Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
khobar95

Reged: 01/08/12

Loc: Arizona
iOptron Minitower question
      #5473343 - 10/16/12 01:47 PM

I have a sick Minitower mount. I plugged a Celestron NextGuide into the guideport assuming it was ST4, and it's not. Basically I have no motor movement. The controller lights up and looks active but I get a "Can't communicate with DEC motor controller" error.

However, I noticed the controller shows EQ, and when I go through the menu to "Set Mount Type" it shows Equatorial and I can't change it. Is this normal for this mount? The manual says it should be AltAz which is what I expected.

I did reflash the firmware but it made no difference.

I'm guessing I need a new circuit board but I'm curious to know why the mount type seems fixed on EQ.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: iOptron Minitower question new [Re: khobar95]
      #5473373 - 10/16/12 02:15 PM

Any chance that the NextGuide sent high, or reversed polarity DC voltage that the mount wasn't expecting? Perhaps two of the pins were shorted in the control cable, causing an unexpected short circuit in the mount?

In any event, it sounds like one of the chips took a hit. Your best bet is to probably contact iOptron.

Good luck!

khobar95

Re: iOptron Minitower question new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5473397 - 10/16/12 02:37 PM

Hi Bob,

Well hindsight is 20/20, and *after* I tried the setup I went to iOptron's site where they listed an ST4 adapter. I'm guessing a chip took a hit like you said.

I will contact iOptron for sure - they were really good when I had an issue with a DEC motor before (I was able to fix that with a replacement motor from iOptron).

But I'm still wondering about the EQ. Is that normal or does it indicate that I may have other issues? I'd imagine if the controller was toast it would be really obvious.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: iOptron Minitower question new [Re: khobar95]
      #5473481 - 10/16/12 03:49 PM

Seems strange plugging in a wrong format ST-4 cable would cause damage. These are just switch closures. Usual result is a mount's guiding directions are wrong or it's moving in one direction continuously...

khobar95

Re: iOptron Minitower question new [Re: rmollise]
      #5473798 - 10/16/12 06:44 PM

I dunno why the damage occurred, but I did contact iOptron and they were very quick to reply. I told them about the hand controller showing EQ mode only and they suggested that indicated the HC was blown rather than the main board.

Sure enough, I took the cover off the HC and when powered there is a chip that gets very toasty very quickly.

iOptron has suggested I send the HC and main board in and they'll repair as needed. The pricing was quite excellent, too, so I'm going to do that.

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 468

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics