Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
JohnMurphyRN
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Loc: Near St Louis
What is the BV of choice? new
      #5466926 - 10/12/12 02:36 PM

12.5" F5 dob. The Denk II package looks good. So does the TV Binovue. Of these, which is the better choice? Is there another choice better than either?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: What is the BV of choice? new [Re: JohnMurphyRN]
      #5466995 - 10/12/12 04:07 PM

The Baader Mark V is the "binoviewer of choice", they sell it at Astro-Physics. I'd rate the Denk II just slightly behind. The Binovue from Televue is also a great binoviewer but does not have individual diopter adjustment.

slack
sage

Reged: 05/02/12

Re: What is the BV of choice? new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5467111 - 10/12/12 05:12 PM

Quote:

The Binovue from Televue is also a great binoviewer but does not have individual diopter adjustment.

That is true, but it should also be mentioned that Tele Vue binoviewers do not have diopter adjustments because they believe that mechanical feature is potentially detrimental to ultimate performance (specifically collimation).

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Reged: 02/15/02

Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W
Re: What is the BV of choice? new [Re: slack]
      #5467120 - 10/12/12 05:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The Binovue from Televue is also a great binoviewer but does not have individual diopter adjustment.

That is true, but it should also be mentioned that Tele Vue binoviewers do not have diopter adjustments because they believe that mechanical feature is potentially detrimental to ultimate performance (specifically collimation).

Hmmm. I'm hard pressed to understand why they think that?

edz

slack
sage

Reged: 05/02/12

Re: What is the BV of choice? [Re: EdZ]
      #5467127 - 10/12/12 05:22 PM

Quote:

edz

In Tele Vue's own words:

Collet-type adjustable eyepiece clamping for non-marring, rock solid security with no chance of high powered collimation loss from screw-type diopter adjustment systems.

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5467151 - 10/12/12 05:39 PM

The fact remains that if one of your eyes is slightly off from the other, you have to pull one of the eyepieces out to get both sides in focus. This is not so easy and a true pain if you are switching out eyepieces. I think you need fine focus diopters or at least on one side. The Denks particularly have fantastic diopter adjustments, they are built like a tank and you will not have collimation issues using them. I have never heard any complaints with collimation of the Mark Vs due to the diopters either. Maybe the lower end binos might have collimation problems, but that's a given anyway.

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Reged: 02/15/02

Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W
      #5467157 - 10/12/12 05:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

edz

In Tele Vue's own words:

Collet-type adjustable eyepiece clamping for non-marring, rock solid security with no chance of high powered collimation loss from screw-type diopter adjustment systems.

All the same, I've owned a binoviewer without diopter adjustment. Sold it. Would never buy another. Royal pain in the aaa

edz

MrGrytt
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/28/05

Loc: Upstate Cuomostan
      #5467250 - 10/12/12 06:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

edz

In Tele Vue's own words:

I believe what they're actually doing is praising the collet type system over eyepiece locking screws.

Harvey

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5467433 - 10/12/12 09:37 PM

Denkmeier has announced a new, larger OCS specifically for fast dobs.

Some may have doubts as to how the Denk II will compare to the Mark V, but my bet is that it would be very hard to see the difference optically. My personal opinion is that these forums tend to overstate many of these almost impossible to see differences.

But for a fast Newt, I know that the light cone will cause problems for the OCS that comes with many other binoviewers and the new Denk OCS addresses this issue.

And while the Denk PowerSwitch did not work for me in my SCTs, I remember thinking that it would be far more useful in a fast dob. Just not a good match to and SCT because of the back focus required.

Denk's new OCS for fast dobs...

Are the Mark Vs better? Maybe. Enough to see? Maybe not. And the Denk II Supersystem seem tailor made for a big dob, especially with the new OCS.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: What is the BV of choice? new [Re: MrGrytt]
      #5467447 - 10/12/12 09:46 PM

Quote:

I believe what they're actually doing is praising the collet type system over eyepiece locking screws.

Harvey

Yes absolutely that's clear to me too.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: What is the BV of choice? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5467456 - 10/12/12 09:56 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

I had a Denk II that was superb in my 15" dob with the powerswitch, I think I was getting around 1.4X or so at the low end.

For comparisons sake, here is Baader's elegant solution for dobs, the "1.7X Glasspath Compensator & Coma Corrector for Newtonians" which is probably just a little less wide than the new 45mm Denk OCS. This attaches directly to the MkV body and gives excellent results - corrects for coma! - and note how well baffled it is. This glasspath unlike the others was not designed by Roland Christen, this was designed by Dr. Pudenz - the guy who designed the Zeiss APQ. Note:

Quote:

The Baader Maxbright-Binocular Viewer requires approximately 30-36mm of back-focus. This value is approximate, and depends on the specific eyepiece used and any focus correction that is required by the observer's eyesight. This distance is not adjustable (unlike some bino multiplier/extenders). Changing the optical spacing (and amplification factor) in order to vary back-focus compromises the optical performance and results in a reduction of image quality.

I think that last part is debatable - great marketing - I also had excellent results with the Denk IIs and a slightly wider view at 1.4X.

gcfboulder

Reged: 09/27/07

Loc: CO
Re: What is the BV of choice? new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5480395 - 10/20/12 01:20 PM

No mention of Siebert Optics Blacknight binoviewer? Mine works great with my 12.5" F6 DOB (and with my C8). I needed to purchase a Siebert Optics "Multi Mag OCA" for that to be true of the DOB, but it allows me to view at 1x, 1.5x and 2x. Merging of images is no problem, but was a pain in the arse when I had a Williams Optics unit. I ended up buying the "Galaxy Viewer" adapter as well, which gives very nice low-power views in my C8.

Of course, by the time I bought all the adapters needed to make it a versatile binoviewer for both my scopes, along with 2 of Sieberts 24 mm eyepieces (which work very well with this binoviewer) I spent over$1,000, so I'm not saying this is a cheap solution. But I'm very happy with the results. Binoviewing is a now a very rewarding experience for me, whereas, it was kind of a love-hate relationship with my Williams Optics unit.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
      #5486987 - 10/24/12 01:07 PM

Quote:

12.5" F5 dob. The Denk II package looks good. So does the TV Binovue. Of these, which is the better choice? Is there another choice better than either?

Thanks

www.vernonscope.com

Phone Don Yeier and have a chat.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5487236 - 10/24/12 04:03 PM

Quote:

I have the Siebert Black Nights, the Denkmeier Denk II system and the Baader Mark V system. The Mark V is what I use now for everything. It's that flexible and the quality is superb. Visually they're the best, as well. All my personal opinion, of course, but having three completely different systems has allowed me to mix, match and compare. You really can't go wrong with any of these, but the Baader Mark V gets my vote.

Kutno
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/17/09

#5487278 - 10/24/12 04:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks

John,

I do not know about the Denk II; but the Tele Vue Bino Vue is excellent.

JohnMurphyRN
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Loc: Near St Louis
Re: What is the BV of choice? new [Re: Kutno]
      #5487637 - 10/24/12 08:58 PM

Thanks! TV Bini Vue came up used and priced right so that was the answer - at least to start.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1416

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics