Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
SomeGuy

Reged: 10/17/05

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Help!! Orion Atlas (EQ6) Stopped Tracking :(
      #5480334 - 10/20/12 12:45 PM

Hello! I have an Atlas (non-GoTo) I bought from Orion back in 2006 and the tracking drive seems to have stopped functioning. I've gone from replacing the batteries, rebuilding the power pack, examining the circuit board, etc. and I can't seem to find the issue. The hand controller doesn't work and the LED on the mount doesn't light when properly connected to a good power source. Arggg!

Does anybody have any good ideas on what I might do or what the problem may be? I have very limited funds, Orion Customer Service was no help (they directed me to the Internet), and I'm all out of ideas.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Help!! Orion Atlas (EQ6) Stopped Tracking :( new [Re: SomeGuy]
      #5480768 - 10/20/12 06:05 PM

I am not overly familiar with the non-go-to Atlas, but failed components to look for are small inductors on the power input side and bad voltage regulatirs (usually little three pin chips)...

B. Hebert

Reged: 09/04/06

Loc: Southern California
Re: Help!! Orion Atlas (EQ6) Stopped Tracking :( new [Re: rmollise]
      #5510993 - 11/09/12 03:12 AM

Where does one get Atlas & Sirius mounts repaired when they go bad? Do we need to become electrical engineers or is there a convenient and reliable repair house?

BH

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Help!! Orion Atlas (EQ6) Stopped Tracking :( new [Re: B. Hebert]
      #5512118 - 11/09/12 06:31 PM

You should contact Ed at DeepSpaceProducts.com to see if he can help you. He does hypertunes for the Atlas mount and might know how to fix the electronics as well.

If you can't get it repaired (for a reasonable price) just remember that it cost you less than $250 a year to own that mount, so you got your money's worth out of it. If I can make a car last 6 years with all the miles I drive, I am pretty happy. So maybe saving for a new mount is better than pouring more money into that old one.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 776

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics