Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
garibaldi

Reged: 12/19/07

Loc: fla
CGEM loose when locked
      #5470119 - 10/14/12 04:31 PM

Had my orion 102 ed out last night on it's new CGEM mount which is brand new. I noticed when I when to focus the scope would shift a little from side to side. I think there is laxity in the declination gears or something. The clutches were locked tight and the scope could be shifted slightly, the image would go from side to side. When it was slewing and tracking I don't think anything moved though. Has anyone had this problem?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dlpville

Reged: 07/09/07

Re: CGEM loose when locked new [Re: garibaldi]
      #5470282 - 10/14/12 06:02 PM

There are a few threads on this forum for adjusting the DEC and RA worm backlash. It's an easy adjustment, and many of the Atlas/CGEM/EQ6 mounts need it, especially after a period of use.

Search for "CGEM DEC adjustment" on the "mounts" forum; you'll find it.
davel

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: CGEM loose when locked new [Re: garibaldi]
      #5471318 - 10/15/12 11:16 AM

I wouldn't call this a problem so much as a fact of life. What you are seeing is backlash between the worm and ring gear. You may be able to decrease it, but you generally cannot eliminate it without binding the gears. Here are some instructions for making the adjustment: Atlas-EQ6-CGEM Worm Spacing Adjustment. In general, shipping these mounts from one environment to another will result in the gears either tightening or loosening, so it is not uncommon that a little adjustment can be helpful. The key is to make very small adjustments and do it with the axis slewing so that you can hear when the gears start to bind.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: CGEM loose when locked new [Re: EFT]
      #5471336 - 10/15/12 11:23 AM

Ed, is it possible to fit the gears tighter by lapping?

I tried lapping my Aeroquest worm with.. toothpaste and a drill. Had absolutely no effect.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: CGEM loose when locked new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5471412 - 10/15/12 12:08 PM

Quote:

Ed, is it possible to fit the gears tighter by lapping?

I tried lapping my Aeroquest worm with.. toothpaste and a drill. Had absolutely no effect.

It's possible, but not something I would recommend for most people to try because you can ruin the gears as well. Toothpaste is nowhere near agressive enough to do the job in any reasonable amount of time. I use a fine valve lapping compound and even that can sometimes take hours, not to mention having to take apart, clean, and put together the mount numerous times. After the lapping compound, then you can move to something like a polishing compound.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: CGEM loose when locked new [Re: EFT]
      #5471449 - 10/15/12 12:25 PM

Is the focuser smooth with no play? Sometimes there can be focus shift in the focuser.

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 543

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics