Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: 14 Delos vs. 14 XW--has anyone compared? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5469384 - 10/14/12 08:06 AM

Quote:

I think alot of people miss the point of XW eyepieces...

" The XW series lenses are 1.25-inch, telescope eyepieces designed for Pentax’s 65-, 80- and 100-mm ED spotting scopes. These versatile lenses are made with the same ED glass as the scopes themselves to provide high-resolution images."

It just so happens they are darn good in other astronomical scopes. The Delos had better beat them for the money they command IMHO!

And to get this thread back on track -- I am very happy with my current lineup of Pentax XW eyepieces and have no plans to buy the Delos eyepieces with the same focal length (10 or 14).

I am interested in the other Delos eyepieces and hope to try out the 8mm and 12mm when they finally start shipping.

If the Delos line proves to be as comfortable to use as the Pentax, they will be very successful, IMHO. There are many of us who like comfortable, easy to use eyepieces, with what I want to call "comfortable FOV".

Cheers,

Ron

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RolandHeadless

Reged: 11/16/11

Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: 14 Delos vs. 14 XW--has anyone compared? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5469388 - 10/14/12 08:13 AM

I don't know the source of that quote, but I've read Pentax spotting scope literature that suggest the opposite -- that Pentax XW "astronomical eyepieces" will also work in spotting scopes.

My impression is that the Pentax XWs were designed primarily for the astronomy market, and the zooms for the spotting scope market. The overlap in usage is a nice bonus.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: 14 Delos vs. 14 XW--has anyone compared? new [Re: Phillip Creed]
      #5469734 - 10/14/12 12:39 PM

Quote:

I know what I'm about to say this isn't going to please a lot of Pentax users, but here goes--I don't quite understand why the 14XW and the 20XW were released at all at full price given their field curvature. Yes, they've got great transmission and contrast, but field curvature to that magnitude is inexcusable for the price they command.

Ditto the 40XW. I had high hopes for it to supplant the 31 Nagler in my collection, but the field curvature was a killer. The outer 2/3 of the field was so bad I might as well have been using a $100 Erfle. At $500 I expected much better.

Oh well, the delivery truck travels in both directions.

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: 14 Delos vs. 14 XW--has anyone compared? new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5469859 - 10/14/12 01:59 PM

According to the Astronomics website the 14 Delos will be a bit heavier than the Pent. 14XW.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: 14 Delos vs. 14 XW--has anyone compared? new [Re: Deep13]
      #5469940 - 10/14/12 02:58 PM

Perhaps the XWs 14 and 20 were made for spotting scopes and the rest were added after people started using them in telescopes?

And this is interesting, I did not realize Hoya which had bought Pentax in 2007, sold the imaging division to Ricoh last year. So these eyepieces are apparently owned and distributed by Ricoh now.

drollere
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/02/10

Loc: sebastopol, california
Re: 14 Delos vs. 14 XW--has anyone compared? new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5470188 - 10/14/12 05:12 PM

it should be noted that a paracorr doesn't "clean up" the curvature in the eyepiece but the curvature in the *objective*. i use my XWs with focal ratios of ƒ/10 or longer and i never notice any curvature.

this topic has produced testimony to one of my favorite points: optical theory is a poor predictor of visual performance or visual satisfaction. whether theory describes performance depends on many factors theory does not consider; whether theory describes satisfaction depends on whether one is "susceptible" (as one poster put it) to whatever optical attribute is under consideration.

equipment preferences are personal preferences, or as abe lincoln said in a book review: "people who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like."

well said, mr. president.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: 14 Delos vs. 14 XW--has anyone compared? new [Re: drollere]
      #5470314 - 10/14/12 06:22 PM

I couldn't resist the urge to try a Delos anymore and jumped on a lightly used 10mm that was in CN Classifieds. I think a Delos 12 would be better suited in my 8" dob, giving me 100x and 150x/200x/250x with my combination of barlows, but I didn't have the patience to wait for it to be released, for someone to buy it and then sell it at a slight discount. I just like buying 'lightly used' too much.

I don't have the XW 10 to do my own A/B comparisons, but I will barlow the XW 20 though keeping in mind that is not a truly fair fight. That could only be a native XW 10 vs the Delos 10.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: 14 Delos vs. 14 XW--has anyone compared? new [Re: Starman81]
      #5470330 - 10/14/12 06:37 PM

I've tried both the 14mm and 20mm XW's in my short FL reflector. I really liked the 20mm XW and could barely see ANY field curvature in it at all. The 20mm XW also had the IMMERSION FACTOR full blown, which I really liked. The 14mm XW was a different story and I could see FC in a huge way which was extremely distracting. If the 14mm Delos is corrected for any FC or other aberrations, many people will be getting the 14mm Delos in favor of the 14mm XW.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5470450 - 10/14/12 08:11 PM

The 14 and 8 will be available soon, per a call to Astronomics.

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: 14 Delos vs. 14 XW--has anyone compared? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5473362 - 10/16/12 02:04 PM

Perhaps I should consider the 13 T6. It is a lot lighter than the XW (important for my collapsible 6" f/5 newt) and I have not heard any complaints of edge distortion. Eye relief is tighter, but still adequate.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5473376 - 10/16/12 02:17 PM

Quote:

Perhaps I should consider the 13 T6. It is a lot lighter than the XW (important for my collapsible 6" f/5 newt) and I have not heard any complaints of edge distortion. Eye relief is tighter, but still adequate.

I had a pair I used in an Oberwerk BT-100-45. No real complaints on them, although they did not have the same "wow" factor as the T4 Naglers. They were sharp and considering that the fast bino objectives were probably not as high a quality as most scope objectives that is saying something.

Oddly enough, I hardly ever used them in my scopes and never did a head-to-head with the 13 Ethos. A real missed opportunity.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: 14 Delos vs. 14 XW--has anyone compared? new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5473531 - 10/16/12 04:17 PM

I have 13T6 eyepieces I use in my binos. There is some minor pincushioning and lateral color in mine but nothing objectionable, they provide really sharp images.

george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/06

Re: 14 Delos vs. 14 XW--has anyone compared? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5473605 - 10/16/12 04:59 PM

Quote:

The 14 and 8 will be available soon, per a call to Astronomics.

Oh goody! I jumped on the 14 when the sale came.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5473803 - 10/16/12 06:45 PM

Quote:

This would be my recommendation. The T6's and small, fast reflectors (or large) are a perfect match. On the T'6's, roll down the heavy rubber eyecup and they will "seem" to have more eye relief. At 13mm, the T6 is what I use, and I have a case full of Brandons, Pentax XW's along with my Naglers.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2617

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics