Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
chrisrnuttall
Professor Emeritus

Reged: 12/29/10

Loc: York, England
Jupiter 13th October 2012, GRS & Oval BA
      #5468397 - 10/13/12 02:15 PM Attachment (81 downloads)

Hello
Here is a drawing of Jupiter made this morning.
I got up at 4:30 and was treated to an unusually dark and transparent sky, I was almost tempted to have a look at a nebula or two, but my intended target won me over.
Good thing too because not long after starting to observe, thin cloud began to build in the south, by the end of my session it had thickened and was covering 80% of the sky.
The seeing started at Ant III and, whilst varying with the cloud activity, it never really improved.

I got my timings wrong last weekend, struggled out of bed in the small hours and turned my scope to Jupiter just in time to see the GRS sailing over the afternoon limb of the planet, again. (insert profanity of your choice).
This time I finally got a half decent view of the Great Read spot and its smaller counterpart, Oval BA. Even so they both appeared pale orange against the creamy hue of the south tropical area and were hard to see much detail in, their edges appearing soft and overall contrast low.

The South Equatorial Belt has been churned up by the GRS to a great extent and there is a complex wake following the storm, with a large white rift running chaotically through it.

There was a smaller white rift in the North Equatorial Belt just approaching the Central Meridian, and several dark barges swirling into the Equatorial Zone.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikesemmler
sage

Reged: 06/01/09

Re: Jupiter 13th October 2012, GRS & Oval BA new [Re: chrisrnuttall]
      #5468431 - 10/13/12 02:36 PM

Chris - great scetch of Jupiter. the structures and clouds are sensational - congratulations to you and your fine telescope

Michael

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Jupiter 13th October 2012, GRS & Oval BA new [Re: mikesemmler]
      #5468693 - 10/13/12 05:48 PM

Congratulation for you wonderful and detailed sketch. So nice.

Andre.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Jupiter 13th October 2012, GRS & Oval BA new [Re: Andrev]
      #5469142 - 10/14/12 12:04 AM

Now thats striking. The rift in the SEB in the wake of the GRS [duo] is fanatstically executed. This is a riveting sketch - the sight had to be captivating. The festoon stumps along the SEB are interesting, do you see any classic sweeping extensions to these or are they truncated festoon bases as drawn? I see a small spot between the red spot duo culd you elaborate on this?

Striking sketch Chris.

Pete

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Jupiter 13th October 2012, GRS & Oval BA new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5469299 - 10/14/12 04:33 AM

chrisrnuttall
Professor Emeritus

#5469302 - 10/14/12 04:44 AM

Pete

the dark markings along the EZ NEB boundary looked mostly like I drew them, the seeing was not all that good and I imagine they are less regular than this really, but I find that markings tend to look more simple, regular and geometric when the seeing removes the detail.

The small dark spot between the GRS and oval BA is real, and it makes resolving the two storms as individuals even more tricky in poor conditions since its contrast is higher than either of the larger (rather pale) storms.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5469847 - 10/14/12 01:50 PM

Thanks Chris. I bought a spectrum of earthy toned pastel pencils and some paper Ill try out. Its not veloure but Ill see how it does. The tones range from browns, red brlowns, orange browns, tans, beige, white, off white, cream, yellow, salmon pink, etc etc - all pigments the King of planets would aprove of.

Im particularly taken with the compelxity of rifts and streaks in the SEB you rendered so well. Its interesting - a huge reflector or SCt will show more with a good imager and cam but YOUR work is far more interesting to me. Observer/Artists inevitably convey the visual experience while imagers record data - and thats good but it lacks the human element that makes good observational sketches so engaging.

Pete

chrisrnuttall
Professor Emeritus

#5469929 - 10/14/12 02:54 PM

I agree, it's nice to see what someone else actually saw, not photographed.

you could try making up a few jupiters with your new materials, just to see what works.

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5471738 - 10/15/12 02:59 PM

Chris,

Very good sketch of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

phily
sage

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: Kent, UK
Re: Jupiter 13th October 2012, GRS & Oval BA new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5474482 - 10/17/12 04:26 AM

Wonderful detail, Chris. Excellent sketch.
Phil

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Jupiter 13th October 2012, GRS & Oval BA new [Re: phily]
      #5475649 - 10/17/12 06:26 PM

Chris,

Wow, I like this sketch.

Frank

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Jupiter 13th October 2012, GRS & Oval BA new [Re: frank5817]
      #5480430 - 10/20/12 01:54 PM

Chris,

Great observation and beautifully done.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter 13th October 2012, GRS & Oval BA new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5481246 - 10/21/12 12:29 AM

Chris, caught my first Jupiter observation last night, your sketch is pretty much what I saw.

The GRS was just on the limb and rotating out of view. Yes, it was difficult to really discern, but there was a 'bunch' of something over there. Is oval BA preceding or following the GRS?

In fact, I am not even sure I saw the GRS. The wake was quite prominent and had some large, bright lumps near the limb where the GRS might have been. Being on the limb, that clumpy 'mess' was difficult to really see well.

The Festooning is more prominent that last year. Not sure if festoons actually make loops, but one prominent one trailing the GRS certainly seemed to. And there was a very prominent festoon just north of the GRS on the limb.

The NEB is just as you show it, heavy and dark with a distinct uneven southern border. It did seem to have some darker "tips" protruding into the equatorial zone. And the NTB (just north of the NEB) was very distinct, just as you show. Also, the STB(?) just south of the SEB was very distinct, more so that I remember from last year.

All in all, gonna be another interesting year for Jupiter.

chrisrnuttall
Professor Emeritus

Re: Jupiter 13th October 2012, GRS & Oval BA new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5481481 - 10/21/12 06:29 AM

Hi Norme.

Oval BA is preceding the GRS, and there is a small brown oval between the pair of them, which makes quite a sight. The thing that makes it all quite tricky is that the GRS and BA are so pale at the moment, I find it hard to actually see BA as a separate entity unless the seeing is better than average and they are on the central meridian of the Jovian disc.

The GRS wake seems different every time I observe it, even one day to the next, so it is quite possible that a big old lump got churned up just for you

I'm glad you like my drawing, I think I am having trouble getting the colours right on Jupiter this year, but it all adds to the fun!

Erik Bakker
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
      #5481498 - 10/21/12 07:12 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Nice report and sketch Chris! I too am fascinated by the detail around the GRS area and how fast things change there. Seeing was very variable the last weeks here. At moments of good seeing I was able to see a phenomenal amount of detail in the GRS area with mags as low as 214x. Clouds rolling in and seeing varying a lot made detailed sketching very difficult. Included is a very rough sketch of what I saw a day earlier, oct 12th from 1-1.45 MEZT, 16" f/5 with bino at 214x. Note, the edge around the GRS is a sketching artifact

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter 13th October 2012, GRS & Oval BA new [Re: Erik Bakker]
      #5481744 - 10/21/12 11:11 AM

Chris, try using a 100 billion color pallet on a PC paint program. Makes it SOOO much more difficult to get the right color. With 14,000 hues of reddish brown, yike...

Thanks, thought it was proceeding the GRS, so I missed it. And yes, the wake is something else.

Erik, a 16" with bino is to die for...I can only imagine the beauty you saw. Yea...wow.

Edit: Chris, Jupiter's meridian 21 Oct 1700UT (1AM Local in the far east), I finally saw those brighter rifts you drew in the NEB. In fact, there were several almost cividing the NEB. Even saw one white spot near the NEB's trailing southern edge. No barges, like last year, but did notice one darkening along the norther edge near the meridian.

Seeing was not great, about Ant II or 7 to 8/10...not the usual Ant-I we get later in the year.

Edited by Asbytec (10/21/12 01:07 PM)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5483678 - 10/22/12 01:31 PM

Chris, had to come back to your sketch because your representation of the oval BA vicinity is pretty much what I saw tonight 22 Oct 1700UT. Seeing about 7 to 8.

I failed to spot BA directly, but I thought I saw it. Turns out I was glimpsing that darker oval preceding the GRS. Normally it was pretty much an indistinct darker patch. A few times during the hour prior to GRS transit, that patch was much more distinct tiny spot...which is when I though BA was seen.

Turns out, BA is one tough cookie. There was a fainter patch in that vicinity as you show. At 200x, when it occasionally showed itself, it appeared to extend north from the end of the prominent STB. So, as there was no real oval seen, maybe that faint, fleeting patch was it.

Yea, the GRS was a bit confusing at first. It was pretty pale, but easy to see where it is, at least. The SEB ends abruptly. The GRS almost looked two toned with a darker bottom half. Turns out, that bottom half is the GRS and there is a brighter rift crossing over the northern boundary. I sketched it and had to refer to an image to sort out what I was seeing.

Anyway, I might have had my first glimpse of oval BA, but want to repeat the observation.

chrisrnuttall
Professor Emeritus

#5483889 - 10/22/12 03:52 PM

I know exactly what you mean Norme. You get so used to seeing the GRS as a big old orange oval, that when confronted with a pale collection of fuzzy patches on a pale background it can be a struggle to work out exactly what you are seeing. The first couple of times I looked this year I thought the GRS was big and irregular, then later I realised that it is a collection of spots.

It's forecast cloudy and foggy here til thursday now

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
Re: Jupiter 13th October 2012, GRS & Oval BA new [Re: Erik Bakker]
      #5483916 - 10/22/12 04:05 PM

Erik,

Nice sketch of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1388

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics