Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
Going to Puerto Rico
      #5456177 - 10/05/12 07:58 AM

Iíve got a chance to go to Puerto Rico. Itíll be the furthest south Iíve ever been.

The smallest scope I have is a ST 80 that I could put on a medium duty camera tripod. Itís an OK scope, but not much better than binoculars. I also have a short tube f5 130mm reflector which works really well on my Voyager mount. But that mount is too heavy for plane travel. Has anyone put a 130mm on a collapsible, camera style mount and been reasonably satisfied? What tripod was itÖ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Going to Puerto Rico new [Re: BSJ]
      #5456290 - 10/05/12 10:02 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

I've had both a A80SS (Vixen Short tube) and a SLT130 OTA (130mm f/5) OTA out to dark skies on trips, and the 130 was definitely much better on DSO's - do you plan to carry on board the OTA? I'd imagine checking it in would require a rather substantial case for protection.

Anyways as for mounting, the 130 works very well with a Porta/PortaII head mounted on a tripod (Giottos 9371 in my case); the head detaches nicely and shouldn't take up too much space in the luggage. I like the offset mounting (like the AT Voyager) for zenith view and the slo-mo controls.

For a really lightweight mount combo I've had it on a DwarfStar head with CF Tripod (Vanguard Elite 1) and it works surprisingly well - head+tripod is just under 5 lb! It may take a while to dampen vibrations at medium power, but imo alot of it comes from over-extending the center column for the OTA to clear the tripod when viewing overhead. Still, it tracks very well, and extends to standing height use easily.

gustavo_sanchez
sage

Reged: 12/30/10

Loc: Puerto Rico, US
Re: Going to Puerto Rico new [Re: core]
      #5456387 - 10/05/12 11:26 AM

You got to hurry! Scorpius is setting early...

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Going to Puerto Rico new [Re: core]
      #5456406 - 10/05/12 11:42 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

Just a quick pic of SLT130 on a Porta/Tripod combo ... this was just this past summer at ~9,000' altitude (CO), the views were incredible!

Pages: 1

Extra information
22 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 446

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics