Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
kt4hx

Reged: 01/21/09

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va
ES Twilight II Pier Extension new
      #5456980 - 10/05/12 06:46 PM

Wondering if anyone has the Twilight II with pier extension? I just got the extension this evening, but of course, no instructions were in the box. If it is intuitive to install, I sure haven't found a way yet. Appreciate any advice anyone might have for getting this thing installed. Pictures would be worth a thousand words, as they say. Purchased from Highpoint Scientific and they are going to have ES email me some instructions, but not sure when that might happen.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim7728
Postmaster

Reged: 04/10/05

Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC
Re: ES Twilight II Pier Extension new [Re: kt4hx]
      #5456998 - 10/05/12 07:01 PM

Alan:

What specifically has you confused? It seems to install the same as the Orion and Vixen "pier" extensions which I have used with a Twilight II head.

kt4hx

Reged: 01/21/09

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va
Re: ES Twilight II Pier Extension new [Re: Jim7728]
      #5459082 - 10/07/12 10:52 AM

Thanks Jim. Problem was, I didn't assemble the Twilight. It was a floor model and the head came to me already assembled, so didn't have the benefit of having assembled it once. Anyway, I subsequently found instructions on the OPT site, so that problem was taken care. However, when I tried to dis-assemble the head in order to install the extension, I found that whomever assembled the head at HPS had overtightened the 4mm hex screws to the point of stripping out the heads. Even with a screw extractor, I was unable to get the screws out because they had been torqued so much. I suspect that the person used a drill rather than the arm-strong method. So I contacted them again requesting assistance, and they have forwarded my emails on to Explore Scientific. Since HPS were the ones who assembled the head, then I feel someone should make this good, even if it means supplying me with a new Twilight head. So, I am waiting now to see what ES says about all this.

Jan Owen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Sun City West, Arizona
Re: ES Twilight II Pier Extension new [Re: Jim7728]
      #5459127 - 10/07/12 11:20 AM

Don't want to take this thread off course, but I have a question; can the Twilight II mount be bolted directly onto a SVP/SV AZ tripod, as easily as it apparently connects to the Orion pier extensions??? I have several of these tripods (and even a Meade field tripod & an Atlas tripod) available for use, and if I can bolt a TII to them, I'd be leaning toward buying one of these mounts...

Jim7728
Postmaster

Re: ES Twilight II Pier Extension new [Re: kt4hx]
      #5459452 - 10/07/12 03:23 PM

Ah, I see where it got confusing. The Orion and Vixen were a little simpler install.

http://www.optcorp.com/pdf/Explore/Assembly%20of%20Twilight%20II%20Mount.pdf

Sorry about the frozen Hex screws, maybe a little Liquid Wrench will free them up. Hopefully one of the vendors will come through. Good luck.

Jim7728
Postmaster

Re: ES Twilight II Pier Extension new [Re: Jan Owen]
      #5459500 - 10/07/12 04:00 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Quote:

can the Twilight II mount be bolted directly onto a SVP/SV AZ tripod, as easily as it apparently connects to the Orion pier extensions???

Jan: The Twilight II head should just drop in as the bottom has the 10mm threaded hole and azimuth post notch for equatorial tripod bases as well as the 2-5/16" x 3/8" protrusion or tenon that sits in the tripod base hole.

Jan Owen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Sun City West, Arizona
Re: ES Twilight II Pier Extension [Re: Jim7728]
      #5459547 - 10/07/12 04:35 PM

Thanks!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
22 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 773

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics