Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Variable Star Observing and Radio Astronomy

Pages: 1
scubaanddreams

Reged: 11/24/08

Comp Stars; Aavso chart does not have them... new
      #5448856 - 09/30/12 05:27 PM

Situation:

AAVSO Field does not have comp stars; it has been requested but been informed this may take a while (AAVSO is awesome by the way this is no diss in any way). Other than performing allsky photometry is there another way to find out the Vmag of a star in the field (other than AAVSO)? Attempting qatar-1b and my FOV is pretty small given my setup 20x20 arcmins or so.

Edited by scubaanddreams (09/30/12 05:27 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NJScope
sage

Reged: 03/08/04

Loc: NJ
Re: Comp Stars; Aavso chart does not have them... new [Re: scubaanddreams]
      #5449369 - 09/30/12 11:01 PM

The coordinates for the host star of qatar 1b are RA 20:13:31.61, DEC +65:09:43.4. Plug this value into Aladin on the SIMBAD site and it will resolve all the stars in the FOV (adjustable). By selecting (file/load catalog/Surveys in VizieR) an appropriate catalog survey (eg TYCHO-2, 2MASS etc), you should be able to get the Vmags for many of the surrounding stars. A survey specific correction factor will need to be applied in order to transform survey magnitudes to the standardized BVRI Johnson-Cousins system (http://www.aerith.net/astro/color_conversion.html).

scubaanddreams

Re: Comp Stars; Aavso chart does not have them... new [Re: NJScope]
      #5449637 - 10/01/12 05:42 AM

Thanks Kevin!

scubaanddreams

Re: Comp Stars; Aavso chart does not have them... new [Re: scubaanddreams]
      #5450279 - 10/01/12 02:42 PM

And here are my results. This is my first attempt at an observation of an exoplanet. Too bad I can't tell time and was off by an hour, hence only have data for the first half. Utilized Kevin's technique (thanks again!) outlined above, but obviously made a mistake somewhere as I am off by .2 in Vmag. Taken last night, 30 Sep 2012 from the Netherlands.

gavinm
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/26/05

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Re: Comp Stars; Aavso chart does not have them... [Re: scubaanddreams]
      #5452239 - 10/02/12 04:33 PM

Nice results. This is pretty much the only use for my g'r'i filters - finding checkstars. I take a set of colour calibration frames before my imaging run. I then use this to measure the colour of my target and all the neighbouring stars. I then find checkstars in the FOV with about the same magnitude and colour. There are usually 3 or 4. I then choose the one that is the least variable. For transits (ie short) variability seems to be less of an issue.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS) 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 698

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics