Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Turning Drive Off Briefly - Mach1GTO new
      #5466580 - 10/12/12 09:53 AM

Is there a way to temporarily stop the drive of my GTO without losing my alignment and/or turning the whole thing off? I'm beginning a program of Double Star measurement and the REDUC software needs an E-W star trail in the image in order to set a baseline for PA measurements.

Thanks

Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/29/11

Loc: Arizona
Re: Turning Drive Off Briefly - Mach1GTO new [Re: Cotts]
      #5466617 - 10/12/12 10:21 AM

Just turn the Sidereal tracking off using button 8 on the keypad. You will not lose alignment

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: Turning Drive Off Briefly - Mach1GTO new [Re: korborh]
      #5467399 - 10/12/12 09:02 PM

Thanks, 'k'. I suppose the 8 button toglles the drive off and on.....

Dave

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

Re: Turning Drive Off Briefly - Mach1GTO new [Re: Cotts]
      #5467470 - 10/12/12 10:06 PM

Quote:

Dave

Not quite. From the Main (top) menu, the 8 button toggles through sidereal, solar, lunar tracking rates and stop. Grab up a copy of the v4.12 keypad manual, sit down, and have a read. There is also a serial based command to get to this item directly. Yes the keypad is up to v4.17 but it is just a few bug fixes which are noted in the 4.17 addendum but the base 4.12 manual has not changed. As is normally the case, a bit of poking around on the extraordinarily well laid out Astro-Physics website will lead you to these items.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: Turning Drive Off Briefly - Mach1GTO new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #5468016 - 10/13/12 10:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Not quite. From the Main (top) menu, the 8 button toggles through sidereal, solar, lunar tracking rates and stop. Grab up a copy of the v4.12 keypad manual, sit down, and have a read. There is also a serial based command to get to this item directly. Yes the keypad is up to v4.17 but it is just a few bug fixes which are noted in the 4.17 addendum but the base 4.12 manual has not changed. As is normally the case, a bit of poking around on the extraordinarily well laid out Astro-Physics website will lead you to these items.

Thanks for the clarification. A bit of poking around here onCN leads me to these items with excellent efficiency....

Dave

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

Re: Turning Drive Off Briefly - Mach1GTO [Re: Cotts]
      #5468333 - 10/13/12 01:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Thanks for the clarification. A bit of poking around here onCN leads me to these items with excellent efficiency....

Dave

Not me. In general, I find the signal to noise ratio on this site to be p poor, the quality of even the decent responses to be mediocre (even mine as I don't recall the actual sequence of the button presses nor do I recall the serial command), and the length of time required to get such info to be incredibly slow. In comparison, by going to the AP website, getting the on-line pdf of the manual and by searching it for "stop" I would have the exact info directly from the source and I would likely have learned several other interesting tidbits in the process. I would also have a pdf copy of the manual on my computer, iPad, and iPhone as well. The total elapsed time would have been comparable to what it took you to type your original question here.

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 667

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics