Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
ES Twilight II - 6" Achomat work ok on this?
      #5463106 - 10/09/12 11:38 PM

The Twilight II that Astronomics has on their showroom floor works well with a 5" ES on board. I moved it around over the weekend in the store and it seems to be very smooth. There is no backlash or jumpiness in the movement and it had very little vibration.

I have not used it or even seen it with a 6" scope. Can it handle the 6" without getting the shakes and without falling over.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kwjohnson

Reged: 03/27/11

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Re: ES Twilight II - 6" Achomat work ok on this? new [Re: Lane]
      #5463357 - 10/10/12 06:59 AM

I can't address the 6" achro, but a couple weeks ago I shifted from a C6 to an C8 Edge on mine as my main scope. I found the C6 is beautiful with no counterweight, but added 7 lbs of an ADM counterweight with the C8 to keep the motion fluid and the feel matched in altitude and azimuth. The C8 with finder and eyepiece is about 15 lbs. Obviously also much shorter than an achro and less prone to shakes.

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: ES Twilight II - 6" Achomat work ok on this? new [Re: kwjohnson]
      #5463982 - 10/10/12 02:50 PM

The 6" achro I have is almost as heavy as a C11 but it is also about 12" longer. Works fine on my CGEM mount but I was kind of hoping I could find a nice inexpensive alt-az set up to use with this scope. I guess the LX80 could handle it in ALT-AZ mode, maybe that is route I should go. I really wanted something simpler than that though.

Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
Re: ES Twilight II - 6" Achomat work ok on this? new [Re: Lane]
      #5465435 - 10/11/12 02:04 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Duo-T works well. A good tripod is the best way to reduce the shakes from any mount.

slyke
sage

Reged: 02/21/08

Re: ES Twilight II - 6" Achomat work ok on this? new [Re: Pat at home]
      #5465759 - 10/11/12 06:08 PM

Quote:

Duo-T works well. A good tripod is the best way to reduce the shakes from any mount.

Pat,
Your counterweight configuration looks different from the Duo-T mount on the Canadian telescopes webpage. Can the 'stock' mount be configured this way?
-Stepeh

tomharri
sage

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: USA
Re: ES Twilight II - 6" Achomat work ok on this? new [Re: slyke]
      #5465825 - 10/11/12 07:00 PM

Celestron C6R was too much for my canadian T, even with counterweights hanging off the side, tube too long. The 5" surplus shed f/9.4 achro is the limit for my setup, orion 1&3/4" steel leg tripod with 8" atlas ext. column.
Twilight mount is only good for 4" f/9's max. and 6" sct's or maks. They are just too lightly built. Look good in the pictures, just not in real life.

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: ES Twilight II - 6" Achomat work ok on this? new [Re: tomharri]
      #5466263 - 10/12/12 02:10 AM

I am not sure the Twilight and the Twilight II are the same. The Twilight II definitely handles a 5" without the shakes, I have seen that first hand. But my 6" is a lot heavier that that 5".

That DUO-T looks beefier than the ES mount.

I wish the discmount dm6 was not so expensive, that looks like the best solution.

Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
Re: ES Twilight II - 6" Achomat work ok on this? new [Re: slyke]
      #5466779 - 10/12/12 12:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Pat,
Your counterweight configuration looks different from the Duo-T mount on the Canadian telescopes webpage. Can the 'stock' mount be configured this way?
-Stepeh

Short answer -yes. The rather short counterweight shat is simply screwed in place. A little metal cap covers the threads at the horizontal position, remove it and screw the counter weight shaft into the threaded hole. Takes just a few seconds. The weights shown in my photo are from my EQ-6 with the centre bushing removed.

Pages: 1

Extra information
25 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 786

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics