Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
chemist

Reged: 10/09/10

Loc: Central Texas
Re: What extra eyepieces would a beginner need for 6SE new [Re: Skip]
      #5471586 - 10/15/12 01:30 PM

Just thought I should mention that eye relief and exit pupil are just as important as magnification and field of view. I don't like EP's with less than 10-12mm of eye relief, and 15mm or more is needed if you wear glasses while viewing. For an f/10 scope like the 6SE, EP's in the range of 15-25mm will give better apparent brightness and contrast than those below 10mm.

I agree that a 2X Barlow is a must since it effectively gives you two magnification options for each EP. I also suggest a 32mm (or 40mm) EP for wider angle views of star clusters and asterisms. And for just "huntin' around for stuff", the 24-8mm zoom can't be beat.

Chemist

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AlexDJ30
sage

Reged: 09/02/08

Loc: Monterrey, Mexico
Re: What extra eyepieces would a beginner need for 6SE new [Re: Skip]
      #5477046 - 10/18/12 02:03 PM

Silent I think that the good suggestion is starting with a Zoom eyepice, I think thats the best start if you dont want to spend lots of money and give a wide range of magnifications plus its just one eyepice to carry to use it fast and the SCT scopes are a bite forgiving on the quality of the eyepices (not like fast refractors thats needs good quality eyepices), later on you can buy specialize eyepices, and about a 2X barlow most of my viewing time i dont use it , I have a celestron Zoom eyepice (its OK zoom the only problems at least with mine is some black outs if i move my eyes) and almost all the times i never use the 2X barlow (I have one). I would recomend you that you try to buy a zoom for the easy use and fast (if you can buy a better quality zoom like Baader its better!) and then if you want eyepices then go for them but at least the zoom will perform good on the 6SE.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1404

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics