Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Film Astrophotography

Pages: 1
manolo78

Reged: 10/15/12

HELP
      #5472036 - 10/15/12 06:16 PM

Hi I am going to be in Australia in time for the solar eclipse, since the sun will be aligned with the center of the milky way I'm expecting quite an spectacle, but I need help selecting the best equipment for this task, I would like to take some images of the eclipse and the milky way on the back (if possible), but I truly not know what telescope would be appropriate since I want to capture 2 different thing with the same exposure, any help will be much appreciated

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TxStars
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/05

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: HELP new [Re: manolo78]
      #5472355 - 10/15/12 09:52 PM

I would take two cameras.
Even though your totality is not long you should get some nice stars with a good short lens.
1) 50 - 80mm on camera #1 Kodak gold 200
2) 300 - 400mm on camera #2 Fuji Velvia 50 slide film

Dave Kodama
sage

Reged: 10/04/10

Loc: CA, USA
Re: HELP new [Re: TxStars]
      #5489082 - 10/25/12 06:50 PM

Sorry I'm late responding. I've been to several eclipses, so here is my input... In my experience, you will not see anything of the Milky Way. Even under the best circumstances, you are hard-pressed to capture even bright stars. The problem is atmospheric scattering. Remember too that the corona is about as bright as the full moon. Perhaps if the eclipse were directly overhead and you were on a very high mountain, you could get a few more stars, but that won't be possible for this coming eclipse from Australia.

For reference, on a very good eclipse (2006) when the sun was high in the sky for me, I was only able to expose for about 5 seconds before getting an overexposed frame. If you see how much you can get by exposing for this short a time at night, you'll get an idea of what stars you can possibly capture.

Sorry for the bad news,

Dave Kodama

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  1965healy, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 750
Calendar Event: 10/15/12

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics