Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Christopher Erickson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
Re: Mount for 16" SCT new [Re: TxStars]
      #5470902 - 10/15/12 01:29 AM

Quote:

Using the radius blocks and dovetails seems like a lot of weight would be held with small screws and an aluminum casting.
I would opt for the Parallax rings with dovetails to increase the stability of the scope.

Only down side is added weight, not that it would be a problem for the AP1600 mount.

I have used radius blocks on Meade 16" SCT's a fair number of times without incident. There are threaded holes for them already in the OTA. It makes for a very strong mounting solution. The Astro-Physics and Losmandy radius blocks and dovetail bars for Meade's 16" SCT's are big and beefy.

Be advised that the Classic LX200-16 OTA's are slightly longer than the LX200GPS-16's and the dovetail bars are different lengths. The radius blocks are the same. Make sure to get the right bar.

If you have a Classic LX200-16, you also have the option of sending your existing electronics to Ron Sampson in the USA for repair. Ron has been repairing the electronics for the Classic LX200's for a fair number of years and a typical repair is about $350, the last time I checked. Ron does not have a web site but he can be reached at rsampsonus@yahoo.com

There is also a Yahoo group dedicated to the LX200-16 scopes (both Classic and GPS) and you might benefit from checking it out.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/16-LX200

The Astro-Physics 1200GTO and 1600GTO are both excellent mounts and you wouldn't go wrong with either of those choices. Astro-Physics has top-notch customer support and they will sell you whatever parts you might need in the future.

I am not a fan of Software Bisque Paramounts. Proprietary software and proprietary/undocumented serial commands.

If you go with a GEM mount, I would certainly use radius blocks and dovetail bars instead of going with rings.

I hope this helps!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tuugii
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/22/07

Loc: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Re: Mount for 16" SCT new [Re: Christopher Erickson]
      #5470930 - 10/15/12 02:05 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

Chris, thank you for the suggestion. But in the meantime I think a new mount is the way to go. (I have already submitted the proposal)

But there are couple of other equipments where in the future we could do upgrades as you're suggesting. I will let you know!

TxStars, thats what is feels like I agree with you. But those small bolts and screws could be just fine, check the attached picture, it shows the 16" sct ota on the fornax mount.

Tuugii
professor emeritus

Re: Mount for 16" SCT new [Re: Tuugii]
      #5470942 - 10/15/12 02:16 AM

Dear Chris, we will fix that old fork mount eventually and will try to make use of it. It's issue with the 16" OTA is not just the damaged electronics but it just not suited for operation in cold weather. As I mentioned previously, even before the lightning strike its motors were acting weird. Plus we have tried sending the motors to U.S. for fixing, but without any success.

There are couple of old russian otas of ~12" size, where we could use the fork mount in the future for just public EP viewing. I will definitely keep in mind your suggestions on that.

And thanks for the heads up on the difference between the classic and gps versions of the 16". Ours is about 10 years old, I am sure it is the classic one.

TxStars
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/05

Loc: Lost In Space
      #5472327 - 10/15/12 09:35 PM

Quote:

TxStars, thats what is feels like I agree with you. But those small bolts and screws could be just fine, check the attached picture, it shows the 16" sct ota on the fornax mount.

If you look close at the picture you will see that they used "Rings" on the 16"

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5472420 - 10/15/12 10:32 PM

I have to agree with the rings. I did this for a C14 for the added stability, not to mention that loading it into the "cradle" that having rings on the mount opened up becomes sure makes installing the scope easier.

David

Tuugii
professor emeritus

#5472692 - 10/16/12 03:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If you look close at the picture you will see that they used "Rings" on the 16"

oops I didn't notice it until you mention!

I have asked the guy from AP again, and he keeps saying the dovetail is just fine for direct attachment... but you guys keep reminding me that is necessary for stability...

Christopher Erickson
Carpal Tunnel

#5472706 - 10/16/12 03:31 AM

The massive casting of the back plate of the 16 is much beefier than any ring you can buy and put around the scope.

And the screws that hold on the fork brackets are the same size as the screws that go into the radius blocks.

And in fact, a dovetail bar supported by radius blocks on each end of the OTA is a more stable and rigid configuration than the fork brackets of the original design that only attach to the back end of the scope.

It is my opinion, as an owner of two LX200-16's and who works on four more LX200-16's for others, that rings have no advantage over the Astro-Physics beefy dovetail bars and beefy radius blocks. The Meade front ring and back plate of the 16's are way beefier than any after-market rings.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
      #5472712 - 10/16/12 03:48 AM

If you use rings you can bolt them directly to the saddle, bypassing dovetail attachment mechanisms and any flex they introduce. Some people like that.

Regardless of which mounting path you take, it is a good idea to attach another dovetail bar on the top of the OTA (or rings) opposite the one on the bottom.

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Re: Mount for 16" SCT new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5473240 - 10/16/12 12:31 PM

My Mak, pictured above, came with a dove-tail plate to fit the regular Losmandy type saddle. I was not comfortable with that, so I removed the plate and drilled the mounting hole pattern for the A-P 1200 into the primary plate, and bolted it directly to the mount.

Note: the Mak has strong internal rings the radius blocks bolt to. The scope is a 16" fitted to a 20" tube. Plenty of room for the internal rings. A Matthias Wirth design.

Christopher Erickson
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mount for 16" SCT new [Re: EddWen]
      #5473786 - 10/16/12 06:38 PM

Just a final note that not all LX200-16 scopes are created equal.

The LX200-16 Classic OTA requires a 26" dovetail bar to make it between the radius blocks.

Most LX200GPS-16 OTA's take a shorter dovetail bar.

Tuugii
professor emeritus

#5473890 - 10/16/12 07:35 PM

Chris, with your note I have double checked everything and the scope in Mongolia is the classic LX200 OTA, so I think I will need the 26" dovetail bar.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4121

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics