Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Mount Control Software?
      #5469375 - 10/14/12 07:38 AM

I am in the planning stage of our backyard observatory. I know a little about Skyx; however, is there any other mount control software? I would appreciate opinions about Skyx as well as any competitors. (I hope this is the right forum for this question and subsequent discussion). I am very mildly (!) computer literate so be gentle. Plan for Software Bisque Paramount ME2 or Astro-Physics Goto1600. Thanks for any help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mr_T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/06/08

Loc: NJ
Re: Mount Control Software? new [Re: Aquarist]
      #5469381 - 10/14/12 08:05 AM

Well if you buy the Paramount you will receive the SkyX with the mount

Les

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Re: Mount Control Software? new [Re: Mr_T]
      #5469456 - 10/14/12 09:29 AM

Quote:

Well if you buy the Paramount you will receive the SkyX with the mount

Les

Yes, I know. Actually the entire SB software suite for a one year unlimited update license. After that, a yearly fee applies if you wish to have updates.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Mount Control Software? new [Re: Aquarist]
      #5469504 - 10/14/12 10:05 AM

I'm planning to get SkyX to use with my AP1200 mount primarily to gain the benefit of the T-point software for improved pointing accuracy. Although the AP mount tracks beautifully, and is well aligned, flexure in the telescope structure and non-orthogonality degrade pointing accuracy, especially when changing sides of the meridian. I build my own scopes, which no doubt contributes to the problem.

JimC

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Re: Mount Control Software? new [Re: Mirzam]
      #5469591 - 10/14/12 11:04 AM

Quote:

I'm planning to get SkyX to use with my AP1200 mount primarily to gain the benefit of the T-point software for improved pointing accuracy. Although the AP mount tracks beautifully, and is well aligned, flexure in the telescope structure and non-orthogonality degrade pointing accuracy, especially when changing sides of the meridian. I build my own scopes, which no doubt contributes to the problem.

JimC

As I may go with AP, how difficult is it to add SkyX and Tpoint control?

Ray Gralak
Vendor (PEMPro)

Reged: 04/19/08

#5469592 - 10/14/12 11:04 AM

Quote:

JimC

Consider also that Astro-Physics will soon be launching their APCC software that will not only provide pointing correction but will also provide tracking rate correction (to remove drift from flexure, inaccurate polar alignment, refraction, etc.) The software was specifically designed for Astro-Physics mounts and has some features/capabilities not found in any other software package. This software will work with any Astro-Physics mount with a GTOCP3 controller, which has shipped with AP mounts for at least the last 5 years. Mounts that still only have the GTOCP2 controller can be upgraded to the GTOCP3.

-Ray

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Mount Control Software? new [Re: Ray Gralak]
      #5469618 - 10/14/12 11:22 AM

How soon is "soon"?

JimC

Ray Gralak
Vendor (PEMPro)

Reged: 04/19/08

#5469666 - 10/14/12 11:50 AM

Quote:

How soon is "soon"?

JimC

Marj at AP has the final say when the launch will occur. Keep watch on the AP-UG and AP-GTO Yahoogroups lists for an announcement very soon.

-Ray

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Re: Mount Control Software? new [Re: Ray Gralak]
      #5469799 - 10/14/12 01:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How soon is "soon"?

JimC

Marj at AP has the final say when the launch will occur. Keep watch on the AP-UG and AP-GTO Yahoogroups lists for an announcement very soon.

-Ray

That is interesting news. I will subscribe and check it out.

Pages: 1

Extra information
30 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 731

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics