Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Backlash Adjustment - G11 new
      #5457619 - 10/06/12 09:03 AM

I just finished reading through the old thread G-11 Blues.

My G11 exhibits 1.1mm of play in the RA worm/gear mesh as measured at the end of the standard Losmandy 15 inch CW bar which is 21" from the center of the PA.
In "doing the math" to convert this to an angular measure. I come up with, more or less, 6.5 arcminutes.

Should I be aiming at bettering this? It seems tricky to get it less without the gears binding.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
Re: Backlash Adjustment - G11 new [Re: dawziecat]
      #5457631 - 10/06/12 09:20 AM

Do you have the OPW-11 (one-piece worm block - see here )? If so, it may not be too difficult to improve without binding. If not, I recommend that you upgrade.

Charlie B

TxStars
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/05

Loc: Lost In Space
      #5457644 - 10/06/12 09:31 AM

"Backlash in the R.A or DEC gear is caused by two things.
First, the meshing of the worm to worm gear and second if there is play of the worm between the two worm bearings"
Play of the worm between the bearings can be seen by watching the worm as you move the Dec by hand with the clutch tight.

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
      #5457685 - 10/06/12 10:02 AM

An update:

I have continued to fiddle and have eliminated the backlash . . . seemingly entirely! No binding . . . worm turns easily with fingers rotating the Oldham coupler.

Sounds too good to be true. I suppose there IS still backlash but it has diminished to the point that I can not reliably even estimate it.There is still noticeable chatter when rotating the worm with the mount unbalanced in the wrong direction so, I guess that means there MUST still be some play in there.

So, I feel this is good.

Stock G11 worm and block, not Ovision and not OPWB.

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
      #5457735 - 10/06/12 10:42 AM

Good for you.

Charlie B

Dan Finnerty
sage

Reged: 09/11/11

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Re: Backlash Adjustment - G11 new [Re: TxStars]
      #5458311 - 10/06/12 06:49 PM

Quote:

"Backlash in the R.A or DEC gear is caused by two things.
First, the meshing of the worm to worm gear and second if there is play of the worm between the two worm bearings"
Play of the worm between the bearings can be seen by watching the worm as you move the Dec by hand with the clutch tight.

I upgraded to the Losmandy OPWB on my G11 and ended up with a lot of play at the end of CW shaft, maybe 5 to 7mm. An unacceptable amount. I could not eliminate it by cranking down on the worm without RA stalling. I came across a post on the Losmandy yahoo forum that suggested the problem could be end play in the worm between the blocks and provided a link to some shims. I ordered several thicknesses (.002 and .006 inches as I recall). It took about 4 shims of varying thicknesses to tighten things up, but it did solve the problem. I left things at about 2mm end play on the CW shaft and it all seems to work just fine.

JoseBorrero
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/04/09

Loc: Puerto Rico Island
Re: Backlash Adjustment - G11 [Re: Dan Finnerty]
      #5458593 - 10/06/12 11:05 PM

theres a great info in losmandy user groups, it start some where in astromart website http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=861

but the true info is in yahoogroups goodluck

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 638

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics