Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Best Red Filter (Physical or App) for iPad?
      #5485374 - 10/23/12 02:10 PM

Apologies if this subject has been covered here already. I searched the CN archives to no avail.

SkySafari in its night vision mode is far too bright at a dark site, even with the screen brightness minimized. Is an app available that dims the screen such that dark adaptation can be somewhat preserved, but the chart remains visible? Failing that, does anybody sell a physical red filter that conveniently fits on the iPad? Again, sorry if this answer already exists. Just point me to that discussion if it does. Thanks.

Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Best Red Filter (Physical or App) for iPad? new [Re: Tom Polakis]
      #5485483 - 10/23/12 03:26 PM

I use this self adhering film from Astrogizmos. It works well and it clings to the iPad screen without actually sticking to it, so it can be easily removed and put back on as often as you want. They seem to have a size for the iPad now, back when I bought mine I just got a big sheet of the stuff and cut it myself. You might find that the monochrome mode may look better than night vision mode when you use this film.

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: Best Red Filter (Physical or App) for iPad? new [Re: Lane]
      #5485488 - 10/23/12 03:29 PM

By the way, you need to make sure you go into your iPad Settings (not sky safari settings) and turn off the auto brightness then lower the brightness. Even if you use the red self adhering film you will still want to do this.

GaryJCarter
sage

Reged: 06/06/09

Loc: Fairview, Texas
      #5489308 - 10/25/12 09:35 PM

And select Monochrome Chart in the Appearance settings....

wbb
Vendor (Sirius Astro Products)

Reged: 07/12/11

Re: Best Red Filter (Physical or App) for iPad? new [Re: GaryJCarter]
      #5489510 - 10/25/12 11:45 PM

Try the red cling material from www.siriusastroproducts.com you won't be disappointed.

Steven Aggas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Arizona
Re: Best Red Filter (Physical or App) for iPad? new [Re: wbb]
      #5490427 - 10/26/12 03:27 PM

Hi Tom, I use the Red Eyes "Film" on the laptop. I was observing with Bill Beers, the owner of Sirius Astro Products, in September at the Great Lakes Star Gaze, and we were discussing his planned addition of red cling film for iPads.

Steven

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Best Red Filter (Physical or App) for iPad? new [Re: Steven Aggas]
      #5490536 - 10/26/12 04:49 PM

Thanks, all. I ordered the cling film that AstroGizmos custom sizes for iPad. I am very curious if it will be possible to bring the light down to a manageable level that is both readable and does not affect dark adaptation. I am more finicky than most folks in this regard.

I played with the settings in SkySafari to have it best represent a zoomable sky chart that I enjoyed for many years with Megastar on a laptop. It looks like setting the magnitude limit at 6 when fully zoomed out gets it about right. Maxing out the star symbol intensity makes the atlas much more useable, even though the rare bright star like Sirius or Canopus occupies several degrees in small-scale views.

Any other tips for how to make SkySafari into a useable field atlas would be welcome.

Tom

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
      #5490930 - 10/26/12 09:55 PM

Tom,

I will be interested in seeing how you like the AstroGizmos film. I don't find it as dark or pure red as Rubylith. My method is to use some clear static cling vinyl as a "glue" between the (unpeeled) Rubylitih and the glass screen. I find this works really well.

wbb

Re: Best Red Filter (Physical or App) for iPad? new [Re: btschumy]
      #5491106 - 10/27/12 12:53 AM

Bill,
The Red Eyes Cling from Sirius Astro Products is just the right shade where you can still see the color of your apps, on your iPad screen.

Lane
Post Laureate

#5491167 - 10/27/12 02:24 AM

None of these films will be dark enough if you don't turn off the auto brightness in the iPad settings and then reduce the brightness to a low level. Not only will that make the film work better but it extends battery life beyond ten hours.

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
      #5491220 - 10/27/12 06:16 AM

With a retina display iPad (3rd gen), I've found that the night vision mode with auto-brightness off and brightness all of the way down in the app and in the general settings works fine...

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Best Red Filter (Physical or App) for iPad? new [Re: btschumy]
      #5492080 - 10/27/12 06:51 PM

Bill,

I just received the AstroGizmos self-adhering film today. It's more of a pink than the dark red that I was looking for, but I think it's OK. In a darkened room, I adjusted the brightness of the screen all the way down on the iPad, used night vision mode, and then adjusted the SkySafari screen brightness to about 50%.

It was important to then adjust the intensity of the such features as the constellation lines, stars, and Milky Way to make the chart readable when it's that dim. What I don't like is the brightness of that toolbar at the bottom, which I wish could be dimmed to be the same as the chart.

Ultimately, the hope is for this to be the replacement to Megastar, which requires a laptop and a deep cycle battery. It is not there yet, but it's close!

Tom

wbb

#5492867 - 10/28/12 10:19 AM

Tom,

I've tried both and the Sirius Astro cling is a darker shade. I had to dim down the screen a bit but not much.

Bill

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/05

Loc: NorCal
      #5505812 - 11/05/12 06:42 PM

The AstroGizmos does NOT work well for an iPad2, might for the iPad3 as the latter dims down to a lower level than the former. I used THREE pieces of the Astrogizmos and my screen is still blazing...yes white stars on black...still blazing.

I'm very interested in the Sirius stuff. How much darker is it? I'm hesitate to purchase it as it might end up in the trash.

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: Best Red Filter (Physical or App) for iPad? new [Re: Alvin Huey]
      #5505843 - 11/05/12 07:13 PM

Sounds like something wrong there, because I have both the iPad 2 and the iPad 3, I use one piece of Astrogizmos film and I can dim either one down so low that I can't hardly see the screen. I usually increase the brightness some just to be able to read it.

The Sirius film is the same film just sold by a different place. It is not going to be darker.

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
      #5505851 - 11/05/12 07:24 PM

Alvin,

Are you sure you disabled the auto-brightness feature in the iOS settings? This doesn't sound right at all.

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

#5506691 - 11/06/12 11:10 AM

Quote:

Sounds like something wrong there, because I have both the iPad 2 and the iPad 3, I use one piece of Astrogizmos film and I can dim either one down so low that I can't hardly see the screen. I usually increase the brightness some just to be able to read it.

The Sirius film is the same film just sold by a different place. It is not going to be darker.

I also have both the iPad 2 and 3. Since the iPad 3 has a retina display while the 2 doesn't. The 2 doesn't go as low as the 3 due to lack of the dual backlighting feature. The lowest setting of the 2 is high enough where it is too bright (with three pieces) under mag 6.5 or darker skies.

Quote:

Alvin,

Are you sure you disabled the auto-brightness feature in the iOS settings? This doesn't sound right at all.

Yes.

Edited by Alvin Huey (11/06/12 11:13 AM)

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

#5507066 - 11/06/12 03:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes.

Alvin,

In addition to turning the iPad's brightness all the way down, you need to go into SkySafari's brightness settings, and also turn it at least halfway down. That should bring the chart down to a manageable level, although I still find the thin toolbar below the chart to shine a bit too brightly at this level. That toolbar is nearly acceptably dim in the night vision mode with the AstroGizmos filter in place.

I have yet to use it at the dark site, however. My tests have been done in a darkened bathroom (don't laugh), which is far darker than the darkest site on the planet.

Tom

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
      #5507068 - 11/06/12 03:21 PM

. . . and remember, a guy can turn the toolbar on & off.

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

#5507138 - 11/06/12 04:02 PM

Hi Tom,

I know that we can dim down the SkySafaris...But for other apps, such as my downloadable observing guides with a pdf reader, it won't work.

CS,
Alvin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3678

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics