Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Jarad
Postmaster

Reged: 04/28/03

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: origin of life new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5837709 - 05/03/13 07:03 AM

I am perfectly happy to entertain that hypothesis as soon as you find some observational evidence for it that can't be explained by any current theory.

Jarad

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: origin of life new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5838009 - 05/03/13 10:29 AM

If by "intervention" you mean the laws of chemistry, then sure. After all, water molecules have to get "put together properly" to form ice crystals, carbon and hydrogen have to be "put together properly" to form ethane...

The complexity of the system has nothing to do with the physical means of assembly.

TVG

Reged: 05/03/12

Re: origin of life new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5838026 - 05/03/13 10:34 AM

I believe entropy would play a significant role with this, would it not?

Todd

ColoHank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: western Colorado
Re: origin of life new [Re: StarWars]
      #5838033 - 05/03/13 10:36 AM

Quote:

The human being is a complex bag of water and most likely did not evolve from a turnip or platypus... (sorry Darwin)

More than likely, humans and turnips and platypuses all evolved from the same primordial ooze, perhaps something that formed around a geothermal vent in some ancient sea. The different journeys have been long and difficult, no doubt with innumerable trials and failures along the way, but here we all are: distant cousins in the form of humans, turnips, and platypuses. I know that's hard to imagine, particularly for anyone who's unable (or even worse, unwilling) to acknowledge that we know more now about all manner of things than we did way back when, but what other possible explanation could there be for the existence of turnips? Nobody in His right mind would have created one.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Re: origin of life new [Re: ColoHank]
      #5838122 - 05/03/13 11:14 AM

I am not sharing this quote because it is or is not scientifically valid, i just like.

"Just as the constant increase of entropy is the basic law of the universe, so it is the basic law of life to be ever more highly structured and to struggle against entropy."
Václav Havel

In one of his first speeches of his presidency of the new Chech republic, he said, "sometimes i see life as the universe's trying to do an end run on the 2nd law of thermodynamics."
What a politician, and what an audience it was that cheered the line

Edited by moynihan (05/03/13 11:24 AM)

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Re: origin of life new [Re: moynihan]
      #5838252 - 05/03/13 12:17 PM

But in the end, the result is the same:

"You can't win, you can't break even, and you can't quit"

Joad
Wordsmith

Reged: 03/22/05

#5838352 - 05/03/13 01:04 PM

But you can be perfectly comfortable, even happy, with refusing to play DNA's game and opting to let at least your own personal DNA end with you.

I will admit that the real mystery to me is how some of us are able to do this, but we are.

StarWars
Mr. Postmaster Man

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<
      #5839475 - 05/04/13 02:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The human being is a complex bag of water and most likely did not evolve from a turnip or platypus... (sorry Darwin)

More than likely, humans and turnips and platypuses all evolved from the same primordial ooze, perhaps something that formed around a geothermal vent in some ancient sea. The different journeys have been long and difficult, no doubt with innumerable trials and failures along the way, but here we all are: distant cousins in the form of humans, turnips, and platypuses. I know that's hard to imagine, particularly for anyone who's unable (or even worse, unwilling) to acknowledge that we know more now about all manner of things than we did way back when, but what other possible explanation could there be for the existence of turnips? Nobody in His right mind would have created one.

Don't forgets about the Mosasaurus.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSj7-Dx4sWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xDXrYw3ArE

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

#5839848 - 05/04/13 10:19 AM

And beetles. An inordinate fondness for beetles.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

#5839991 - 05/04/13 12:01 PM

Quote:

And beetles. An inordinate fondness for beetles.

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Re: origin of life new [Re: Joad]
      #5840903 - 05/04/13 11:12 PM

Quote:

But you can be perfectly comfortable, even happy, with refusing to play DNA's game and opting to let at least your own personal DNA end with you.

I will admit that the real mystery to me is how some of us are able to do this, but we are.

A number of years ago I started playing with genetic algorithms. I produced a couple of toy programs for my own amusement and ran them repeatedly.

My biggest surprise was that most lineages became extinct, even if they began with equal fitness to other lineages. ("Lineage" is actually a pretty fuzzy concept in a sexually reproducing population, since they also get remixed very thoroughly, but it also can include specific genetic sequences that are not subject to active and continuous selection). A reproducing population can continue indefinitely even if only a small subset of its genetic material is conserved.

If you think about Mitochondrial Eve and Y Chromosome Adam, who lived roughly 200,000 and 500,000 years ago, respectively, it becomes pretty clear. ME was not the first woman, nor was she the only woman of her generation. There were many thousand human women living at the same time that she was. Each had a unique mitochondrial lineage. Every single one of those lineages has gone extinct since then except hers (and of course that of all her female ancestors up to the time of the first mitochondria). Yet at the same time, the human population has grown enormously, even though most of its genetic lineages have failed.

And you can't say that either Mitochondrial Eve's mitochondria or Y-chromosome Adam's Y-chromosome genes were any more "fit" than those of their contemporaries. In a contest of equals, there can still be only one winner, if that's how the game is set up.

The lesson, I think, is that even if continuing your DNA into the future is your highest priority, chances are it won't happen anyway. So if you've decided not to worry about your DNA's future, you haven't really lost anything. Nature has ensured that there will be plenty other DNA-donors jockeying for position.

StarWars
Mr. Postmaster Man

#5841083 - 05/05/13 02:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

With all the doctors of science and super computers I would think they could definitively reverse engineer the human DNA back to the turnip and platypus...

If it doesn't make sense then it's not true....... Judge Judy

Mister T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5841200 - 05/05/13 07:04 AM

or the turnip truck

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/20/05

Loc: Lexington, KY
      #5841210 - 05/05/13 07:17 AM

Dave,

I am interested in knowing if you attempted/did the following or could extrapolate a conclusion based on the information you have from the studies you did:

Let us imagine that "Eve" was not created or died out. Does another female lineage replace "Eve's" and populates the earth?

Otto

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

#5841277 - 05/05/13 08:36 AM

Quote:

But you can be perfectly comfortable, even haThe lesson, I think, is that even if continuing your DNA into the future is your highest priority, chances are it won't happen anyway. So if you've decided not to worry about your DNA's future, you haven't really lost anything. Nature has ensured that there will be plenty other DNA-donors jockeying for position.

One time when Darwin was asked what he saw as the key distinction between us and the rest of "creation", he replied that he could get up in the morning and decide not to reproduce.

Edited by moynihan (05/05/13 01:18 PM)

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Re: origin of life new [Re: Otto Piechowski]
      #5841438 - 05/05/13 11:00 AM

Quote:

Dave,

I am interested in knowing if you attempted/did the following or could extrapolate a conclusion based on the information you have from the studies you did:

Let us imagine that "Eve" was not created or died out. Does another female lineage replace "Eve's" and populates the earth?

Otto

Here's a difficult concept, for me, at least. "Mitochondrial Eve" was a real woman. But we only know of her indirectly, through the Mitochondrial DNA that has descended from her. And her identity is not as some individual, but more like a job description. It's a functional position, like "Queen Mother", or "Secretary of Ancestry". By definition, this Eve had to have had at least two daughters, (two, at least, who survived to reproduce) and at least one of those daughters had a mutation in in her mDNA that made it distinct from that of her sisters'. It need not have been a large mutation, or one of any functional consequence. It only need be traceable.

Through the generations, this bifurcation in DNA sequences continued, occasionally producing other bifurcations, until there is now a scattering of six major subgroupings, or haplogroups. Interestingly, Non-Africans all tend to host a single haplogroup, while Africans distribute the other 5.

Let's assume that a global disaster occurred, and all Europeans and Asians were to suffer extinction, wih only a few African groups surviving. Would the current Mitochondrial Eve still be valid?

No. The person who we now call Mitochndrial Eve would still have existed, of course, but the title would pass to one of her descendants, the one who gave birth to the most distantly surviving bifurcation.

There's another possibly difficult point: Mitochondrial Eve is NOT our only female ancestor. The only DNA she necessarily contributed to all of us is that of our mitochondria. Mitochondria are only passed down from mother to daughter. We had many other female ancestors, but all of those necessarily included at least one male in the ancestral line. It's highly possible that she contributed NO nuclear DNA, some of which could have been supplied by any of her contemporaries. Because nuclear DNA experiences recombination and mixing, and can come from either males or females, there is no way to trace it into the distant past (with the exception of some marker sequences, perhaps). Her descendants did not populate the Earth, because the Earth (or at least Africa -- and Europe and Asia if one counts Neandertals and Denisovans) was already populated. She merely supplied a single easily traceable genetic marker. Plenty of others could have supplied the rest.

So what if Mitochondrial Eve had never existed? Well, if that woman happened to be named Ayla and lived in the Sudan 200,000 years ago, and if someone went back in time and accidentally landed their time machine on top of her -- the human race would not suddenly have never existed. There were plenty of other women who could have been Mitochondrial Eve had their mDNA had the right opportunities. Maybe a woman who lived prior to Ayla, possibly her grandmother, might have been the title-holder. Maybe her cousin. Maybe a distant relative in Ethiopia. As I mentioned before, inheritance in single lineages is not necessarily a competition based on fitness. It can very well be a contest of equals. And if one competitor is eliminated, there are many others standing by.

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/20/05

Loc: Lexington, KY
      #5841653 - 05/05/13 01:10 PM

I understand. Thank you. Otto

StarWars
Mr. Postmaster Man

Re: origin of life new [Re: Mister T]
      #5842035 - 05/05/13 05:04 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Quote:

or the turnip truck

Darwin delivered turnips in a truck...

minos

Reged: 10/17/12

#5864244 - 05/16/13 11:27 AM

Quote:

If by "intervention" you mean the laws of chemistry, then sure. After all, water molecules have to get "put together properly" to form ice crystals, carbon and hydrogen have to be "put together properly" to form ethane...

The complexity of the system has nothing to do with the physical means of assembly.

Accumulation of reactions leads to complexity!Because of the second law of thermodynamics, the creation of complexity cannot be the driving force of the events, but it rather emerges as the natural result of the accumulation of many simple spontaneously occuring events

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Re: origin of life [Re: minos]
      #5865655 - 05/16/13 07:13 PM

Again, entropy in action. Matter condenses as energy dissipates, and because matter has inherent structure, it condenses into specific structures rather than featureless lumps.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8293

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics