Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
daveCollins

Reged: 05/06/11

Loc: Washington DC
The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas
      #5459844 - 10/07/12 08:49 PM

I received this atlas the other day.
Iíve been waiting for it for a few months while it was on pre-order. It was just released last week. I also have the following atlases:
  • Atlas of the Moon (Rukl)
  • Lunar Orbiter Photographic Atlas (Byrne)
The new atlas is spectacular. It is a large book (13.5 x 10 inches), it has 69 regions, and is supported with 388 images. These images were all taken by the authors and so they are from the perspective of what you would see through an eyepiece if you had perfect seeing with a perfect scope. It is the quality of the images which makes this atlas the best lunar atlas Iíve ever seen. Note that it isnít like Ruklís atlas in that the entire lunar surface (near side) isnít shown. But my other two atlases don't even come close to the quality of presentation of the new atlas for those areas that they have in common. By presentation I also mean annotation and layout.

The regions that are shown have multiple images of major features, where each image has different illumination, perspective, and/or scale. For example, the Apollo 11 landing site has 4 images which clearly show Sabine, Ritter, Aldrin, Collins, and Armstrong. From these images, you are left with a clear idea of how everything should appear before you go to your scope.

Another example is Montes Alpes. The atlas has 7 detailed images of this feature. The central rille is clearly shown in different lighting. Again, it helps if you are looking for this feature to have seen high quality imagery before going to your scope. You'll know basically what your target should look like through the scope.

Don't mean to come off as a salesman. I just wanted to pass along info on a great new resource.

Edited by daveCollins (10/07/12 08:54 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: daveCollins]
      #5459868 - 10/07/12 09:09 PM

Cool. Thanks for sharing this. I just placed an order for a copy.

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: jgraham]
      #5462027 - 10/09/12 12:25 PM

Thanks for the review!!!, Dave!! Appreciate it!! Will be placing my order!!

dan777
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/16/07

Loc: Indiana
      #5469116 - 10/13/12 11:43 PM

Are the images inverted (for newts) by any chance?

waso29
sage

Reged: 05/12/10

Loc: Chi-Town, USA, mother earth
Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: dan777]
      #5469198 - 10/14/12 01:02 AM

Are you able to post a photo of a typical page from the book?
Tks,

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: waso29]
      #5469214 - 10/14/12 01:24 AM

Quote:

Are you able to post a photo of a typical page from the book?
Tks,

Ya I would like to see that too. Amazon doesnt have a "search inside the book" option for this book unfortunately.

daveCollins

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: mark8888]
      #5470488 - 10/14/12 08:29 PM

Images are not reversed. These photographs are of a much inferior quality as compared to the book since I had to make them small enough to post here. So I made them tiny black and white photos. But you can get the general idea of how the book presents its info.

daveCollins

#5470493 - 10/14/12 08:31 PM Attachment (192 downloads)

Picture one:

daveCollins

#5470495 - 10/14/12 08:33 PM Attachment (164 downloads)

Picture Two:

daveCollins

#5470498 - 10/14/12 08:34 PM Attachment (157 downloads)

Picture Three: Close-up of Picture Two

daveCollins

#5470503 - 10/14/12 08:34 PM Attachment (151 downloads)

Picture Four: This is also a close-up of Picture Two. Of course this is a image of Rima Hadley, the Apollo 15 landing site. The book has 6 photos of this site and points out where the landing site actually was. Please note again that the quality of my photos are horrible compared to the book.

Edited by daveCollins (10/14/12 08:43 PM)

daveCollins

#5470556 - 10/14/12 09:01 PM Attachment (120 downloads)

Preface

daveCollins

#5470560 - 10/14/12 09:02 PM Attachment (125 downloads)

These are the regions covered. The book also has a detailed chapter on the moon's geology and other details.

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5470667 - 10/14/12 10:13 PM

Oh,...THAT is one sweet book!! Thanks for posting, Dave!!!

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: RobertED]
      #5470751 - 10/14/12 11:13 PM

Great moon photos and descriptions! Thank you very much for posting these pics, looks like a great book.

deister

Reged: 02/21/07

Loc: Germany
      #5471070 - 10/15/12 08:06 AM

Hello,

here is a link to the german edition. There are some sample pages from the book: Fotografischer Mondatlas.

http://www.oculum.de/oculum/dia.asp?ID=1510201214001230&Nr=978-3-938469-41-5&Dia=0

Clicking to a small page on the left side will show you the big one.

CS

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: deister]
      #5471275 - 10/15/12 10:56 AM

I just got mine and think it's really great! I hope this doesn't cause a major war, but much as I like and use Rukl, I believe I prefer a good photographic atlas.

Bill

RobertED
Post Laureate

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: la200o]
      #5472404 - 10/15/12 10:22 PM

Just ordered mine today from Amazon!! And now!....the wait!!!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5474415 - 10/17/12 02:24 AM

I can't tell by the table of contents; how much of the near side is actually represented? Is it fairly complete, or cherry-picked features like the Kaguya atlas? Is there enough continuity of coverage to actually be an "atlas"?
The Times Atlas of the Moon didn't cover the entire near side either, but the parts missed were *very* few. Is this one like that?

This looks like a very beautiful book. The price is certainly reasonable.

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #5474702 - 10/17/12 09:22 AM

Quote:

I just got mine and think it's really great! I hope this doesn't cause a major war, but much as I like and use Rukl, I believe I prefer a good photographic atlas.

Bill

No worries. Most of us are bibliophiles and enjoy a good excuse to have an extra lunar atlas. No one book ever really covers it all. (Besides, lunar observers rarely indulge in pedantry. )

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: desertstars]
      #5474894 - 10/17/12 11:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Bill

No worries. Most of us are bibliophiles and enjoy a good excuse to have an extra lunar atlas. No one book ever really covers it all. (Besides, lunar observers rarely indulge in pedantry. )

(Unlike deep sky observers?)

Bill

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5474964 - 10/17/12 12:12 PM

Quote:

I can't tell by the table of contents; how much of the near side is actually represented? Is it fairly complete, or cherry-picked features like the Kaguya atlas? Is there enough continuity of coverage to actually be an "atlas"?
The Times Atlas of the Moon didn't cover the entire near side either, but the parts missed were *very* few. Is this one like that?

This looks like a very beautiful book. The price is certainly reasonable.

I don't have it in front of me, but it seems pretty complete; nothing like the nifty but spotty Kaguya Atlas.

Good introductory material as well.

Bill

Edited by la200o (10/17/12 12:13 PM)

desertstars

#5475322 - 10/17/12 03:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bill

(Unlike deep sky observers?)

Bill

Mare Nectaris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/09/08

Loc: Toijala, Finland
      #5475398 - 10/17/12 04:25 PM

Came on post today

The book is large (25,5 cm x 34,5 cm), so it is rather more suitable for use at indoors than by the telescope.

There are 191 pages and 388 photos. The quality of the photos is very good: fine resolution, unified greyscale, well balanced brightness and contrast to bring out features under different illumination yet maintaining the balance of grayscale. The processing of the photos is natural and smooth, the quality of the print is unified and good. The photos have been taken by Alan Chu (10Ē Newton), Mario Weigand (11Ē and 14Ē Schmidt-Cassegrain) and Wolfgang Paech (6Ē refractor and 14Ē Schmidt-Cassegrain). Single photos are also from Michael Theusner (the creator of AviStack) and Wolfgang Sorgenfrey.

The book covers 422 lunar features with an introductory text describing measures, visibility and selenological background.

The features are organized by waxing lunation. There are several photos from a single feature (illumination and also libration when relevant). There is an idex for the first 1-40 features in the beginning of the book, and an index for the features 41-68 at the back of the book. There are no mirror images in the book.

Total of 68 features are covered: Mare Smythii, Mare Crisium, Cleomedes, Endymion, Atlas / Hercules, Montes Taurus, Palus Somnii, Mare Fecunditatis, Langernus / Petavius, Mare Australe, Vlacq, Vallis Rheita, Mare Nectaris, Rupes Altai, Abulfeda, Theophilius, Sinus Asperitatis, Statio Tranquillitatis, Mare Tranquillitatis, Mare Serenitatis, Posidonius, Lacus Mortis, Aristoteles / Eudoxus, Montes Caucasus, Autolycus / Aristillus, Cassini, Montes Alpes, Plato, Montes Teneriffe, Archimedes, Montes Apenninus, Mare Vaporum, Rima Ariadaeus, Rima Hyginus, Sinus Medii, Hipparchus, Ptolemaus, Rupes Recta, Regiomontanus, Maurolycus, South Pole, Clavius, Tycho, Schiller, Palus Epidemiarum, Pitatus, Mare Nubium, Fra Mauro, Mare Cogitum, Mare Insularium, Copernicus, Eratosthenes, Mare Imbrium, Sinus Iridum, Gruithuisen, Mare Frigoris, North Pole, Aristarchus, Kepler, Seleucus, Reiner, Letronne / Hansteen, Gassendi, Mare Humorum, Schickard, Sirsalis, Grimaldi, Mare Orientale. As a bonus there is a NASA photo of the Far Side.

In the beginning of the book there is a 25-page section covering the birth and structure of the moon, selenological basics and types of features. This is based on updated and expanded text of Photographic Moon Book by Alan Chu.

This book is a great, quality resource!

Be well all!

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: Mare Nectaris]
      #5475434 - 10/17/12 04:41 PM

Very fine review! I think it may become my favorite moon book.

Bill

desertstars

#5475655 - 10/17/12 06:31 PM

I've been asked for holiday gift idea, recently. This is very timely!

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5480244 - 10/20/12 11:53 AM

I received my Atlas today!!! (10/20/12) from Amazon. I LOVE IT! It's a very straightforward presentation. The photography is beautiful!!....nice work guys!! My favorite Lunar Atlas was the book put out in the early 1960's......Lunar Atlas by Dinsmore Alter!!!! It very much matches the format!! Did I mention, the photography is beautiful!!!

I highly recommend "The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas" to anyone!!!!!!

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
      #5480598 - 10/20/12 03:32 PM

I really enjoy this book! I like how the authors spend some time with each region and give several different views under different lighting conditions. This makes a very nice companion to a more conventional atlas.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #5485247 - 10/23/12 01:03 PM

Very nice Book

David A Rodger
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/12/03

Loc: North Vancouver, BC, Canada
An error in The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: daveCollins]
      #5485990 - 10/23/12 08:21 PM

I just received my copy this afternoon. It is spectacular. But, have I found an error? I turned to 18 Statio Tranquillitatus, which displays the Apollo 11 landing site and craters named for the astronauts. Now look at the photo on the lower half of the page. Towards the right hand side of the photo an arrow points to an object labelled "Apollo 11 command module." I don't know what this is, but it simply can't be the Command module, which remained in orbit about the moon while Armstrong and Aldrin were on the surface.

Now, you might suggest the photographer caught the command module passing over the landing site. If so, that was in 1969. And what do you think the odds were of a lunar photographer on earth catching that moment? Certainly none of the NASA cameras were able to do that.

And were any of the authors even "around" back in 1969? I don't know.

This is a mystery to me. Perhaps some other reader can explain it.

DAR

Edited by David A Rodger (10/23/12 08:49 PM)

daveCollins

Re: An error in The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: David A Rodger]
      #5486169 - 10/23/12 10:23 PM

It's a thumbnail of the Apollo 11 Command Module placed on the lunar photograph at the approximate location of the landing site. So it is being used as an icon. I am just speculating here, but that is what it looks like to me.

If you look at the other landing sites, they didn't include thumbnails, but instead just point out the landing sites with lines. I guess it was thought that Apollo 11 deserved special attention in the atlas.

By the way, if it were a photograph taken from earth of the command module passing over the surface of the moon, the command module would have to be 2.4km wide! ... See the crater Collins.

daveCollins

#5493723 - 10/28/12 09:22 PM

Quote:

I just received my copy this afternoon. It is spectacular. But, have I found an error? I turned to 18 Statio Tranquillitatus, which displays the Apollo 11 landing site and craters named for the astronauts. Now look at the photo on the lower half of the page. Towards the right hand side of the photo an arrow points to an object labelled "Apollo 11 command module." I don't know what this is, but it simply can't be the Command module, which remained in orbit about the moon while Armstrong and Aldrin were on the surface.

Now, you might suggest the photographer caught the command module passing over the landing site. If so, that was in 1969. And what do you think the odds were of a lunar photographer on earth catching that moment? Certainly none of the NASA cameras were able to do that.

And were any of the authors even "around" back in 1969? I don't know.

This is a mystery to me. Perhaps some other reader can explain it.

DAR

Wow was I wrong!

David, I have an answer for you which may surprise you ... it definitely surprised me. Plate 18 of the atlas has a picture of the command module over the Apollo 11 landing site. The picture was taken out the window of the Lunar Module (LM: The Eagle) looking back towards the Command Service Module (CSM: Columbia). It just happens to frame the landing site. I ran into this NASA image in some research I've been doing. Along with the image was an explanation of what it was showing.

The atlas gives NASA credit for this image in the back of the book (Page 190 under the heading Image Credits).

By the way, the arrow which points to the landing site is incorrect. The landing site is close to that location. I will be posting a thread to this forum with the correct location and associated pictures as soon as I finish getting everything together.

Edited by daveCollins (10/28/12 09:37 PM)

David A Rodger
professor emeritus

Re: An error in The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: daveCollins]
      #5494303 - 10/29/12 09:38 AM

Hi, Dave;

I'm a little confused by your explanation. Are you suggesting that either Armstrong or Aldrin took a picture of the Command Service Module (with Collins aboard) from the Lunar Module? Since, as you say, you're getting more information together, you needn't respond at this point. But I am still baffled as to how a photo of the CSM could be taken from anywhere and have it appear against the landing site. But I'll withhold further comment until I see what your research into this oddity provides. I did note, as you did, that this was a NASA photo. But the perspective seems to make no sense. It's as if someone else was in orbit above the CSM with Collins, and took the photo. Weird!

DAR

David A Rodger
professor emeritus

#5494310 - 10/29/12 09:42 AM

Upon further thought, perhaps the photo was taken while both vehicles were in orbit. That occurred both before landing and after take-off from the moon. But for this perspective to be correct, the Lunar Module would have to have been in a higher orbit or trajectory than the Command Service Module. I don't think that occurred, but I could be wrong. Perhaps there was a brief situation where the Lunar Module was higher than the CSM. But I doubt it.

Keep on digging, Dave!

DAR

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5494463 - 10/29/12 11:21 AM Attachment (30 downloads)

It does make perfect sense!! I'm sure, though I haven't done any actual physical research, that both spacecraft did photograph each other during docking and undocking manoevers.I have seen a gorgeous photo taken during the Apollo 17 descent of the CSM about 2 miles away from the LM with the lunar mountains providing an awesome backdrop!!

CSM and Taurus-Littrow landing site
December 10, 1972

http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo_gallery.html

RobertED
Post Laureate

Re: An error in The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: RobertED]
      #5494484 - 10/29/12 11:35 AM Attachment (30 downloads)

I found the photo in question....not much tech info, but a NASA photo number....a place to start!!..... AS11-37-5447.jpg

http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo_gallery.html

CSM "Columbia" and Crater Moltke. This view also includes the Apollo 11 landing site, which is just above and to the left of Columbia.CSM from LM

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5494527 - 10/29/12 12:01 PM

https://lpod.wikispaces.com/July+20,+2011

...a brief mention here!!!

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5494545 - 10/29/12 12:10 PM

AS11-37-5447 (OF300) ( 195k or 1559k )
Command Module over western Sea of Tranquility. Crater Moltke is at the upper left. North is to the right. This view also includes the Apollo 11 landing site, which is just above and to the left of Columbia. Research by Danny Caes. As indicated in a labeled version by Markus Mehring, the Apollo 11 landing site is at the center of the photo, NNW of the CSM and ESE of the Cat's Paw landmark. The sharp-rimmed crater at the lower left edge is Moltke. Hypatia Rille (also known as U.S. 1) extends through the top left corner of the image. The crater directly to the right of the CSM has been named Collins following the Apollo 11 mission. The crater Aldrin is in the top right corner of this image. The third crater named in honor of the Apollo 11 crew, Armstrong, would be to the lower right of this photo and cannot be seen here. During the Apollo 11 mission, the craters Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins were still referred to as Sabine E, D and B respectively, with Sabine C being the crater that forms a triangle with B and D in this photo. Scan courtesy NASA Johnson.

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5494557 - 10/29/12 12:17 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/images11.html

daveCollins

#5494579 - 10/29/12 12:35 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

This is a picture taken from the Command Module of the Lunar Module after separation during the Apollo 11 mission. As you can see, the moon isn't in the background. So it is entirely conceivable that during the separation maneuver, the Command Module was between the Lunar Module and the Moon.

Photo - NASA AS11-44-6598 obtained from Here.

daveCollins

#5494590 - 10/29/12 12:42 PM Attachment (69 downloads)

NASA Quote: (This is for a similar but different picture)

Quote:

The Apollo 11 Command/Service modules are photographed from the Lunar Module in lunar orbit during the Apollo 11 lunar landing mission. The lunar surface below is in north central Sea of Fertility. The coordinates of the center of the picture are 51 degrees east longitude and 1 degree north latitude. About half of the crater Taruntius G is visible in the lower left corner of the picture. Part of Taruntius H can be seen at lower right.

NASA Quote:

Quote:

An interior view of the Apollo 11 Lunar Module showing some of the displays and controls. Mounted in the Lunar Module window is a 16mm data acquisition camera which has a variable frame speed of 1, 6, 12 and 24 frames per second.

Below is a picture of a camera mounted in a window. I found another picture which shows a second camera mounted in the other forward facing window. So there are at least two cameras, one on the left and one on the right.

Photo - NASA AS11-36-5389 Obtained from Here.

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5495107 - 10/29/12 06:21 PM

You, my friend, Dave!!!....are a "steely-eyed" missle man!! Great work!!

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #5495530 - 10/29/12 11:20 PM

Got my book today

daveCollins

#5495561 - 10/29/12 11:43 PM

Quote:

CSM and Taurus-Littrow landing site
December 10, 1972

Thanks Robert, that's a wonderful picture. Haven't seen it before. I love the soft look of the mountains. It seems that many images of the moon are over-sharpened, so it is nice to see an image which has a more natural look to it.

operascope
sage

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
      #5495919 - 10/30/12 09:30 AM

I'm no expert in the subject, but I do know that orbital mechanics can sometimes be a little counter-intuitive. For example, to catch up to another ship for docking, you need to decelerate. That puts you into a lower (and faster) orbit, allowing you to catch up. Perhaps that is at play here.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: operascope]
      #5501474 - 11/02/12 07:52 PM

Sounds like a great book, I'm waiting for mine with great anticipation. Unfortunately I ordered just a bit too close to last weekend, and due to Sandy, all deliveries are now postponed. Best shipping estimate from Amazon right now is anywhere between Nov 13 and Nov 28. Hope all is well with everyone back east.

RobertED
Post Laureate

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5502107 - 11/03/12 09:22 AM

We're 'good' here in Rhode Island....enjoying my Atlas....well worth the wait!!!

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

#5513416 - 11/10/12 04:25 PM

Just got mine delivered today and it's beautiful. I can see already it's going to be an excellent companion to my Atlas of the Moon.

IMO, Atlas of the Moon and the Cambridge Atlas are just about as complete a set a lunar observer could want. I love my Kaguya atlas too, but it's just not quite the same, nor does it have the coverage the Cambridge does.

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5513490 - 11/10/12 05:49 PM

I agree with Steve: Cambridge + Rukl just about does it. I really like Kaguya, but the coverage is so spotty.

Bill

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5513796 - 11/10/12 10:57 PM

Personally, I think the Kaguya Book can be twice as thick as it is!! There is so much more that needs to be covered on the Lunar Surface!!....

desertstars

#5524007 - 11/17/12 09:29 AM

More would have been better, but the Kaguya Atlas is still worth having, just for the fun of it.

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5525044 - 11/17/12 08:33 PM

Agreed!!...is IS an excellent book!!

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5525106 - 11/17/12 09:09 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

Guys!!...this is AWESOME!! It's a 3-D image of the Apollo 17 CSM pulling away from the LM over the Apollo 17 landing site!!....get your Red/Blue 3-D glasses....

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/AS17PV147-22466-67HR.jpg

RobDob
sage

Reged: 04/10/10

Loc: Brentwood (East Bay Area), CA
      #5527022 - 11/18/12 10:53 PM

Ahhhh! I want to see this so bad. Need to go to a 3D movie and steal a pair of 3D glasses for this!

Dang, I should have kept those glasses when I saw Puss N Boots 3D!!!

Rob

RobDob
sage

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: RobDob]
      #5527113 - 11/19/12 12:00 AM Attachment (61 downloads)

I was stealing a moment with the book, but she busted me! Love this book!

desertstars

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: RobDob]
      #5527615 - 11/19/12 10:14 AM

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5527818 - 11/19/12 12:09 PM

Love your little "man-cave!!"...RobDob!!! Is that a 10.1" Coulter Odyssey???? I had one of those!!! Sold mine with intentions to get a 13.1" Coulter....never did!! Now THAT was a great little scope for DSO's!!

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
      #5528829 - 11/19/12 09:15 PM

Ordered my copy last night.

RobDob
sage

#5533196 - 11/22/12 12:26 AM

Quote:

Love your little "man-cave!!"...RobDob!!! Is that a 10.1" Coulter Odyssey???? I had one of those!!! Sold mine with intentions to get a 13.1" Coulter....never did!! Now THAT was a great little scope for DSO's!!

Hey thanks RobertED! Yes, it is a Coulter Odyssey 10.1. I've had it since new in 1982'ish. Many, many, memorable views through it!

Rob

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5538134 - 11/25/12 01:04 AM

Quote:

Guys!!...this is AWESOME!! It's a 3-D image of the Apollo 17 CSM pulling away from the LM over the Apollo 17 landing site!!....get your Red/Blue 3-D glasses....

Ahh, man, that's outstanding!

desertstars

#5589058 - 12/25/12 11:34 PM

A copy of this atlas came to me as a holiday gift, today. I haven't had the chance to really look it over, but what I've seen is damned impressive!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5610842 - 01/07/13 08:13 PM

There's a thread about this in the Stellar Media forum too. Let me duplicate one little part: Don't order this atlas online. Everything I ever got shipped by Cambridge came damaged and had to be sent back for replacement; this was no exception. Someone posted a good idea - buy it from Barnes & Nobel (or some other bookstore) so you can inspect it before paying for it.

Other than the damage, though, it's a beautiful book!

Photobud

Reged: 01/07/13

#5615226 - 01/10/13 10:46 AM

Quote:

btw - The red/green glasses from "3-D Atlas of Stars and Galaxies" by Monkhouse and Cox work just fine. The new 3-D glasses from the theaters won't help at all.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: Photobud]
      #5616075 - 01/10/13 07:10 PM

Get copies of Jim Bell's "Moon 3-D" and "Mars 3-D", both in 2-color 3D and both having 3D glasses built in to the front cover.

In the documentary "Shadow of the Moon", there's a clip where John Young of Apollo 16 jumps up and salutes twice, while Charlie Duke takes a picture each time. The Moon book has the 3D picture of Young saluting, apparently hanging about 3 feet off the ground, that was made out of those two shots. Too cool.

Both books a lot of fun! But, why did I bring it up...?
Oh yeah - the above picture isn't in the book. But lots more are!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5619014 - 01/12/13 12:51 PM

Back to the atlas...

I got the damage issue resolved, and I've been spending a bit of time going through this book by itself, plus as a reference to use when reading something else. The more I use it, the better I like it. At first, my take on it was "lots of great pictures, but not a lot of useful notes". But, I find more and more that the notes are useful; and when I want a hard-to-find angle on some object, I quite often find it here.

In some ways, it's set up like the Hatfield atlas, except there's no reference map anywhere other than the general one on the inside book covers. An object or area is shown in as many different lighting situations as possible. It's not a comprehensive atlas, but it definitely fills a niche.

Initially, when I was going to send it back for replacement, I was wondering if I really wanted it after all, and maybe I should just get a refund. But it has grown on me quickly. I'm getting used to the slightly overprocessed images (about half of them), and am really starting to appreciate how well-planned and executed it is.

desertstars

#5619840 - 01/12/13 09:30 PM

I'm having a similar experience. The more familiar with this atlas I become, the better I like it. This is going to make a great suppliment to Rukl's and The Lunar Orbiter Photographic Atlas of the Near Side of the Moon.

Photobud

Reged: 01/07/13

#5624633 - 01/15/13 03:21 PM

How does this compare to the "21st Century Atlas of the Moon"?

desertstars

Re: The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas new [Re: Photobud]
      #5627129 - 01/16/13 10:15 PM

Haven't seen that one, so can't compare the two... yet.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8093

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics