Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Precise GOTO - Key feature -> how to get it remote
      #5467957 - 10/13/12 10:00 AM

For the winter I am working on leaving the C8 outside on the CG5-AGST and one of the biggest headaches I encountered this past Thursday night was having to run outside each time to perform a Precise GOTO. I have a SkyFI unit and while I find it works great for nearby scope movement - like from M57 to M27 for instance, when I slew across the sky, invariably the target object will not be in the FOV and I have to run outside and perform the PRECISE GOTO.

I have a NEXREMOTE software for my CPC1100 but I am not sure if I can control the CG-5 with that software package. Does anyone know, if I can change the firmware in the software to the new NextStar+ hand control? I think the current software is 4.18 while my NexStar+ handset is 5.21

Ok, if that does not work, I was thinking of buying a more sophisticated all-around observation computer control system like SkyTools for instance. Does anyone know if that program features the equivalent of PRECISE GOTO? Is there any other software that performs this function?

Thanks

Al

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Precise GOTO - Key feature -> how to get it remote new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5467959 - 10/13/12 10:01 AM

well.... you could buy MaximDL.

it has this plate-solving mechanism so after the slew it takes a short exposure, plate-solves the image to determine where the telescope is actually pointing, then corrects.

michael hester
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/28/08

Re: Precise GOTO - Key feature -> how to get it remote new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5467971 - 10/13/12 10:08 AM

How far away to outside is your scope? If its shorter than 100 ft you can make an extension cable with 6 conductor RJ-11 cable and an inline coupler. If you can't find a 6 conductor cable you can make it with RJ11 heads and a cat 5 cable. Just wire the conductors in the same color order on both ends.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Precise GOTO - Key feature -> how to get it remote new [Re: michael hester]
      #5467976 - 10/13/12 10:14 AM

The CG5 can most assuredly be controlled with NexRemote. Not sure what the new controller will do for you in this situation. At any rate, if you do a proper go-to alignment with the CG5 you should NOT have to use the precise go-to function. Oh, I used to use it, but only with the old, original CG5 HC and firmware. The current upgradeable HC or NexRemote? Nope. Two alignment stars and four calibration stars will make my targets land on the (small) chip of the Mallincam Xtreme at any useable focal length.

I would think twice about leaving the CG5 outside in winter without protection, that's for dadgum sure.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Precise GOTO - Key feature -> how to get it remote new [Re: rmollise]
      #5467999 - 10/13/12 10:25 AM

same hre as Rod on the CGEM with oe caveat, I did have a defective unit that couldn't point. the defective usit was replace by celestron. The software for the cgem and CGE5 are the same so pointing should be the same except for mechanical problems. Mirror flop, mount shifts, loose dovetail, and other variables can affect your pointing. I find targets land in the fov of my small mallincam chip with my C11 at F10. Not always dead center but on the chip.

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Re: Precise GOTO - Key feature -> how to get it remote new [Re: rmollise]
      #5468077 - 10/13/12 11:08 AM

Uncle R-

Why do you say you'd worry about leaving it outside? I have it covered with a Telegizmo 365. Only the mount+tripod. OTA stays indoors....

---
I have the polar alignment now reasonably good. I find that when I use the HC remote I usually get the target in the FOV. My problem is really more with the SkyFI which normally misses the new target especially in a long skew. I can 'hop' using SkyFi, performing local syncs every 10 degrees or so from lets say M57 to the Helix Nebula, but its sort of a pain. When I use the HC Nexremote I agree that usually i capture the target in my FOV. According to Tim and Bill on the SOuthern Stars yahoo group they are working on coding the SkyFi to directly communicate with the mount and bypass the HC... so maybe this whole issue will go away in a few more weeks/months...
----

Yes, I am thinking about MaximDL. I think if it had a plugin for the MallinCam Extreme that I would buy it... until then maybe the idea of an extra long cable for the HandControl is not a bad idea...

I am running the wires into my home office from about 70 feet away. So an interim solution could be to just buy 100ft of straight-through 6-pin telephone cable with an inline connector and keep the HC inside the house with me... BUT... this probably is not an ideal solution as what happens when I need to go outside to the mount, if I unplug and replug the HC won't it lose its bearings?

Ugh... oh well, seems like the easiest solution is to just wait for the Southern Stars folks to upgrade their software to talk directly to the mount...

Al

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
Re: Precise GOTO - Key feature -> how to get it remote new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5468245 - 10/13/12 12:29 PM

Quote:

Why do you say you'd worry about leaving it outside? I have it covered with a Telegizmo 365.

No matter how well you secure a cover over your equipment outdoors for long term protection... moisture evaporating from the ground will condense inside the cover and all over the equipment ... been there, done that, to my regret! I can't think of a better way to turn nice equipment into a pile of junk.

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: Precise GOTO - Key feature -> how to get it remote new [Re: *skyguy*]
      #5468774 - 10/13/12 07:13 PM

I thought it was just me with the Telegizmo not being much help. My mount stands on grass and heavy dewing invariably gets trapped under the Telegizmo. The result is gear that looks like it was left out in the rain.
And what follows after a dew-laden night? That's correct. Often sunshine! Then it's a sauna under that cover with no where for the moisture to go.

It's fine for actual precipitation though and I assumed, as this product is raved about by so many, that I was odd man out and folks storing their gear on concrete or gravel might not experience the issue to nearly the same degree.

I don't use the TG routinely anymore. Only when actual precipitation is going to be a factor. On dewy nights a green plastic trash bag is better for a mount on grass, as inelegant as that sounds . . . and looks.

Again, on cement or gravel, things may be very different.

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Re: Precise GOTO - Key feature -> how to get it remote new [Re: dawziecat]
      #5468884 - 10/13/12 08:32 PM

Thanks Terry for your thoughts... I have it on concrete patio... I have very limited opportunities for using my equipment, basically only 1 day or so a month as we go into the winter/spring so the last thing I want to do is lose an hour in perfecting alignment...

Al

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 571

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics