Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
Re: Question on SCT storage new [Re: Super08]
      #5473228 - 10/16/12 12:25 PM

Quote:

The problem with grease most likely did not become a problem until production was moved overseas.

No. The problem was made in Torrance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Question on SCT storage new [Re: Alph]
      #5473249 - 10/16/12 12:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've been thinking of this too. If I could store my EdgeHD the other way around, that is standing on its visual back so to speak (with padding and proper support of course), do you think that would that work? Or would I just trade grease running onto the corrector for grease running onto the field flattening lenses?

There should not be any grease on the inside of the baffle tube to run down onto the optics.

Well, I found grease on the primary of my C14 just a few weeks after I received it back from Celestron.

That's not what he was talking about. He was talking about the HD optics inside the baffle tube. The primary is a different matter and could end up with grease on it from the outside of the baffle tube.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: Question on SCT storage new [Re: EFT]
      #5473283 - 10/16/12 12:59 PM

Why should there even be any discussion about grease, or any other contaminants, inside of a brand new, high-priced telescope OTA? In my opinion, that's just inexcusable!

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Question on SCT storage new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5474056 - 10/16/12 09:16 PM

Quote:

Why should there even be any discussion about grease, or any other contaminants, inside of a brand new, high-priced telescope OTA? In my opinion, that's just inexcusable!

Absolutely... I've never seen grease drip off the baffle on any older SCT when stored vertically.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Question on SCT storage new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5474196 - 10/16/12 11:20 PM

I have a C11 which has been stored nose-down for the bulk of its 6 year life. The dreaded grease creep hasn't happened. However, I would say the ideal is on the OTA's side so dust can't land on an optical surface if it gets inside.

-Rich

Ava
sage

Reged: 11/30/11

Loc: Sweden
Re: Question on SCT storage new [Re: EFT]
      #5474388 - 10/17/12 02:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've been thinking of this too. If I could store my EdgeHD the other way around, that is standing on its visual back so to speak (with padding and proper support of course), do you think that would that work? Or would I just trade grease running onto the corrector for grease running onto the field flattening lenses?

There should not be any grease on the inside of the baffle tube to run down onto the optics.

Well, I found grease on the primary of my C14 just a few weeks after I received it back from Celestron.

That's not what he was talking about. He was talking about the HD optics inside the baffle tube. The primary is a different matter and could end up with grease on it from the outside of the baffle tube.

Hmm, so, would you say the risk of grease dropping onto the primary is smaller (if storing it standing on the visual back), than the risk of grease dropping onto the corrector plate if storing it standing with corrector plate down? Or are both options equally bad in comparison to storing it on the side?

I'm asking because I may be able to upgrade rather cheaply to a 9.25" EdgeHD from my 8", but that would require me to store the 9.25" standing up so I'm not sure if its worth the risk...

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Question on SCT storage new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5474426 - 10/17/12 02:37 AM

Quote:

I have a C11 which has been stored nose-down for the bulk of its 6 year life. The dreaded grease creep hasn't happened. However, I would say the ideal is on the OTA's side so dust can't land on an optical surface if it gets inside.

I bet the chances of grease creep would be a lot higher if you stored your scope in a 115 degree garage or something. I suspect under normal conditions, it rarely happens.

aamilo

Reged: 02/28/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Re: Question on SCT storage new [Re: Ava]
      #5474429 - 10/17/12 02:44 AM

Total newbie here who heard about the grease on corrector issue so I have since always stored it corrector up. I guess grease might fall on the primary but I think it's highly unlikely to do so. I figure if anything it would run down the outside of the baffle tube and collect behind the primary. This is my second SCT and I've only own one for a few months so I really can't say.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Question on SCT storage new [Re: Rick Huber]
      #5474652 - 10/17/12 08:47 AM

Quote:

Found this - Looks like Celestron in the early days did not concern themselves with grease dripping on the corrector

I'd sure love to have own one of those old C14's

Brent Campbell
sage

Reged: 02/09/10

Loc: Olympia, WA
Re: Question on SCT storage new [Re: orion61]
      #5474663 - 10/17/12 08:57 AM

The proper way to store an SCT is on its mount in the middle of the den, the scope pointing upwards in a realistic angle like its going to catch the next supernova! Your wife despite the constant complaints of vacuuming around the thing will secretly marvel at the piece of tech-sculpture that you brought into the home.

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
Re: Question on SCT storage new [Re: Brent Campbell]
      #5475002 - 10/17/12 12:32 PM

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2160

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics