Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Shows & Conferences

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
moonyguy

Reged: 01/08/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Saturday Evening Supper - Group new [Re: Greg K.]
      #6199114 - 11/16/13 11:15 PM

Thanks a lot to everyone who made it for the dinner. Was great to meeting a wonderful group of people and talk shop.

clear skies
Vishnu

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Saturday Evening Supper - Group new [Re: moonyguy]
      #6199142 - 11/16/13 11:28 PM

Ditto! Great meeting you and your better half. I think we could have talked much longer if we hadn't killed our selves walking around the hall all day.

What happened to David? We waiting and waited for him and he up and disappeared.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Saturday Evening Supper - Group new [Re: Greg K.]
      #6200058 - 11/17/13 02:38 PM

Ron, et al;

When I saw you at ASAE I did not realize that this group dinner was not the one that I was going to attend with the folks who drove me down to Tucson--Tom and Jenn Polakis. I apologize if I messed up plans. I did not realize it until we arrived at a Mexican restaurant and I thought "that isn't the one Ron talked about".

Sorry about that;
Steve Coe

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #6200506 - 11/17/13 06:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks a lot to everyone who made it for the dinner. Was great to meeting a wonderful group of people and talk shop.

clear skies
Vishnu

It was an enjoyable evening with some terrific conversation. It was a pleasure meeting you and I hope that you post often!!

David

rboeAdministrator

Re: Saturday Evening Supper - Group new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #6200563 - 11/17/13 07:29 PM

A bunch of us did not realize there were two sites for meals. Oh well, next year! From what Alen told us your group had a real fun time and we enjoyed our company and meal so it was all good. Glad I got to see you in any event!

moonyguy

Reged: 01/08/09

#6200967 - 11/18/13 12:46 AM

The feeling is mutual David. Always nice to get a boost of inspiration from all the amazing things you are doing. Hope to post more often and learn more!
Vishnu

Quote:

Quote:

clear skies
Vishnu

It was an enjoyable evening with some terrific conversation. It was a pleasure meeting you and I hope that you post often!!

David

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

#6201283 - 11/18/13 09:15 AM

We had a great dinner and a great discussion. The lotus garden put together a round table for us so everyone could see each other. I think we could do that again next year. We had a couple we weren't expecting and it was just great to meet new people. So, I suggest some standing guidelines to help. We'll need to remind folks of them next year:

(1) In doubt? You should come. You will be welcome. We initially had a figure 8 with capacity for 16, and then scaled back to 9 so hminsulators could be on the circle, but if there were more, there were seats.

(2) We've been able to keep this reasonably priced- I don't see us moving away from that- I don't know of a better meal waiting to be had. I vote we don't consume our Sunday sales money the night before.

-Rich

rboeAdministrator

Re: Saturday Evening Supper - Group new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6201312 - 11/18/13 09:40 AM

I would consider joining what turned out to be a larger group with Alan, the vendors and many cloudy nighters that got confused between the two. On the other hand many in that group seemed more interested in a pub atmosphere so having two venues where the focus is a bit different is probably a good thing. Not sure if we could arrange that at the same place or not....

Maybe we could meet for dinner then retire to one of the hotels for a BS session afterwards for those folks that would like hobnob more.

The round table was huge success though.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Saturday Evening Supper - Group new [Re: rboe]
      #6202244 - 11/18/13 06:23 PM

Uh, Ron, I'm not sure we can just show up, uninvited, at other people's dinners.

-Rich

rboeAdministrator

#6202403 - 11/18/13 07:49 PM

Probably miss worded that, naturally we'd have to coordinate with the other meal as you are quite right. That would be very poor form.

Transmographied

#6202753 - 11/18/13 10:49 PM

Quote:

Uh, Ron, I'm not sure we can just show up, uninvited, at other people's dinners.

-Rich

Why not? And I promise to have my license and a rental car so I can be the taxi service.

David

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6203275 - 11/19/13 09:19 AM

David, in this context, the term is "Getaway car."

-Rich

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6203307 - 11/19/13 09:34 AM

In a more serious vein, I don't know who was at this other dinner. If it was larger than ours, we're talking about going from a cozy table with everyone able to join in the conversation to over 20 people and it being a long thin table or multiple tables, and being a banquet.

Conversely, if we held the conference at the beautiful Starr Pass Marriott, there would be several restaurants to eat at, as well as a cafe and an indoor/outdoor lounge. The problems with that place is while the grounds have worked well for a star party, it isn't cheap, and nothing else is nearby- no alternative accommodations unless you get back to I-10.

Out in the East, near where we did this dinner, there is a Hilton convention center. This area of the city has many hotels of all stripes, and is the area local Tucsonans call restaurant row. It also has things like Home Depot across the street, so that last minute missing item for vendors would be available. So, in that case, it would be much easier for attendees and vendors to find something their speed, from restaurant to pub, nearby.

-Rich

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

#6203622 - 11/19/13 12:15 PM

I enjoyed it! Thank you for setting that up!

Transmographied

#6203816 - 11/19/13 01:51 PM

Quote:

David, in this context, the term is "Getaway car."

-Rich

In that case, I'll make sure that it has some performance. It was nice having that large, round table for the gang. Makes for a very inclusive conversation.

David

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

Reged: 02/19/10

Loc: La-la land.
      #6204158 - 11/19/13 04:54 PM

I hope to be able to come, next year. I'm looking for a job in Tuscon, once I finish my Ph.D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10384

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics