Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Kevin Lahey

Reged: 01/03/11

Loc: Silicon Valley
AZ EQ6 in the US?
      #5487993 - 10/25/12 01:43 AM

Argh, after reading some of the LX80 threads, I should really know better than to put off purchasing a mount in favor of a mount to be released later, but I'm just curious about when folks think the AZ EQ6 will be available in the US. I think I could be happy with an Atlas, but it would be kind of frustrating for Orion to introduce the AZ EQ6 as an "Atlas II" in November for a little bit more, or, worse yet, drop the price of the Atlas by a few hundred dollars in January.

Any wisdom to share? I'm interested in an astrophotography mount to use with my Canon T3i for wide fields or my William Optics ZenithStar II 80mm. I imagine a CG-5 might do for that, although I could see myself playing around with my C-8 at some point as well, so the Atlas seems like at least a little bit of future-proofing.

Thanks!

Kevin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: Kevin Lahey]
      #5488098 - 10/25/12 06:35 AM

Hi Kevin,

I was also interested in the LX80, but as you found out, the comments about that mount makes it no longer a viable prospect. I have also been following posts on the future Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 mount. It looks like a potentially great alternative. However, it appears that it will cost twice as much as the LX80 and whether it will be available in the U.S. is another issue. Hopefully, Orion will carry it because, from the number of people who ordered or were interested in the LX80, there appears a demand for a mount like that. Possibly some vendor will have one at the Arizona Science and Astronomy Expo here in Tucson in November.

JohnD

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5488461 - 10/25/12 11:40 AM

Kevin,

From the sounds of it, you really would not need the convertable features of the AZEQ6 so it would be a waste of money. While the Atlas/CGEM are definitely overkill for your AP plans, they are far superior mounts to those in the CG5 range and, if you don't mind the wieght, you are always better off over mounted than under mounted. In addition, if you do move to the C8, you will be much happier with the larger mount. As to whether there will be a price drop in the Atlas, you never know, but I doubt it.

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: EFT]
      #5488824 - 10/25/12 03:23 PM

A UK dealer has expectations of the new mount in November but cautions that supply will be limited.

Price is set at 1,395 Sterling

As a comparison the NEQ6 sell for 960 so thats quite a bit of difference. The AZ EQ6 also has encoders in it so its pretty snazzy.

Is the LX80 a dead duck ? I gave up on the threads some time back but kind of imagined its teething troubles were sorted out.

Two UK dealers I know of have dropped the LX80 from their list of 'things to come'.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5488844 - 10/25/12 03:38 PM

Kevin:

Have you considered the iOptron iEQ45?

-Dan

EFT

#5488871 - 10/25/12 03:55 PM

Quote:

The AZ EQ6 also has encoders in it so its pretty snazzy.

I had not noticed before that the AZEQ6 has encoders in it. That sets off some real bells and whistles. One of the things that makes a real difference between the Atlas/EQ6 and the CGEM is the use of stepper motors without encoders in the Atlas/EQ6 as opposed to servos with encoders in the CGEM. I personally prefer the servo/encoder setup, but using CNC machinery I understand the benefit of the stepper systems.

Now, if they have gone to a closed-loop stepper system with encoders on the stepper motors, that could be very good. However, I would be very surprised if that was the case. Far more likely would be that they switched over to the less expensive servo motors used in the CGEM and there have been issues with those motors.

It will be very interesting to hear what is inside once the mount hits the market. That price difference is painful.

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

#5488951 - 10/25/12 05:02 PM

Heres the spec I have seen.....

Payload Capacity: 18kg for imaging and 25kg for visual
Driving Resolution: 0.1436 arc second
Go-To Capability: EQ and AZ modes
Synscan Handset Database: over 42,900 celestial objects
Tracking Speed: sidereal, solar & lunar rates
Tracking Mode: EQ or AZ, dual or single axis
PEC control in EQ mode
Autoguider Port : Yes
DSLR Electronic Shutter Release Port: Yes
Motor Type: DC12V stepper motors
Patented Dual-Encoder design allows manual movement without losing positional information
Polar alignment: via software control or supplied polar scope
Alignment methods: 1, 2 or 3 star alignment (EQ) / brightest star or 2 star alignment (AZ)
Telescope Connection: 2 x dual-fit saddle plates supplied accepting 45mm & 75mm dovetail bars
RA/DEC Worm Gears: D=92.5mm, 180 teeth, brass
RA/DEC Axes: D=40mm, steel
Tripod: 2 Stainless Steel
Counterweights supplied: 2 x 5kg
Counterweight Bar: 25mm Diameter
Mount Body Weight: 15.4kg, Tripod Weight: 7.5kg
Power requirement: 12V DC 3A (Sky-Watcher 17Ah Power Tank recommended)

So it seems its steppers with encoders. I know someone who has one on order so if I get to see it I'll let you know.

Edited by astro_baby (10/25/12 05:04 PM)

EFT

#5488985 - 10/25/12 05:32 PM

That will be a definite improvement and one they could easily add to the Atlas/EQ6 to really upgrade it as well. Might actually be worth the price for some people. Hopefully it will actually be releaseed on time.

Kevin Lahey

Reged: 01/03/11

Loc: Silicon Valley
      #5489097 - 10/25/12 07:01 PM

Quote:

A UK dealer has expectations of the new mount in November but cautions that supply will be limited.

Price is set at 1,395 Sterling

As a comparison the NEQ6 sell for 960 so thats quite a bit of difference. The AZ EQ6 also has encoders in it so its pretty snazzy.

I guess I was trying to figure out whether 960 was a decrease in the price over there. At current exchange rates, it doesn't seem like it ($1547), although the same dealer was charging 1790 for a CGEM DX, so I was a little confused.

I guess I don't mind at all sticking with the EQ6/Atlas rather than getting the extra features of the AZ EQ6 (although it could make solar observing a lot more fun). I just don't wanna deal with a huge price cut (thanks, Ed, for your thoughts on that).

Thanks,

Kevin

TMSP

Reged: 07/21/12

#5501311 - 11/02/12 06:19 PM

Any guesses on if this will be available from a US dealer? One dealer rep told me they did not think this would be sold in the US (or suggested such). From what I can tell from the web sites and guessing - Celestron has the exclusive deal for the US and can determine what they want to sell. I would guess this was done before Skywatcher began feeling their oats.

Anyway, this looks like a beaurty and with the encoders, free form movement tracking, autoguider and GPS capabilities, it looks like a great machine. If the reviews are positive, I would spring for one of these. Yes, I cancelled my LX80 order. Well see if they can beat the 6 month after promised ship date with a viable machine.

EFT

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: TMSP]
      #5501371 - 11/02/12 06:48 PM

Quote:

Any guesses on if this will be available from a US dealer? One dealer rep told me they did not think this would be sold in the US (or suggested such). From what I can tell from the web sites and guessing - Celestron has the exclusive deal for the US and can determine what they want to sell. I would guess this was done before Skywatcher began feeling their oats.

Anyway, this looks like a beaurty and with the encoders, free form movement tracking, autoguider and GPS capabilities, it looks like a great machine. If the reviews are positive, I would spring for one of these. Yes, I cancelled my LX80 order. Well see if they can beat the 6 month after promised ship date with a viable machine.

Actually, Celestron is not the one with the exclusive deal in this case, Orion is. This is an EQ6 which is the same as the Atlas. EQ6 mounts are only sold outside the US while Atlas are sold inside the US. So in a lot of respects, it depends on who is behind the whole thing.

TMSP

#5501433 - 11/02/12 07:29 PM

Thanks EFT. Right, I am hoping someone can bring this in. Or, is Orion going to re-brand? I guess time will tell. If this is a good mount, it should have some play here.

neotesla
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Canada
      #5503061 - 11/03/12 09:44 PM

Starting to see pre order listings at one or two retailers in Canada... The only price I have seen is the Canadian Skywatcher site, MSRP $2199.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: neotesla]
      #5503537 - 11/04/12 08:36 AM

If you want the mount, it won't be hard to get one from Canada.... BUT...my advice is wait a while and see what happens in the U.S., which could save you some money.

martl
sage

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Innsbruck/Austria
Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5504046 - 11/04/12 02:44 PM

Hopefully I will get this mount in about 2 weeks. The guy in the store seemed rather glad about the performance, he measured the pec to be about 5 arcsec peak-to peak and judged it to be a little more stable than the old EQ6. Although I can not validate his data right now, I have no reason not to trust the measurement (of course, pec is not all, more important is the behaviour in Dec with autoguiding). If I have it in hands, I will keep you informed about the performance, the new features (better altitude adjustments, slip clutches and encoders) sound promising if executed properly.

CS
Martin

TMSP

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: martl]
      #5504345 - 11/04/12 06:27 PM

Thanks Guys. Does the orignail EQ6 have decent reviews? Anyone know about the handbox? I am now using a Celestrone after a Meade. In some ways I like the Meade better, but it may be a matter of use. How does this handset program compare? Thanks for any comments. I am seriously thinging about "investing" and appreciate any backstory on this maker and brand.

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/27/08

Loc: Westminster, CO
      #5504740 - 11/04/12 10:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks Guys. Does the orignail EQ6 have decent reviews?

Do a search for "Atlas", as it's the same thing. Lots of people have those and my read on those posts is that they are generally well-respected given their cost and capacity.

oxygen

Reged: 04/10/08

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: Lee Jay]
      #5504950 - 11/05/12 05:20 AM

An Australian dealer has one in stock and they love it. Price is going to be about $2300 where the EQ6 sells for $17-1800. Not sure on when it will be sold though. The shop is Bintel and there is more info on there facebook page.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5505997 - 11/05/12 09:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks Guys. Does the orignail EQ6 have decent reviews? Anyone know about the handbox? I am now using a Celestrone after a Meade. In some ways I like the Meade better, but it may be a matter of use. How does this handset program compare? Thanks for any comments. I am seriously thinging about "investing" and appreciate any backstory on this maker and brand.

I had an EQ6 in the past and It worked well. I wasn't very happy with the tripod. I sold it mostly because I wanted more payload. The steppers are notoriously very strong. I would wait for the new Alt-Az version as the dual encoders sound like a great improvement. The tripod can easily be upgraded.
One thing to keep in mind is that the Atlas weighs about 40lbs for the head only...not sure if that would be an issue.
I also really liked Eqmod and it's polar alignment routine.
The PE of the atlas always seemed very easy to guide out.
Orion has also very good customer service. I have no experience with Meade or Celestron.

Andy

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: andysea]
      #5506038 - 11/05/12 09:47 PM

Quote:

The tripod can easily be upgraded.

How?

EFT

#5506062 - 11/05/12 10:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How?

With an aftermarket spreader or a wooden tripod.

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5506083 - 11/05/12 10:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How?

Oh, I was thinking someone made compatible replacement legs.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5506195 - 11/05/12 11:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How?

Oh, I was thinking someone made compatible replacement legs.

I was thinking that Rob Miller could probably make a tripod for it.

Andy

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

#5506295 - 11/06/12 02:40 AM

Tripod upgrade here....these are quite popular in the UK if you want to spend big.....

http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=firma&sprache=english

Also here for the model numbers that fit the EQ6

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods.html

Edited by astro_baby (11/06/12 02:45 AM)

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5506437 - 11/06/12 08:02 AM

Those are excellent tripods.
The Rob Miller that I have weighs 8 lbs and is just as stable.
The price is about the same.
Andy

ylin
sage

Reged: 05/23/05

Loc: Irvine, CA
      #5507251 - 11/06/12 05:12 PM

I am also skipping the Lx-80 mount. I was thinking about TEK or AP mount but decided they are too expensive for me at this moment.

Now I am betting on this mount...

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: ylin]
      #5507465 - 11/06/12 07:55 PM

The site:
http://www.astroshop.com.au/guides/sky-watcher-azeq6gt.asp
has a detailed review and nice mount pictures. Still the Synscan style microstepping drive (now 720:1 mechanical reduction, including 4:1 belt-drive).

The encoder feedback is rather coarse: 6356 count (or 25424 ticks)/360 degrees (which is approx. 3.4 arc-min resolution) for push to. Note: 6356 = 2x2x7x227 so most likely the encoder is a Renishaw magnetic tape based.

P.S. I do worry about the Alt-Az mode sidereal tracking, since it's microstepping based, unlike DC perm-mag servo design. It is not easy to do smooth and gap-less speed incremental changes, (see my timing loop analysis on the regular EQ6 in CN's ATM subforum here), unless it now uses NCO as its timing source.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

TMSP

#5525798 - 11/18/12 10:15 AM

I see Orion has now posted their version of this. I see that the GPS is not included, nor the camera control and the IN conncection for the power has a different configuration, plus it priced +$100.

Are there other difference that are normally built into the Orion v. Skywatcher version? Folks say they are the same, but are there other differences that are other typically used to diffentiate the product? Thanks,

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: ylin]
      #5525959 - 11/18/12 11:52 AM

It looks like it's going to be a great mount. The belt drive should be a big improvement with respect to DEC guiding. I wish Orion had kept the SW power-in connector which looks sturdier. That however can easily be upgraded by the owner after the warranty has expired.

Andy

TMSP

#5526126 - 11/18/12 01:13 PM

Orion is coming, Orion is coming - Yes, they have announced their version for 1/13 shipment and a different feature set e.g. no GPS +$100.

Is there much difference in the handbox program between OR and SW versions that really make a difference?

I bailed on the LX80 after I saw this and looking forward to first revolution reports.

Seems to me, a SW from Canada at -100, +GPS might be the way to go, but does the Handbox features tip it the other way?

martl
sage

#5528395 - 11/19/12 04:58 PM Attachment (145 downloads)

I got my mount today and set it up indoors. So far it looks rather promising, in my version an illuminated polarscope is included (although it is still the rather crude reticle familiar to CGEM users), the slip clutches work well and also the elevation adjustment seems to be executed well. Contrary to what I've glimpsed in one of the threads the 12V jack can't be aditionally fastened with a screw (would have been a clever idea). Stability seems ok with my 17KG 10"f5 Newton, the mount is more stable than a first look would suggest despite it is rather lightweight. I can hardly wait for outdoor tests if weather permits.

CS
MArtin

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5528404 - 11/19/12 05:03 PM

Congrats Martin! That looks great. Keep up posted with your impressions.

Andy

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

#5528414 - 11/19/12 05:12 PM

So does yours have the standard 2.1mm jack ?

I was curious as go what the two pin screw down connector was seen on some of these, cant find it in any electro catalogues but it looks nicer, more secure and safe. Would like one as a retro fit.

It does look a nice moun though....congrats.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5528443 - 11/19/12 05:31 PM

Quote:

So does yours have the standard 2.1mm jack ?

I was curious as go what the two pin screw down connector was seen on some of these, cant find it in any electro catalogues but it looks nicer, more secure and safe. Would like one as a retro fit.

It does look a nice moun though....congrats.

My Mach1 has a screw-down power connector so I know that they exist. I can take a picture and post it perhaps that will help finding a similar product online.

Andy

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

#5529320 - 11/20/12 02:32 AM

Sorry andy, that was meant for mari. I can get a screw down power with a 2.1 mm jack but the problem with the ones I can aource is they stick out too far at the back end. The new two pin thing which seems to appear on some of the new EQ6 Alt Az mounts looks nicer and, I am hoping, may have a lower profile back end.

I cant believe its unique but I just cant find a connector like it. It may be some weird Japanese/far East connector like some of the Vixens which use a Marushin connector thats near impossible ro source in the uk unless you want to buy 100 of them.

martl
sage

#5530134 - 11/20/12 01:14 PM

There is some sort of thumb screw on the connector, but seemingly only for preventing it frob being insertet too far. I know that devices with additional thumbscrews for fastening do exist, but they are rare. Hopefully I can do some tests tonite.

CS
MArtin

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5530414 - 11/20/12 03:25 PM

It would have been better as a replacement for the Atlas EQ-G at the $1500 price level. I'm not sure that you get enough extra capacity over the Atlas to justify the +$700 cost of the new mount over the still-available Atlas or a CGEM. Also, they could have given it the CGEM DX treatment (slapping the new head on a heftier tripod) and created more of a capacity delta between it and the Atlas. I wonder what they were thinking?

Regards,

Jim

martl
sage

#5530492 - 11/20/12 03:51 PM

I hooked up the autoguider and the guiding works so far very smooth, about 1/2 of my old homemade mount. Goto was a little off, buth this is more due to the user (first time ever I work with a goto mount). I am really curious how this will turn out at the end of the imaging session.

CS
Martin

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/28/10

Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy
      #5530613 - 11/20/12 04:54 PM

Hello Martin, congratulations on the new mount!!
Please keep the info coming,specially if you do guided photography as i understand.
I bet many of us here are very interested on user feedback regarding this mount!

PS: At least i am mostly for photographic use.
Congrats again reall nice looking!

Edited by Mike X. (11/20/12 04:55 PM)

martl
sage

#5530692 - 11/20/12 05:43 PM Attachment (162 downloads)

Bingo! 20 out of 20x4min turned out to be perfectly round 100% crop with 200/900mm Newton, guided with OAG and MGEN. Very happy indeed so far!!

CS
Martin

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

#5530731 - 11/20/12 06:07 PM

nice job!!! Thnx for posting this picture!

rmollise
Postmaster

#5530833 - 11/20/12 07:00 PM

Cool!

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5531409 - 11/21/12 12:45 AM

Wow that AZEQ6 is a really awesome looking mount. Especially the belt drive. I wish my new CGEM DX had that. The LX80 I recently dumped isn't even in the same class. This thing looks like some kind of cool weapon in that picture of it in duel scope mode. But I would have to agree with Jim about the tripod. I think a CGEM DX tripod under the AZEQ6 would have completed this mount for me. That's alot of mount swinging around when loaded down with two OTA's in duel scope mode.

It's even got a 5 year warranty.

I definitely like it alot. I wonder if I could adapt it to my DX tripod. That might increase the capacity.

neilson

TMSP

#5531655 - 11/21/12 08:13 AM

Looks like the beagle has landed in England. Another board has a dealer reporting delivery in the last days and a manual is posted. Couple of "-": If I read it right, in AltAz dual mode there is no way to align two scopes in Azimuth. The manual leaves it to the operator to figure out. Not good if the FOV for 2 scopes is different and the operator can't figure it out! Also, to acheive balance in AltAz (this seems a more inherent issue with the design), you have to move the mount head so the "polar axis" is tilted, balance, then mark and remove everything to set back to AltAz. Scope on, Scope off, Scope on. Seems a hassle, but I guess you can "calculate" this, or do a pre-marked set-up. Any thoughts?

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #5531690 - 11/21/12 08:40 AM

The 2 issues you pointes out are problems with the LX80 also. I would have expected the AZ EQ6 to have solved the azimuth adjustment considering its price.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5531808 - 11/21/12 09:44 AM

Those motors look like their nice and big, no wonder the amp draw is more. Now that looks like a mount that can move my ota with ease even if it's out of balance.
I'm really starting to like this mount. But someone else is going to have to do all the testing on this one before I buy another new design.

neilson

DuiA1

Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: neilson]
      #5531949 - 11/21/12 10:52 AM

Well said Neilson. Would like go see real performance before I jump ship on the lx80 also. I wanted a platform that I could get into ap. I think the lx80 is good for visual but not ap. Wonder if the dealer will credit my lx80 for this?

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: DuiA1]
      #5531992 - 11/21/12 11:10 AM

It doesn't seem fair to compare the LX80 to this new Atlas. Given the huge price difference I would expect the Atlas to be better.
Quite frankly I would be very skeptical of any mount around 1k that was advertised as astrophotography capable. Unless it was a tracker for DSLR and lenses.

Andy

neilson
professor emeritus

#5532014 - 11/21/12 11:19 AM

My dealer (OPT) did, and so did several others and they mentioned it on cloudy nights. Just explain to them that you expected it to work for imaging and/or that its not handling the weight of your ota despite its 40lb rating. My vendor and others also paid for return shipping. They emailed a return UPS label. I was credited the full amount I paid, and it was applied towards my purchase of a CGEM DX. Your vendor might not but I cant see why not.

Andy,
The LXD75 and the CG5 cost alot less than $1,000 and they are both good AP platforms. I do agree the LX80 and the AZEQ6 are not in the same price class and I would expect the AZEQ6 to perform better. Meade gave their mount its rating of 40lb in polar, so I would expect it to perform well in AP with an ota weighing 20lbs.

neilson

Edited by neilson (11/21/12 11:33 AM)

johnpd
sage

#5532712 - 11/21/12 05:34 PM

As I had posted in another thread here, here is a link to the manual:

AZ EQ6 Instruction Manual

You read it correctly regarding no Az adjustment to align two scopes.

JohnD

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5533117 - 11/21/12 11:14 PM

Quote:

Bingo! 20 out of 20x4min turned out to be perfectly round 100% crop with 200/900mm Newton, guided with OAG and MGEN. Very happy indeed so far!!

CS
Martin

Impressive. Thanks for posting.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5533185 - 11/22/12 12:11 AM

Nice tracking Martin. I think you have a winner!

Regards,

Jim

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5533546 - 11/22/12 08:53 AM

Quote:

Those motors look like their nice and big, no wonder the amp draw is more. Now that looks like a mount that can move my ota with ease even if it's out of balance.
I'm really starting to like this mount. But someone else is going to have to do all the testing on this one before I buy another new design.

neilson

Nelson,

AZEQ6 is using the same microstepping driving system as in the EQ-G EQ6. Its mechanical gear down is rather minimum thus a high current, high toque stepping motor is required. I.e., it's a necessity not over-engineering. Mount overload is not a desirable thing since it will cause "driving pulse slip (i.e., hear the horrorable buzzing sound)". Mount will lose its GOTO position, but no actual mechanical gear wearing (which is good after all).

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5533685 - 11/22/12 10:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

neilson

Nelson,

AZEQ6 is using the same microstepping driving system as in the EQ-G EQ6. Its mechanical gear down is rather minimum thus a high current, high toque stepping motor is required. I.e., it's a necessity not over-engineering. Mount overload is not a desirable thing since it will cause "driving pulse slip (i.e., hear the horrorable buzzing sound)". Mount will lose its GOTO position, but no actual mechanical gear wearing (which is good after all).

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

On this mount, it wouldn't lose its goto position due the dual-axis encoders, correct?

EFT

#5533926 - 11/22/12 01:01 PM

According to the daily digest a user by the name of "smee" posted a big long review of his new AZ-EQ6 but I cannot find the new thread or the post in an old thread anywhere. Anybody know where it ended up?

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5534192 - 11/22/12 04:42 PM

Quote:

On this mount, it wouldn't lose its goto position due the dual-axis encoders, correct?

The encoder resolution is much more coarse 3.4 arc-min per tick. So for sure, the encoder is not used for closed-loop servo position tracking.
Encoder is only used in manual push-to situation.

I.e., view such design as a hybrid solution, either GOTO or PUSH TO, but not a combined solution.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5534315 - 11/22/12 06:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The encoder resolution is much more coarse 3.4 arc-min per tick. So for sure, the encoder is not used for closed-loop servo position tracking.

I.e., view such design as a hybrid solution, either GOTO or PUSH TO, but not a combined solution.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Right, isn't that what I said? It wouldn't lose it's GOTO position, same as if you manually pushed it somewhere.

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5534521 - 11/22/12 09:48 PM

AZEQ6 GOTO resolution is 0.140625 arc-sec/microstep, while PUSH TO is 3.4 arc-min/tick. The difference is 1451:1 thus PUSH TO is not so useful in regaining GOTO positioning. Roughly, perhaps; in precision, no.

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

#5534629 - 11/22/12 11:25 PM

You have a point on that.nevertheless I believe for visual use in alt/az mode could be valid even for not doing the entire alignment process from scratch.
In eq mode probably the most interesting parts are the belt driven gears,the altitude adjustment mechanism,the thicker counterweight shaft could also be of some extra help and the slightly larger gears...92,5mm of D instead of 90...but this has all to be proven in the field.
Does all that justifies the extra money instead of a regular atlas? I don't know..But if someone is intending to add a thicker counterweight shaft on the atlas like the geoptik for example or upgrade the altitude bolt...etc..etc...and the new mount performs the same it could be a valid alternative probably.

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5534635 - 11/22/12 11:38 PM

Quote:

AZEQ6 GOTO resolution is 0.140625 arc-sec/microstep, while PUSH TO is 3.4 arc-min/tick. The difference is 1451:1 thus PUSH TO is not so useful in regaining GOTO positioning. Roughly, perhaps; in precision, no.

The point is, goto accuracy is in the multi-arc-minute range anyway, and pushing is no different from stepper motor slipping.

neptun2
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/04/07

Loc: Bulgaria
      #5534784 - 11/23/12 02:41 AM

I see that this new mount have permanent PEC. does that mean that we can use for example PEMPro to train the mount and store the information in the hand controller or this will not be possible?

johnpd
sage

#5534937 - 11/23/12 07:18 AM

That is interesting. I saw the post. It apparently has been deleted.

JohnD

rmollise
Postmaster

#5534972 - 11/23/12 08:00 AM

Quote:

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Not really. Its intent is to provide just that, a combined system. Like the old Ultima 2000, go-to a target, then push to something without losing your alignment.

TMSP

#5537222 - 11/24/12 01:09 PM

Looking at the discussion on the GOTO v. encoders as relates to on/off GT and push.

Appreciate the technical commnets, but don't understand. So, I am thinking about what works in the field. I started to map the options, but post to long. Basically, wonder how this will be managed and any options to "realign" (like the Meade program does) or otherwise handle. First reviewers, could you give us your thoughts? Does it work?

I set up GT, I use Handbox to choose and slew obtects. Now I want to do a long slew and impatient becauses its too slow (is it?), too noisy (is it) or I want to drive myself.

I imagine there is some "disengage" as simple as turning a clutch (no software buttons to pusH) and I speed across the Universe to the opject I want if viewable or close to it if I know the position.

What NOW? Engage, punch up the object and let the Handbox take over? Or,

If I center the obect manually and then turn to GT a

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5537357 - 11/24/12 02:58 PM

TMPS,

1451:1 precision difference is about 1 mile vs. 1 yard.
Let's think about one axis (or one dimension) approach on this positioning precision problem.

Think about you've built a robot-car capable of driving on an Interstate Highway. With initial (3-star) alignment, it knows exactly the robot's position relative to the Highway's milepost.

If the robot is keeping track on yard measurement, if there is no slippage, the robot can drive for 321 miles 123 yard from milepost zero, its position should be 321 mile 123 yard. But if you disable the yard measurement method (or discard the result), all the robot can count is the milepost sign number with the precision of one mile range. So with the latter, it will know it's somewhere close to 321 mile +- 0.5 mile, but no more precision.
Would it be good enough? That's individual user's call.

Let me also provide a hint, if coarse precision is good enough for a GOTO system, how come there is no commercial GOTO system being built with that type of design (or will that vendor survive in a competitive world?)

My 0.02.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5537576 - 11/24/12 05:29 PM

Quote:

Let me also provide a hint, if coarse precision is good enough for a GOTO system, how come there is no commercial GOTO system being built with that type of design (or will that vendor survive in a competitive world?)

There are, and this is one of them. These encoders are designed for goto only, and the accuracy is to get the object into the field of view of the eyepiece. These are plenty good for that. Many systems have this feature.

Go here and start watching the video at 5:15 or so for an example of another system like that.

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5537619 - 11/24/12 06:08 PM

Yeah, he used the term: closed loop system on that XX16g. I'd call it a "rough closed loop" system instead for the reason I mentioned before.

P.S. when I said "that type of design" I meant a GOTO system only gives out arc-min type of resolution natively. (Yes I know that by using "push to" to ruin the precision resolution, the "rough" position can still be recovered.)

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5537624 - 11/24/12 06:11 PM

PPS. one way to regain precision positioning after the PUSH-TO is to inform the handbox the star (with its position known in the database) is now centered in the field. This would be similar with the one-star alignment.

Also, if encoder tick is precision enough (just like the milepost example), in the next GOTO, the handbox algorithm may use it to regain the precision position reference.

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5537702 - 11/24/12 07:06 PM

Above you posted this. "The encoder resolution is much more coarse 3.4 arc-min per tick."

Well, that should be plenty for goto. Picking an extreme, a 50 degree APOV eyepiece at 600x is showing you 5 arc minutes of sky. Getting gotos to +/- 1.7 arc minutes would be great performance as it would have objects in the field of view of that extreme situation.

The high-precision stuff (either from the encoders/pulse counters on the motors or on really expensive systems by having high-precision encoders) is for accurately controlling speed and for guiding. For gotos, these encoders should be just fine, and they should enable a recovery from a slip or a push. Not that you should every cause the steppers to slip, but stuff happens you know.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5538512 - 11/25/12 10:43 AM

Quote:

The high-precision stuff (either from the encoders/pulse counters on the motors or on really expensive systems by having high-precision encoders) is for accurately controlling speed and for guiding. For gotos, these encoders should be just fine, and they should enable a recovery from a slip or a push. Not that you should every cause the steppers to slip, but stuff happens you know.

Exactly. If properly executed, this will work more than well enough.

martl
sage

#5538921 - 11/25/12 03:09 PM

Quite a lot of speculation going on here...In Europe the EQ6AZ costs about the same than a normal CGEM, but an illuminated polar scope comes as standard. The mount is, as far as I can judge after one test, cleverly designed. The altitude adjustment with only one screw is superior to the screw&counterscrew adjustment I have seen on many other mounts, because you can easily operate it with one hand with little force applied. Also the slip clutches are a very cool thing. First, the handles are always at the same position (anybody, who has tried to locate RA and Dec clamps in the dark while stabilizing the scope in that position will appreciate this greatly). Second, the danger of applying too much force to the worm block(e.g. if somebody bumps accidentially the tube or counterweights in the dark and believe me, this can happen! ) is reduced. The additional encoders may only be a consequence of the slip clutches to prevent the alignment from getting lost (it is of course easier to shift a telescope with slip clutches accidentially than with locking srews tightened down fully). Anyway, this is my first goto telescope and I didn't put my focus on goto precision, but rather wanted to test the guiding accuracy. This is what really counts if you want to do astrophotography, and the results exceeded my expectations. RA is very smooth, and the response in DEC to the autoguiding signals is very fast even if they change direction due to small overshooting. If weather permits, I will carry out further tests, but so far I don't regret bying this mount a second.
CS
MArtin

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5538956 - 11/25/12 03:24 PM

More than one site in Europe also reports the payload capacity as 25kg. Any thoughts on that?

martl
sage

#5539114 - 11/25/12 05:04 PM

Well, maybe if you are using a SC/RC or another short tube system on a permanent pier. I wouldn't mount a C14 on that, but if the CGEM can handle a C11, the EQ6AZ should be capable of doing this also.

CS
Martin

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5539148 - 11/25/12 05:40 PM

Quote:

Well, maybe if you are using a SC/RC or another short tube system on a permanent pier. I wouldn't mount a C14 on that, but if the CGEM can handle a C11, the EQ6AZ should be capable of doing this also.

CS
Martin

Well, a C11 weighs 27 pounds, and a C14 weighs 46 pounds. 25kg = 55 pounds. This guy (above) mounted a 37.5 pounds Newtonian and got great results tracking with OAG. I'm wondering if a C14 is really out of the question without lots of auxiliary components and for planetary imaging.

TMSP

#5539174 - 11/25/12 05:54 PM

martl:

Thanks for your comments on the mount. Yours is the first report I have seen from a buyer. I mostly observe, so the push to is interesting feature, but does it work to keep alingment in the field and what is done to get it realigned is needed? Have you seen the manual for the SynScan? I understand it somewhat different in features to accomadate both AltAz and Eq. Thanks for any further comments as you have time and inclinations. I am looking hard at dropping $$ on one and appreciate any insight.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5540139 - 11/26/12 11:18 AM

Hard to say. You see the same stuff with Vixen mounts. The manufacturer's website provides one rating, and the US dealer "makes up" another, more favorable rating, likely to suggest that the mounts compete capacity-wise with more popular higher capacity, lower priced mounts. I'd go with the capacity rating Sky-Watcher posts when it lists the mount on its website.

- Jim

martl
sage

#5540505 - 11/26/12 03:21 PM

Well, "this guy" was me and I carried out the tests with my 8"f4 because I have to make an adapter for my smaller tripod to use the 10"f5, otherwise the eyepiece will be out of reach. However I have no reason to doubt that the mount also carries my 10"f5 for photographic applications provided that there isn't too gusty wind.

The manufacturer's specifications are 20kg and I don't think that they give this without reason. You may be able to fit a C14 to that, but with the necessary counterweights (at least 4x5kg I would estimate because a C14 will set the COG farther out) this will add a considerable mass which has to be kept in motion and accelerated for goto. Also the tripod may be too weak for this weight. If you want to use it for planetary imaging, it may work. For deep sky I have my doubts.

CS
MArtin

martl
sage

#5540523 - 11/26/12 03:29 PM

Well, I certainly won't fiddle with the altaz configuration. I think this feature was completely dictated by the market, for me it is of no use, so I can't help you in this regards, sorry. I will test how the additional encoders can keep the goto orientation at the next possibility, however the forecast is mostly cloudy for the next 5 days, so I am a little bit dependant on weather conditions.

CS
MArtin

BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
      #5550490 - 12/02/12 02:55 PM

martl, your review should be interesting.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
      #5559601 - 12/07/12 04:51 PM

Marti,

Based upon your success, I ordered an Az EQ6 from KW Telescopes in Kitchener, Ontario last week and it will be delivered next Tuesday. I plan on using a C9.25 on mine; and since the mount did so well with your 10" f/5, it should handle my OTA with ease.

Jack Huerkamp

martl
sage

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5561049 - 12/08/12 03:19 PM

Jack, it should do well with a C9,25. Today I had the first chanche to set up the 10"f5 for photographic tests outside, it is f*** cold and a very poor transparency. Hope I can do a few shots of NGC2403 before the fog builds up again.

CS
Martin

neilson
professor emeritus

#5561676 - 12/08/12 11:16 PM

I think you made a very good choice Jack. The AZ EQ6 is looking like a well made mount. I can't wait to see how well it works with your C9.25 for AP.
neilson

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5562436 - 12/09/12 01:08 PM

Neilson,

Me too. If it holds Marti's 10" f/5 Newtonian, it should handle my C9.25 easily. I just removed the ADM Vixen plate I bought for the C9.25 and replaced the stock orange Losmandy plate as the SkyWatcher is made for both Vixen or Losmandy plates. The ADM vixen plate is nice, but the Celestron orange Losmandy plate adds a nice tough to the OTA.

The mount left Nashville, TN at 2AM on Saturday morning and is scheduled to arrive by the end of day on Tuesday. Hopefully it gets to New Orleans early enough to get on a delivery truck Monday. I am anxious to set it up.

Jack

martl
sage

#5562621 - 12/09/12 03:10 PM

The conditions yesterday were miserably, however I could do 11x12min with my 10"f5. The first 3 shots were a little bit egg-shaped, but after that I lowered the agressivity in Dec and the rest was round stars. Still very impressed.

CS
MArtin

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

#5562974 - 12/09/12 06:58 PM

Could you please share the pics with us whenever you can?I would really appreciate it

martl
sage

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: Mike X.]
      #5564247 - 12/10/12 02:02 PM Attachment (122 downloads)

This is a crop of NGC2403, but it was nearly impossible to remove the colourful gradiens I had.

CS
Martin

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5564256 - 12/10/12 02:07 PM

Looks like the tracking is nearly perfect.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5564262 - 12/10/12 02:13 PM

Marti,

That is quite impressive considering the OTA you have on the mount.

Although UPS received the SkyWatcher packages from KW Telescope at 2AM, they decided to tease me further and not load them on a delivery truck. I guess I have to wait one more day to receive mine.

Jack Huerkamp

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

#5564746 - 12/10/12 07:19 PM

Impressive Martin!! Thank you very much!!
I think i will give a serious consideration on this mount

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5564796 - 12/10/12 08:00 PM

Martin,

I assume you are using this mount in EQ configuration, right?
Guiding or no guiding?

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

martl
sage

#5566348 - 12/11/12 05:33 PM

Yes, and of course with autoguider. Next time I will try to record a pec and see how unguided exposures work. However I can hardly imagine using the mount without autoguider, the mgen is so small and easy to use and includes also the dithering function that it makes no sense for me to use the mount unguided. There is an outlet to control the EOS, but the mount won't do any dithering without autoguider (would be a nice feature to be included in future software updates however).

CS
Martin

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5566464 - 12/11/12 07:21 PM

Well, UPS finally decided to bring me my mount. It arrived in mid afternoon while I was at a doctor's appointment. I received an email update from UPS confirming delivery and as soon as my doctor released me, I dashed home and set it up.

What a beautiful, well thought out mount. I added the C9.25 with Losmandy dovetail plate to it and the mount did not budge. Based upon the results Marti has obtained, I have no fear that this combination will work well for MallinCam viewing at outreach events and star parties.

I shot a short video with my iPhone and uploaded it to YouTube. This is one quiet mount!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqsSm-vGQ14

Jack Huerkamp

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

#5566472 - 12/11/12 07:27 PM

The sound is really clean! Seems the belts are helping on that!

DuiA1

#5566482 - 12/11/12 07:34 PM

Let me be the first to congratulate you. Looks awesome! Sounded very quiet and smooth. Enjoy it Jack and look forward to your reviews...

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5566516 - 12/11/12 07:56 PM

In a way the drives sound a little like the SkyTracker on the StarMaster Dobs. Now to get it outside and give it a test drive - as soon as it clears up.

Regarding weight, it is not bad at all. The total weight of the packages was 86# including the two 22# counterweights. Its a lot easier to maneuverer than the other multi mount I own.

Jack Huerkamp

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: N of Tampa
      #5566541 - 12/11/12 08:26 PM

Jack,Congrads on a great mount,best of luck.

Very nice looking,indeed.....Sure looking for more reviews..

Jack isnt that 2x11 lbs counter weights? total 22 lbs?

Edited by mega256 (12/11/12 08:28 PM)

stevetaylor199
sage

Reged: 09/21/11

Loc: SE Wisconsin
Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: mega256]
      #5566566 - 12/11/12 08:54 PM

One of the features that jumped out at me on Jack's video of his AZ EQ-6 is that the power cable plug is secured with a screw-on fastener (just after 1:07 in the YT video). That's certainly a welcome change from the simple jack on my Orion Atlas. (In fact, I've thought of having mine modified by a third party.)

Yet, when I look at the Atlas Pro product on the Orion website -- which I've come to believe is the same product, except in, you know, black -- I see the same cheap jack as the old Atlas. Nor does it have the "SNAP" feature on Jack's mount; and where Jack's mount has a red LED, I see just a blind hole in the Atlas panel.

What's the deal -- is the photographed unit in the Orion catalog just a mockup or prototype? Or will there be different feature sets on the SW and Orion mounts?

Finally, and excuse me for breezing past this, where can one currently buy the AZ-EQ6 for shipment to the US?

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5566606 - 12/11/12 09:27 PM

Bob,

OOPS! Yes two 11# counterweights for a total counterweight of 22#.

Jack

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: stevetaylor199]
      #5566610 - 12/11/12 09:32 PM

Steve,

Talk to Brian at KWTelescopes in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada:

http://www.kwtelescope.com/

1-877-345-5757

I ordered min last Tueaday and it arrived in a week.

Jack Huerkamp

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

#5566717 - 12/11/12 10:51 PM

The Orion Atlas and The Skywatcher are different..
There is no gps and camera controll in the Orion unit.
Look on the web for the skywatcher specs..
From the begining pages of this post..
http://www.astroshop.com.au/guides/sky-watcher-azeq6gt.asp

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5566760 - 12/11/12 11:18 PM

Someone else pointed out the same differences especially the apparently better design of the Skywatcher power jack. My AP mount has a similar connector and It definitely a makes for a very secure power connection.

Andy

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

#5566814 - 12/11/12 11:53 PM

It's weird when i saw the mount in Italy at the presentation the connector on the AZEQ6GT was just like the classic NEQ6...I guess there are models with different connectors for different places in the world...could it be?

johnpd
sage

#5566924 - 12/12/12 02:06 AM

Quote:

The Orion Atlas and The Skywatcher are different..
There is no gps and camera control in the Orion unit.

The Skywatcher does not have GPS either. It is an additional module you have to purchase.

JohnD

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: johnpd]
      #5566959 - 12/12/12 03:49 AM

Thanks,I thought that I read that it did have a buit in gps...

post #5525798

Edited by mega256 (12/12/12 03:54 AM)

johnpd
sage

#5566962 - 12/12/12 04:00 AM

Well I am confused. On further checking it appears that a number of Canadian dealers are including the GPS module. I see nothing in Europe indicating that the GPS is included.

JohnD

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5567217 - 12/12/12 09:33 AM

From Brian at KWTelescopes:

"We have had a few calls for the new mount- only 14 were brought into Canada and we took 6 of them- probably would have taken all had we any info on the mount or seen one before hand. All come with GPS."

So whether or not you get a GPS module depends on who you buy your AZ-EQ6 from.

Jack Huerkamp

neilson
professor emeritus

#5567481 - 12/12/12 12:26 PM

Hi Jack,
Is sounds like it would be a good ideal to ask when you place your order to make sure your getting GPS.
I think all mounts should come with built in GPS, its 2012, not 1980.
I wouldn't be surprised if models sold in the U.S. did not include GPS so they could sell an add on unit and make an extra $120.+ like mounts sold by other telescope manufacturers here.
Hopefully that wont be the case, this is a really modern mount and I haven't seen any short cuts in the way it was built. Although I think a bigger tripod would have been nice.

neilson

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

#5567705 - 12/12/12 02:23 PM

Skywatcher just announced version 3.23 software and reccomend the Alt Az RQ6 is upgraded with it. Also themanual for the new software is out and downloadable and much better than the old one....read it today in my lunch hour.

The manual for the mount is also much better than previous Skywatcher manuals.

stevetaylor199
sage

Reged: 09/21/11

Loc: SE Wisconsin
      #5567737 - 12/12/12 02:35 PM

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on the features, gents. It's worth noting that I did later find a photo of the AZ EQ-6 at a European vendor which also did not show the screw-retaining feature on the power jack, nor a SNAP jack, nor an LED. With that and the GPS considerations in mind, it will probably be wise to ask one's retailer those questions at this point.

Dumb question:... I did look at the Skywatcher manual for the AZ EQ6, and my impression was that it seemed a bit lacking; I ended up coming away with this dumb question: this mount *does* offer GoTo and tracking in AltAz mode for visual applications, right? Right??

Edit: nevermind -- I realized that astro baby is referring to the manual associated with the firmware update (here), not the manual for the AZ EQ6 mount itself that I was reviewing last night. Now I see how the mount is aligned in the EQ mode, which was the information missing from the mount manual which had piqued my question.

Edited by stevetaylor199 (12/12/12 02:43 PM)

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5567792 - 12/12/12 03:07 PM

I will check the firmware version on my AZ-EQ6 when I get home tonight, but I think it is current. When I first started the mount last night it asked me to confirm if I was in EQ or Alt-Az mode, which is exactly what the SynScan Instruction Manual for the current software version says should happen.

My SkyFi cable for the mount should have arrived in today's mail, so I will try to set the mount up in A/A mode and see if I can control it with my iPAD and make sure it is tracking after going to a target.

This weekend I will try to duplicate this with real stars outside.

Jack

DuiA1

#5567982 - 12/12/12 05:22 PM

Thanks Jack. Really want to make sure it works with SkyFi . I absolutely love it and use it with all my scopes.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5568089 - 12/12/12 06:53 PM

I just chedked and my mount came with Version 3.31 of the firmware. I will try to update the firmware tonight to Version 3.32 and if time permits test the AZ-EQ6 with my SkyFi.

Jack

10gauge
sage

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: Boston
      #5568241 - 12/12/12 08:34 PM

So, does the AZ EQ-6 sold on the Orion website for $2300 have the GPS?

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: 10gauge]
      #5568261 - 12/12/12 08:52 PM

Quote:

So, does the AZ EQ-6 sold on the Orion website for $2300 have the GPS?

It doesn't appear to. It says "sold separately" under GPS in the specs.

Edited by Lee Jay (12/12/12 08:54 PM)

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5568303 - 12/12/12 09:18 PM

I just installed V3.32 of the firmware to the mount and the controller now indicates the following:

Hardware 3.06
Firmware 3.32
Data Base 3.32

I then did a fake alignment inside and connected my SkyFi to the mount using the SynScan cable that arrived today from Southern Stars. I firs tused my iPhone 4S to control the AZ-EQ6 and during Survivor, I controlled the mount using my iPAD. This was with the mount set up in EQ mode. Tomorrow I will repeat the testing with the mount set up in Alt-Az mode. For now I am a VERY happy camper.

Jack Huerkamp

neilson
professor emeritus

#5568341 - 12/12/12 09:42 PM

Maybe the extra $100 was to remove the GPS.
Celestrons gps is now $199. Orions GPS doesn't show a price at Telescopes.com. But if its the same then the mount should be $199. less not $100. more. Thats $300. more for the Orion if you get the Celestron GPS.
Is there something better about the Orion to warrant the extra cost.

neilson
I Just found the Orion GPS for $149 at one store and $199 at another

johnpd
sage

#5568740 - 12/13/12 07:06 AM

Jack,

Did you receive the separate GPS "mouse" unit? It looks like that is required to connect to the satellites.

Edit: This is the manual for it: Synscan GPS (V3) Instruction Manual

JohnD

Edited by johnpd (12/13/12 07:11 AM)

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5568786 - 12/13/12 08:07 AM

Brian of KWTelescopes forgot to pack it with the tripod. He will be sending it to me separately. He told me that the AZ-EQ6 units they are selling include the GPS module. The module plugs into the hand controller and once your location information is feed into the controller and the mount aligned, it can be disconnected. That is important as for computer control, the same port on the hand controller is used.

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5568845 - 12/13/12 09:04 AM

Someone sent me a private message asking if it is possible to change modes of the mount while the OTA is in place. The answer is YES. This morning I quickly moved from 30 degree latitude EQ mode to Alt-Az mode while the two counterweights and my Celestron 9.25 were mounted on the AZ-EQ6.

Jack Huerkamp

neilson
professor emeritus

#5569052 - 12/13/12 11:22 AM

Congratulations on your new mount Jack, I do envy you. I look forward to seeing how good it works for imaging when you get to that point.

neilson

johnpd
sage

#5569502 - 12/13/12 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info Jack. I confirmed my order and my mount should be on the way shortly.

JohnD

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
      #5569549 - 12/13/12 04:33 PM

Thanks for the all the info gents. I was close to asking Santa for an Atlas but was concerned it would struggle with a C11. Sounds like this may be able to handle a C11 for AP. I will be following this thread closely!!

Best,

George

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: ghataa]
      #5569850 - 12/13/12 08:04 PM

I have a C9.25 on my AZ-EQ6 and the 11" OTA weighs only 7# more. A geltleman in Austria is using a 38# 10" f/5 on his AZ-EQ6 with great results in astrophotography. Your 11" should work great on this mount.

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5569871 - 12/13/12 08:15 PM

Here is a short YouTuber video showing the AZ-EQ6 in ALt-Az mode:

http://youtu.be/Abx33G8vLnI

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5569873 - 12/13/12 08:16 PM

Here is a shorter one showing how quiet the mount is while slewing:

http://youtu.be/Shp1I24dBHo

Jack Huerkamp

astroRoy
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/09/11

Loc: Southern Oregon
      #5570010 - 12/13/12 09:44 PM

I read this thread pretty thoroughly, but didn't see any reference to EQMOD. Will EQMOD work on this mount?

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Edited by astroRoy (12/13/12 09:46 PM)

astroRoy
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/09/11

Loc: Southern Oregon
Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: astroRoy]
      #5570166 - 12/13/12 11:53 PM

I see my question was answered in another thread and the answer is yes.

Thanks all,

Roy

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: astroRoy]
      #5570175 - 12/14/12 12:04 AM

Very
COOL

Edited by mega256 (12/14/12 07:10 AM)

johnpd
sage

#5570281 - 12/14/12 03:13 AM

I will be interested in finding out how well aligned in Az two scopes in Alt-Az mode will be. There is no adjustment capability included. According to the Instruction Manual, the user has to find a "proper way" to eliminate the azimuth deviation.

JohnD

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

#5570388 - 12/14/12 07:10 AM

Looks great Jack,but the poor LX80 is starting to get dust
on it in the backround....lol.....
Are u Happy ?...much more money,,,but ur getting ur money's
worth.....This one wont be getting dusty,,,imho
Cant beat that EQ-6 sound...and will be looking forward to
a new thread "" the eq in use..""... to see(I like my iEQ45 but sounds like a washing machine..but works great lol
It will be interesting to see
how the push to go keeps up with the goto,,keep ur comming..

ghataa
professor emeritus

#5570441 - 12/14/12 08:14 AM

Thanks Jack! It is really quite quiet!!

George

desanctb

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Calgary,Canada
      #5570577 - 12/14/12 10:13 AM

I just received my azeq6 and can confirm it works with Eqmod. No special cable is needed, just the supplied cable and a USB to serial adapter.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: desanctb]
      #5570631 - 12/14/12 10:46 AM

The standard Atlas works exactly the same way; it's only when you want to take the HC out of the loop that you need the little EQDIR level coverter module.

martl
sage

#5571126 - 12/14/12 04:43 PM

Wow, 2 days offline and so many posts. Congratulations, Jack, to your purchase, I think you will love the mount. Please keep us updated about the goto performance, this is the only thing which I can't get working as I want at the moment. I was out at my observing site 2 days ago, but it had -15C, too cold for testing goto. Also my primary was pinched in its cell because I hit it accidentially with my car door, but realised this only after the photographic session.

CS
Martin

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5571420 - 12/14/12 07:42 PM

Marti,

Have you updated to V3.32 of the firmware - just released yesterday? I was unaware there were GoTo issues witht the mount. I have been testing it indoors with my iPAD controlling the mount and each GoTo placed the scope on the target. I don't know if real stars act differently than fake stars. Hopefully I will get a chance to try it out under real ones this weekend; but right now the clouds have rolled in.

Jack H

johnpd
sage

#5571458 - 12/14/12 08:04 PM

Quote:

I was unaware there were GoTo issues witht the mount.

There was a dealer in Australia who did some preliminary testing of the mount and noted that fact. He posted a couple of days ago that Synta came through with a correcting firmware update. Here is the site: Astronomy Australia AZ-EQ6

martl
sage

#5572745 - 12/15/12 03:15 PM

Probably the issues are more with the user than with the mount . The manual states that for optimum goto acurracy, you should deactivate the additional encoders (?)

CS
Martin

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

#5572848 - 12/15/12 04:43 PM

It may have sense.To me seems that at least in EQ mode the mount uses the exact same Synscan mechanism for GOTO which is nothing more than the microstep system of NEQ6.The encoders are of no use in that case for goto...but i might be wrong.

PS: If you guys make more DSO photos please keep us posted as we are extremelly interested on the guiding accuracy of this mount.I expect it to be no less than the NEQ6/Atlas though.

10gauge
sage

#5578002 - 12/18/12 10:02 PM

I am interested in purchasing an AZ EQ-6. I already own an IPad3.
1. What GPS is recommended?
2. What is role of the GPS besides entering coordinates for alignment? Can the accurate coordinates obtained in SkyEye App on my phone be used to substitute for the alignment role of the GPS?
3. What is required to search for sky objects?
4. Can the mount find objects without external software using only hand module?
5. Is the alt-az mode smooth and stable as a DM-6, T-Rex, or a UA Deluxe with a 5-6" refractor?
6. Any comparison with a G11 in terms of PE?

Thanks

EFT

#5578037 - 12/18/12 10:29 PM

Quote:

I am interested in purchasing an AZ EQ-6. I already own an IPad3.
1. What GPS is recommended?
2. What is role of the GPS besides entering coordinates for alignment? Can the accurate coordinates obtained in SkyEye App on my phone be used to substitute for the alignment role of the GPS?
3. What is required to search for sky objects?
4. Can the mount find objects without external software using only hand module?
5. Is the alt-az mode smooth and stable as a DM-6, T-Rex, or a UA Deluxe with a 5-6" refractor?
6. Any comparison with a G11 in terms of PE?

Thanks

1. GPS is not needed but there is one specifically for the mount if you want it.
2. GPS does nothing more than tell the mount were it is an when it is. This information is easily obtained from your smart phone and entered in the hand controller.
3. The hand controller and some idea of what it is you want to see, but there are frequently tour features available in hand controllers as well that will show you some the the night's best viewed objects. Most hand controllers, and I think that includes the Synscan, keep you from slewing to objects that are below the horizon.
4. Absolutely.
5. Since these mounts just came out, there is insufficient information to make a judgement about their performance compared to the mounts you list. However, the AZ EQ6 is a very different type of mount and will function differently than those mounts (all of which are manual, non-motorized, non-tracking mounts) in general.
6. Again, the mount is too new to have any good comparison information, but in general I would expect it to be most similar in performance to the EQ6/CGEM mounts which are generally a little lower rated than the G11.

johnpd
sage

#5578126 - 12/18/12 11:19 PM

10gauge,

You can download the Synscan hand controller manual from here (bottom of page) and get an idea of the various functions available on the hand controller for the AZ-EQ6.

JohnD

10gauge
sage

#5578159 - 12/18/12 11:39 PM

Thank you, Ed, for a detailed response. As a newbie, things can become quite abstract if one hasn't laid hands on equipment. I've been gathering equipment and learning as much as I can from knowledgeable people like yourself as I wait for my TEC 140 to arrive...

Thanks again!

EFT

#5578169 - 12/18/12 11:50 PM

Quote:

Thank you, Ed, for a detailed response. As a newbie, things can become quite abstract if one hasn't laid hands on equipment. I've been gathering equipment and learning as much as I can from knowledgeable people like yourself as I wait for my TEC 140 to arrive...

Thanks again!

Very nice scope that deserves a nice mount to go on. Congrats.

10gauge
sage

#5578199 - 12/19/12 12:12 AM

Thank you, JohnD. I will review the manual.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5578529 - 12/19/12 08:12 AM

10gauge,

If you have an iPAD3, all you need to control the AZ-EQ6 is the SkyFi unit, the SynScan cable to interface it to the mount's hand controller and Sky Safari on the iPAD. I received my AZ-EQ6 on the 12th and have been controlling it using my iPAD 3 inside with good results. This weekend I hope for my first tests with real stars.

Jack Huerkamp

10gauge
sage

#5579701 - 12/19/12 09:47 PM

Thank you, Jack. So I'll get the Sky Safari Pro for $39.99 and start from there...

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5579830 - 12/19/12 11:24 PM

You won't be sorry. It is a great APP for the iPAD or iPhone.

Jack

johnpd
sage

#5580029 - 12/20/12 03:46 AM

Quote:

If you have an iPAD3, all you need to control the AZ-EQ6 is the SkyFi unit, the SynScan cable to interface it to the mount's hand controller and Sky Safari on the iPAD. I received my AZ-EQ6 on the 12th and have been controlling it using my iPAD 3 inside with good results. This weekend I hope for my first tests with real stars.

Jack Huerkamp

My mount is due to arrive this Friday. I have the Orion StarSeek (Orion's version of the SkyFi). I will see if that works also with my iPad.

JohnD

johnpd
sage

#5580049 - 12/20/12 04:15 AM

Jack,

You mentioned in a post somewhere that after upgrading the firmware, you need to shut down the mount first before shutting down the update software. Is this correct? I can't find your original post.

JohnD

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5580259 - 12/20/12 09:02 AM

John,

The first time I did the update to V3.32, I got the green bar indicating a successful upload. I then shut down the loader program while leaving the mount running. .Wwhen I shut off the mount and then restarted it, the display on the handpad was blank - nothing. I thought I had really messed up the mount. I repeated the firmware update and this time, I shut off the mount before closing the loader program. When I re-started the mount, the display on the handpad came back to life. What a relief!

I don't know if the upload the first time was corrupted or if you have to shut down the mount before closing the loader program. I just know shutting down the mount first worked the second time.

Jack Huerkamp

desanctb

#5580527 - 12/20/12 11:50 AM

I received my mount last week and I can confirm both EQ MOD and sky safari both work flawlessly with the included cable and a USB to serial adapter....no other special adapters needed! As a previous owner of the EQ6, I think this version is the best yet! The Canadian version does come with a GPS, but skywatcher does say version 3.32 is needed. I had no issues updating the HC, and have yet to test the mount outside. For anyone thinking of purchasing this mount, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5580571 - 12/20/12 12:27 PM

Quote:

I received my mount last week and I can confirm both EQ MOD and sky safari both work flawlessly with the included cable and a USB to serial adapter....no other special adapters needed! As a previous owner of the EQ6, I think this version is the best yet! The Canadian version does come with a GPS, but skywatcher does say version 3.32 is needed. I had no issues updating the HC, and have yet to test the mount outside. For anyone thinking of purchasing this mount, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Have you tried it with your C11HD yet? That's a combo I'm considering so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on that.

ghataa
professor emeritus

#5580621 - 12/20/12 12:48 PM

I too am looking forward to seeing your AP results with the C11HD. Hoping for clear skies for you!

Best,

George

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5580761 - 12/20/12 02:01 PM

...or iPad 2, or iPod Touch, or iPhone, or even an Android OS device.

They all work.

- Jim

desanctb

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5581025 - 12/20/12 04:36 PM

Unfortunately the two weights that come with the azeq6 are inadequate to properly balance the c11hd ota and my ap900 weights don't fit. I have to source out another weight so it may be a while before ill be able to do any AP with this combination. Meanwhile my TV 127is should work and will forward any results ASAP!
Burt
RASC

ghataa
professor emeritus

#5581272 - 12/20/12 07:02 PM

Best of luck and thanks for sharing!

George

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5583193 - 12/21/12 08:54 PM

Well the postman just brought my latest addition to my AZ-EQ6 - the spreader and tray manufactured in Canada by TPIAstro:

http://www.tpiastro.com/spreaders.htm

I purchased mine from the same firm that I got the mount from - KWTelescopes of Kitchener, Ontario. Brian shipped it on Monday and it arrived in 4 days via Canadapost. The spreader was very eady to install and the tray is held in place with a clamp to one of the spreader legs. Using the spreader makes a very tight tripod even tighter. The tray is not necessary, but I use it to carry the 26AH battery box with multiple 12vVDC output plugs. THis helps with cable clutter control.

Jack Huerkamp

johnpd
sage

#5583273 - 12/21/12 10:03 PM

Well my mount just came. A lot of extra fees involved. $74 by VISA for a "Foreign Transaction Fee" and UPS charged $94 for a Brokerage Fee. Jack, did you promise Brian a boatload of Gulf shrimp to drop the value of the shipment?

JohnD

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5583359 - 12/21/12 11:08 PM

John,

My mount arrived with no fees collected by the UPS drive. But on Wednesday, I received a customs bill from UPS. I too used a VISA card, but there was no "Foreign Transaction Fee". There was $81+ in Duties and $34+ in other miscellaneous fees for a total bill of a little over $115.

Jack

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5583371 - 12/21/12 11:19 PM

John,

Why didn't I think of offering Brian shrimp! Maybe Customs would have paid me.

Jack

johnpd
sage

#5583389 - 12/21/12 11:35 PM

Jack,

To power the handcontroller stand-alone, the Synscan manual says you need a tip-positive "2.0mm"? I.D. and 5.5mm O.D. cable. Most cables are 2.1mm x 5.5mm tips. Do you think this is a misprint? I have a number of 2.1mm x 5.5mm tip-positive cables and they seem to fit ok in the Synscan. Should this be ok? I also have a Pyramid 10amp power supply. Should this work as the power source?

Thanks,

JohnD

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5583401 - 12/21/12 11:56 PM

John,

I am unaware of a 2.0mm ID x 5.5mm OD power connector. I have heard of 2.1x5.5 and 2.5x5.5. I just plugged a 2.1x5.5 power cord into my SynScan without issue.

However, why would you run power right to the SynScan instead of getting power from the mount itself?

On another note, I just open up my VISA bill and there was a $70+ foreign transaction fee.

Jack

johnpd
sage

#5583407 - 12/22/12 12:03 AM

One issue I ran into:

The dowel on the tripod (onto which you align the mount) has two holes into which it can be inserted. Not sure why. It came with the dowel in the hole that is between two tripod legs instead of in line with one of the legs. Between the legs makes it a little difficult to access the polar scope because you can't nestle under the mount since you are blocked by one leg. I switched it to the other hole.

JohnD

EFT

#5583446 - 12/22/12 12:32 AM

Quote:

John,

My mount arrived with no fees collected by the UPS drive. But on Wednesday, I received a customs bill from UPS. I too used a VISA card, but there was no "Foreign Transaction Fee". There was $81+ in Duties and $34+ in other miscellaneous fees for a total bill of a little over $115.

Jack

You have to be really careful with UPS on this stuff. They will deliver the goods and even have you sign for it without ever telling you there is a fee. Then they send you a surprise bill later and expect you to pay it. If you call to complain they will tell you that there is nothing they can do because they already sent the money to customs but you can contact them (good luck with that). They will do this even on things that should not be subject to customs, like items returned for repair (i.e., not for purchase). The miscellaneous fees are of course for their own pockets. I don't know if FedEx does the same thing since they tend to charge the shipper for the fees up front, but it wouldn't surprise me. When it comes down to it, it's OK to have to pay the fees, it is not OK to be surprised by them later on with no recourse.

johnpd
sage

#5583449 - 12/22/12 12:32 AM

Hi Jack,

I found in the Synscan Firmware Update manual that the plug is 2.1, so the controller manual had the wrong value. I wanted to use my desktop to update the firmware. It would be difficult to get the mount close enough to the desktop to do this but I can use a laptop.

JohnD

johnpd
sage

#5583568 - 12/22/12 03:43 AM

1. Successfully updated the firmware.

2. Tested the GPS module and that worked.

3. Mounted my C-8 on it and tried a test inside (cloudy in Southern AZ tonight) using EQ Mode.

4. GOD WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MOUNT.

a. The slew is smooth and quiet.

b. I had thought that you had to manually go to the first alignment star, but it took off automatically when I selected the first alignment star using the two-star alignment mode.

c. The GoTos were positioned approximately as expected for being inside.

d. I connected my Orion StarSeek WiFi module to the mount and powered up my iPad 3. Was able to slew to objects very nicely. The only issue I found was that the "Left" arrow did not respond. All the others did. I will leave a post on the Southern Stars Yahoo Group to see if they have heard of that issue. (NOTE: This problem has been reported by someone else in the Southern Stars Forum.)

e. The manual mentions when mounting the scope you should have the saddle horizontal (locking knobs up). I find that a difficult position. I would rather have the saddle vertical and slide the scope on from the top.

f. When I parked the mount, powered it down, and then powered it up again, it did not ask to go through the alignment process. It apparently uses your last alignment.

Hopefully I can try outside tomorrow.

JohnD

Edited by johnpd (12/22/12 04:11 AM)

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5583639 - 12/22/12 07:03 AM

John,

I will have to look at that. I noticed that some views show the dowel in line with one leg and other pictures show it between two of them. It makes sense to have it in line with one leg - especially when in EQ mode.

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5583641 - 12/22/12 07:05 AM

Understood. I used my laptop to do the updae so I used mount power instead of plugging power to the SynScan

Jack

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5583644 - 12/22/12 07:09 AM

Ed,

I knew there would be a Customs fee. I just did not know how it would be collected. I was just surprised at how much UPS charges to collect the fee. In my case the "handling charges" amount to 42% of the customs fee - not bad for pushing a few buttons to render a bill.

Jack

desanctb

#5584173 - 12/22/12 02:10 PM

I'm in Canada and as far as I know because of the free trade agreement between our two country's there is no duty on astronomy equipment. When I order from the US (which I do alot) I make sure the vendor marks the customs forms appropriately as astronomical/scientific equipment. You should contact UPS and have them refund any fees because of this. As well, I avoid using UPS at all cost because I always get ripped one way or the other with them. I was also told one can use a company name rather than a personal name and UPS would have to contact you regarding fees and ask you who your import broker is. This way, you can go yourself and fill out the necessary paperwork and avoid paying UPS to do so. I've had so many bad experiences with UPS that I always ask the vendor to use USPS or another service when available.
Burt
Rasc

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5584491 - 12/22/12 06:33 PM

The customs form was marked indicating tht the item was an astronomical mount and it was shipped to my company name. I will have to get back with UPS. The problem using the postal service is the insurance limit. Canada Post has an insurance limit to the US of $1000 and if the parcel was lost, I would be out the difference.

Jack

johnpd
sage

#5584566 - 12/22/12 07:24 PM

An amendment to item 4b in my list above:

"b. I had thought that you had to manually go to the first alignment star, but it took off automatically when I selected the first alignment star using the two-star alignment mode."

If you are in EQ mode, the mount will automatically slew to the first alignment star. If you are in ALT-Az mode, you do need to move the mount manually to the first alignment star. From then on slews are automatic.

JohnD

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5586668 - 12/24/12 05:32 AM

I received and installed the TPI spreadere and tray on Friday. They are beautifully machined and add greatly to the stability of the tripod while keeping it light. Here is a photo of the empty tray:

Jack

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5586670 - 12/24/12 05:35 AM

And here is a photo with the tray loaded with stuff:

Jack

desanctb

#5586983 - 12/24/12 10:55 AM

Jack... Do you still need to use the original eyepiece tray along with the TPI?
Burt

Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
      #5587096 - 12/24/12 11:52 AM

Quote:

Burt

I would think yes. The ep tray pushes the tripod legs outwards while the TPI assembly pulls the lower part of the tripod inwards. This will stiffen up the tripod considerably. A similar DIY solution could be done with turnbuckles but the TPI tray is pretty useful. Adding weight on the tray increases the mass lower down.

EFT

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: Pat at home]
      #5587172 - 12/24/12 12:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Burt

I would think yes. The ep tray pushes the tripod legs outwards while the TPI assembly pulls the lower part of the tripod inwards. This will stiffen up the tripod considerably. A similar DIY solution could be done with turnbuckles but the TPI tray is pretty useful. Adding weight on the tray increases the mass lower down.

You actually don't need the upper spreader at all. The thing is nearly useless in the first place and it's only use after adding the TPI spreader is to hold eyepieces. By not using the upper spreader, you no longer have to carry that thing around and install and remove it every time you set up or take down the tripod. That's one of my favorite things about adding the lower spreader.

10gauge
sage

#5587282 - 12/24/12 01:57 PM

The AZ EQ6 would be amazing on a G11 HD tripod. Since Optical Supports is not taking any orders, at this time, is there another way to get a EQ6-G11 plate adapter? Does the TPI spreader approach the CGE tripod in terms of stability?

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5588480 - 12/25/12 01:29 PM

Probably not, but I lightly tightened it against the legs. The tripod with the TPI spreader and tray is amazingly light but strong and vibration free.

Jack Huerkamp

desanctb

#5592363 - 12/28/12 09:53 AM

I have put my C11hd on it with no issues. Seems to handle the weight, (36lbs) with no strain on the motors. I did however have to use an extra weight to properly balance the OTA.
Burt

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5592517 - 12/28/12 11:29 AM

Quote:

I have put my C11hd on it with no issues. Seems to handle the weight, (36lbs) with no strain on the motors. I did however have to use an extra weight to properly balance the OTA.
Burt

An extra 11 pound weight? I haven't found any for this mount specifically. Did you have something lying around that worked okay? Did you try it outside? How's the damping?

desanctb

#5592543 - 12/28/12 11:48 AM

I have not found an extra weight but was able to use the adapter for the dual scope setup on the end of the counterweight shaft as an extra weight. I have not yet had the chance to use the scope outside so cannot comment on damping.
Burt

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5592753 - 12/28/12 02:08 PM

Quote:

I have not found an extra weight but was able to use the adapter for the dual scope setup on the end of the counterweight shaft as an extra weight.

Clever! And that was sufficient, which is a terrific little trick.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5592871 - 12/28/12 03:31 PM

I just ordered an extra 11# weight from Orion. I know its black and the AZ-EQ6 is white. But my C11 is black as is my c9.25. So I will have counterweights of alternating color - white,black,white.

BTW, Orion is having an accessory sale. I ordered a StarShoot Autoguider for $42 off list and the couterweight was $4 off - both with free shipping.

Jack

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5592899 - 12/28/12 03:55 PM

Quote:

I just ordered an extra 11# weight from Orion.

Be careful. The EQ6 is listed as having an 18mm counterweight shaft and the AZ version is listed as having a 25mm counterweight shaft. I'm not sure the specs are right, but if they are, I wouldn't expect the weights to be compatible.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5593019 - 12/28/12 05:45 PM

OOPS!

I just checked the shaft on my AZ-EQ6 and it is 25mm. If the weight I ordered is 18mm, I will have to bore it out at my neighbor's shop to fit the 25mm shaft.

Jack

Shiggy
journeyman

Reged: 11/23/10

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
      #5593760 - 12/29/12 03:16 AM

The EQ6 counterweights sometimes have a metal collar inside the hole to make them fit the smaller diameter shaft. I bought one and removed the collar by banging it out so I could use the counterweight on a vixen mount that took a wider shaft.
You may be able to do the same with the new AZ EQ6 to use old EQ6 counterweights (for weights with the collar rather than actual smaller diameter shaft hole).

Shaun

desanctb

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: Shiggy]
      #5595448 - 12/30/12 01:23 AM

Will anyone that tries Shaun's solution with the old eq6 weights let us know if it indeed works on the 25mm azeq6 shaft? I'm sure there's several of us that could use extra weights. Thanks!
Burt

rmollise
Postmaster

#5595922 - 12/30/12 11:15 AM

Quote:

Will anyone that tries Shaun's solution with the old eq6 weights let us know if it indeed works on the 25mm azeq6 shaft? I'm sure there's several of us that could use extra weights. Thanks!
Burt

Removing the insert makes the diameter larger, but not large enough. It's easy enough to get weights from Losmandy with this size hole, though.

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

#5596127 - 12/30/12 12:59 PM

It works for the celestron cg5 and and for the cgem ( i use SW weights for my cg5 and i removed the ring) but i'm afraid that the Gain in diameter is no more than 2-3mm just as uncle Rod said.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#5610546 - 01/07/13 04:37 PM

In which country are these mounts produced?

Is Sky Watcher a UK based company?

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: HowardK]
      #5610625 - 01/07/13 05:47 PM

Quote:

In which country are these mounts produced?

Is Sky Watcher a UK based company?

"SkyWatcher" and "Celestron" don't make anything. They are brand names of Synta (China)...

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#5610639 - 01/07/13 06:01 PM

Right

Ty, Rod

How o u like the look of this mount?

rmollise
Postmaster

#5611452 - 01/08/13 07:43 AM

I like the way it looks--a lot. Wish they'd brought it in for a little less money is all.

TMSP

#5623225 - 01/14/13 06:54 PM

Well I have held off (I went for the TeleVue) on the self-gifting of this mount and will probably wait a bit and bring one in from Canada.

I have heard generally good reviews, but "first look" stuff. Of course a few comments on lack of perfect alignment out of box, but may be a getting to know you issue. I guess I will assume those that have report continue to experience good results, but it would be great to hear any:

Any New Reports

Thanks for any comments. I usually buy new equipment to fast, I am trying to be more considered, while I work on the rest of the kit.

By the way, the 22mm Nagler showed M42 like I had never seen at our clubs "dark" site. We did have really great seeing. But, amazing!

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5623947 - 01/15/13 07:59 AM

If the skies ever clear here in Louisiana, I will be giving mine a try on real versus virtual stars from my living room.

More to follow.

Jack Huerkamp

opticsguy
sage

Reged: 02/02/09

Loc: Washington State
      #5624130 - 01/15/13 10:25 AM

I live in USA and only one hour from Vancouver Canada. What steps would i need to take to bring one of these mounts home? I could have it shipped to Vancouver.

opticsguy
sage

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: opticsguy]
      #5624140 - 01/15/13 10:32 AM

Also, Orion advertises a 44 pound weight capacity but the finer print shows this as equally loaded with two scopes in alt/az mode. Not one scope, a little misleading in my opinion.

opticsguy
sage

#5624161 - 01/15/13 10:44 AM

My only wish is a 45 pound capacity rating on one side for EQ or AZ. I have a 12" F/4 scope at 40 pounds plus rings and finder and eyepiece, a bit overload for this mounting. Maybe i could bandsaw the scope in half, install at each end . . .

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

#5624177 - 01/15/13 10:56 AM

Quote:

My only wish is a 45 pound capacity rating on one side for EQ or AZ. I have a 12" F/4 scope at 40 pounds plus rings and finder and eyepiece, a bit overload for this mounting. Maybe i could bandsaw the scope in half, install at each end . . .

An innovative solution. I think you should patent that idea.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#5624309 - 01/15/13 12:29 PM

Quote:

Also, Orion advertises a 44 pound weight capacity but the finer print shows this as equally loaded with two scopes in alt/az mode. Not one scope, a little misleading in my opinion.

I do not believe that is correct.
I thought it was 44lbs main scope in alt az and 2 counterweights equaling 22lbs or a secondary scope of similar weight to balance.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5627135 - 01/16/13 10:18 PM

Well, I saw Jack's mount in person this evening. Looks like a well thought out piece of hardware. And it retains that marvelous Atlas hum. You can barely here it operate. I think this one is going to be a winner. If there was one thing I'd change, it would be the saddle. It's set up for a Losmandy D style dovetail, but it's fairly small. I would make it longer, like the Losmandy G11's saddle.

It looks like we may get a field test report from Jack. After this consarned (thanks, Rod ) stretch of cloudy/rainy weather, it looks like we may be in for about a week's worth of clear skies.

David

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5627599 - 01/17/13 08:30 AM

They advertise a 20Kg load for visual and a17Kg load for imaging while in EQ mode and there is a gentleman in Austria using an 18Kg 10" f/5 Newtonian in EQ mode with great success. It would be interesting to see if the mount could handle a 12" f/4. The moment arm would be similar although the weight would be slightly higher.

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: AZ EQ6 in the US? new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5627607 - 01/17/13 08:33 AM

Davis,

Hopefully I will be able to get the mount out this weekend. I have a contractor coming in to help with the observatory and other tasks around the house, but if time permits, I will do so.

Jack

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#5628556 - 01/17/13 05:51 PM

Jack

Just received my az eq6

Looks great...very well engineered, great sounding motors, very cool

Looks much more capable than my MT Pro

Let us know how you go

Howard

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#5629437 - 01/18/13 07:42 AM

Hi

I have been using sky safari with sky fi perfectly with my CGE PRO mount.

I now have a SKY WATCHER AZ EQ6 and using the same cable from sky fi to the synscan hand controller as i use with the CGE PRO i cannot connect to the mount.

Do i need a specific cable for the SKY WATCHER....or should the Celestron one work?

Thanking you

Howard
Spain

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5629476 - 01/18/13 08:35 AM

Howard,

You need the Atlas/SynScan cable for the SkyFi unit. The Celestron cable is not the same.

Also, the mount comes with a cable used for updating the firmware. I did not try it to see if it will work with the SKyFi.

Jack Huerkamp

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#5630479 - 01/18/13 07:38 PM

Jack

i have it working now by using the serial cable from sky fi and the serial adapter that came with the az eq6 for firmware updates...but this is clumsy...

do you know of one cable that connects sky fi with synscan..?

carbon12 makes one for the cge pro but not it appears yet for synscan

Howard

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5632392 - 01/19/13 10:54 PM

Howard,

Here is a picture of the SkyFi Cable connected to the hand controller on my AZ-EQ6:

Jack

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#5634445 - 01/21/13 07:54 AM

thanks Jack

carbon12 are looking in to supplying 1 cable to tidy this up

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17807

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics