I have hung in with them this long because they appeared to be addressing all reported issues, slowly, but surely. Now, I'm not so certain about that.

Regardless of whether or not I ever do AP, or hang a heavy OTA off the thing, I expect it to perform as advertised. If that means recalling it and upgrading the worm assembly, or flat out replacing the entire mount, then so be it. But, no matter what, Meade should not pretend ignorance of the issue. Indeed, there has been an abundance of reports to Meade regarding issues with capacity/RA-slop/tracking/etc. with this mount. What is the recall hold up?

I'm no engineer, but it seems clear that firmware updates are not going to alleviate improper/faulty mechanicals, so Meade needs to address this. Hopefully, this is not going to require the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" process.

Jerry

greju
Carpal Tunnel

#5497720 - 10/31/12 12:51 PM

Quote:

Gday Jack

Quote:

I wonder why Meade chose to go with this gear design for the LX80 - especially when they were advertising it with up to a 75# load capacity.

No idea. I was hoping they might have reused something like in the LS.
Thats really rock solid in RA and no cheap plastic gears in sight.

Andrew

You meant the LX, right?

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: greju]
      #5497992 - 10/31/12 03:49 PM

Quote:

You meant the LX, right?

No, I think he meant "LS" for "LightSwitch" which is what the photo looked like to me. I've had several "LX" and they don't resemble the photo.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: neilson]
      #5498136 - 10/31/12 05:32 PM

Gday Neilson

Quote:

When you have something that works great you don't change it.

Sadly, it doesnt work great "as a system" for all things.
The LS has a rock solid RA axle and drive, but the DEC axle is iffy, and with the design as is, there are no clutches. Anything goes in the electronics ( which are ALL on one massive PCB ), and you are dead, unless you dismount the OTA.
That said, when it all works in AltAz, it IS impressive.

Also, the LS code has very little ability for a user to do anything "manually", like pick your own stars if in a confined area.
You cannot create tours or add user data like you used to be able to.
Sooo swings and roundabouts,
but the RA wormwheel and motor is nice .

Andrew

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5498138 - 10/31/12 05:36 PM

Gday Jack

Quote:

So it appears Meade went with a better worm/worm gear combination in a mount that supports a much lower load!

Looks like it, but then again, the drive system in the LS wont fit into an LX80, so i guess it was a standard size vs cost vs capability tradeoff.
I still would have expected the LX80 to use a gearhead motor and a proper worm tho, even if it meant a different wormwheel.

Andrew

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Lx80 Multi-mount new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5498155 - 10/31/12 05:44 PM

Gday Dave

Quote:

No, I think he meant "LS" for "LightSwitch" which is what the photo looked like to me.

Correct. The picture was of a Lightswitch RA drive, which has plenty of space for a good sized wormwheel.
I havent seen an LT drivetrain, but my understanding is it may be similar to the LX80.
Ie the LX80 motor/geartrain appears almost identical to the LX90, but just uses a different final worm/wormwheel assy.

Andrew

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5498400 - 10/31/12 08:22 PM

I would like to hack that RA drive into an etx. Looks very nice.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18432

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics