Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
TL2101
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/10

Loc: Concord, CA
Public Outreach
      #5465607 - 10/11/12 04:13 PM

Excited about doing my first public outreach event with the local astronomy club. My scope should be ideal for outreach having both goto and tracking. My plan is to stick to 5 or 6 bright objects and give the basics like distance and descriptions of each.

I am prepared for the how far can you see with that scope question. Any other common questions I should be prepared for when doing public outreach?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Public Outreach new [Re: TL2101]
      #5465646 - 10/11/12 04:38 PM

Truthfully, most public outreach is conducted in light polluted skies. I'd probably stick with the moon and planets, MAYBE the brightest DSOs (mostly because fuzzy blobs usually don't elicit a lot of "WOWs" like Saturn or Jupiter would. At a dark site, however, its a wide open game....

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5465647 - 10/11/12 04:38 PM

"Is that real?"
"How much does it cost?"
"what is the power/magnitication?"
"Have you ever seen a UFO?"

I have facts (distances, etc.) on a few dozen common outreach targets written on some index cards I keep in my miscellany box for use at outreach events. It seems to add a lot for visitors to know that that wow-inducing nebula in Orion is 1400 light years away.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Public Outreach new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5465663 - 10/11/12 04:48 PM

Why is that last question always asked?

Why is it I keep that Cylon Base Ship Sticker handy next to the Saturn Stickers?????

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Public Outreach new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5465808 - 10/11/12 06:49 PM

Ayup...stick with bright stuff. NGC457 is up now (ET/Owl/Jonnny 5 cluster) and is always a big hit. If someone asks to see a dim object, this time of year I slew to M31.

David

TL2101
professor emeritus

Re: Public Outreach new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5465816 - 10/11/12 06:54 PM

Quote:

"Is that real?"
"How much does it cost?"
"what is the power/magnitication?"
"Have you ever seen a UFO?"

No it's virtual
Less than the next size up
Power is set on stun
Yes, I arrived on one

OK now I am ready.

I am going to do the index cards, great idea.

NGC 457 is one of my favorites.

Edited by TL2101 (10/11/12 06:58 PM)

Mike4242
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/11

Loc: Memphis, TN
      #5465885 - 10/11/12 07:38 PM

One I've gotten a few times is "Can you see what the astronauts left behind on the moon?".

CrazyPanda

Reged: 09/30/12

Re: Public Outreach new [Re: Mike4242]
      #5466911 - 10/12/12 01:47 PM

You'll probably be asked how it's able to find objects. Might be worth developing a concise explanation of the RA/Dec coordinate system.

omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Re: Public Outreach new [Re: CrazyPanda]
      #5467446 - 10/12/12 09:45 PM

I find it's pretty easy to explain star hopping... the thrill of the celestial 'treasure hunt'.

tedbnh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/14/07

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Public Outreach new [Re: omahaastro]
      #5467568 - 10/12/12 11:55 PM

Will the moon phase be near first quarter? If so, you may be asked to point to the moon. Have a map and ask people to find certain craters in the eyepiece that you show them on the map. Giving them something to look for improves the experience.

TL2101
professor emeritus

Re: Public Outreach new [Re: tedbnh]
      #5467595 - 10/13/12 12:27 AM

It will be held on October 20th and the Moon will be up in the early evening so will show the Moon early on. In the past when I have attended public night but as a visitor not a docent physics students from the local high schools are there as part of their homework assignment. They are always a pleasure to talk to. This outreach is held on top of Mt. Diablo and there is a bit of a drive so the attendees tend to have a high degree of interest which makes it a lot fun.

In the past I was the one asking all the questions now I will be on the receiving end. As long as I don't run into someone like me I should be ok. And for what I lack in knowledge I make up for with enthusiasm.

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: Public Outreach new [Re: Mike4242]
      #5470205 - 10/14/12 05:23 PM

Quote:

One I've gotten a few times is "Can you see what the astronauts left behind on the moon?".

Along this line I have been asked many times "Can you see the flag the astronauts left on the Moon?" I start the response by saying "No, the flag is sticking vertical in the lunar soil so it is pointed directly at us and is too small to see." Then I explain that no telescope on Earth can see any pieces of human equipment left behind.

Matthew Ota
Hmmm

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Re: Public Outreach new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5470671 - 10/14/12 10:16 PM

After over fifteen years of public outreach, the most common question I get is "How much does that telescope cost?" The number two question is "How much does that telescope weigh?"
The number three question is "How far can you see". It takes careful explaining to educate them on not how far you can see, but what you can see with a given aperture.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5471359 - 10/15/12 11:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Along this line I have been asked many times "Can you see the flag the astronauts left on the Moon?" I start the response by saying "No, the flag is sticking vertical in the lunar soil so it is pointed directly at us and is too small to see." Then I explain that no telescope on Earth can see any pieces of human equipment left behind.

I disagree, the small camera/scopes on multiple satellites orbiting the third planet from it's sun, in an outer arm of the galaxy commonly referred to by it's inhabitants as "The Milky Way"; show a remarkable amount of human detrious over a large percentage of the habitable areas of the planet.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Public Outreach new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5473843 - 10/16/12 07:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I disagree, the small camera/scopes on multiple satellites orbiting the third planet from it's sun, in an outer arm of the galaxy commonly referred to by it's inhabitants as "The Milky Way"; show a remarkable amount of human detrious over a large percentage of the habitable areas of the planet.

er, I think he meant left behind on the moon.... In that case, the statement that no telescope on Earth can see the hardware we have left on the moon is pretty accurate. Clear skies to you.

tedbnh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/14/07

#5480240 - 10/20/12 11:51 AM

Quote:

"Can you see the flag the astronauts left behind on the moon?".

To this question, I always respond, deadpan, "No, its after 5pm. They take it down at night." Then I wait for them to get it. Always fun to have a good laugh, then I explain...

Lynnblac

Reged: 04/06/09

Loc: Arizona
      #5480318 - 10/20/12 12:30 PM

Your job is to interpret the sky for the neophyte. Which is much more than facts and figures. Example: Galileo discovered the moons of Jupiter 400 years ago. This observation lead to mankind's understanding the true nature of our solar system, or Jupiter is a failed star, it emits more energy than it receives from the Sun, had Jupiter been more massive we would live in a double star system. Which leads to the little know fact that the majority of stars are double, which leads to.......

Edited by Lynnblac (10/20/12 03:40 PM)

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Public Outreach new [Re: Lynnblac]
      #5480433 - 10/20/12 01:55 PM

It does impress the crowd when talking about Jupiter that the layer of the sun we see is about 10,000 degrees F, while the core of Jupiter, due to the gravitational pressure, is 35,000 degrees F. So it, and all the gas giants, are emitters due to the mass compression. But Jupiter is three and a half times as hot at its core as the surface of the sun we see.

Gardner
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/19/04

Re: Public Outreach new [Re: tedbnh]
      #5481959 - 10/21/12 01:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"Can you see the flag the astronauts left behind on the moon?".

To this question, I always respond, deadpan, "No, its after 5pm. They take it down at night." Then I wait for them to get it. Always fun to have a good laugh, then I explain...

I wish I had thought of that last night, I got that question many times. Along with the "how much does that cost?" very frequent question.

omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Re: Public Outreach new [Re: Gardner]
      #5482173 - 10/21/12 03:55 PM

On a more serious note (that is definitely the most asked question I get though)... I'm amazed how many folks are also perplexed to find us offering a view of the Moon in BROAD DAYLIGHT!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3758

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics