Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Greg Boynton

Reged: 05/29/09

Byers C14 mount motor noise
      #5457095 - 10/05/12 08:38 PM

I just picked up a Byers retrofit C14 fork and I'm in the process of testing the base before I install the mount. The RA stepper motor seems very noisy to my ear. I've see other stepper motors make noise at certain speeds and maybe it's fine. The seller says he's heard the same thing from another Byers mount. It sounds a bit like a rattle at normal tracking. You can hear it across the room and it's definitely from the motor cogging. Is this something I should worry about or just normal noise?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Greg Boynton

Reged: 05/29/09

Re: Byers C14 mount motor noise new [Re: Greg Boynton]
      #5463002 - 10/09/12 10:41 PM

Update: I was wrong, the noise is from the stepper motor armature banging against the case due to general wear and endplay. I thought it was a cogging problem because the noise changed a lot at different speeds, but that is not the case.

The motors/gearboxes are still available on the Hurst website and Ed Byers has a few left. So a few more bucks spent and I'll be up and running.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 267

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics