Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
Single frame and stacked comparison requested
      #5490421 - 10/26/12 03:21 PM

I have to say that there are some incredible pics of Jupiter on here lately.
I was wondering if people could post some of their stacked, processed pics, along with a representative single pic from the stack. Sort of a before and after to give me a bit better idea of what to accept for a sub frame.

Thanks in advance!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zAmbonii
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/19/08

Loc: Ypsilanti, MI
Re: Single frame and stacked comparison requested new [Re: PGW Steve]
      #5490581 - 10/26/12 05:21 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Here ya go.

This was from the end of last month...I haven't been out since because of bad weather . I have a C8, and I was imaging with a 3x barlow and my SPC900NC webcam (at f/30).
Seeing was pretty good at the time, at least 4/5.

I ran an .avi through autostakkert2 and at the top left is what AS2! said the best frame was. On the top right is a stack of 1000 frames (out of 3500). Bottom left is with wavelets from Registax6 + an RGB align. Bottom right is with additional deconvolution + an autocolor correction.

kowspot2000
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/23/11

Loc: Corvallis, OR
Re: Single frame and stacked comparison requested new [Re: zAmbonii]
      #5490610 - 10/26/12 05:37 PM

What did you do (what software/method) did you take to deconvolute the image? The step from wavelets to deconv is amazing!

zAmbonii
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Single frame and stacked comparison requested new [Re: kowspot2000]
      #5490678 - 10/26/12 06:30 PM

Quote:

What did you do (what software/method) did you take to deconvolute the image? The step from wavelets to deconv is amazing!

I use the Astra Image Photoshop plugin.

For my images (probably because I am using a one shot color) webcam, there is a limit to how hard you can go with wavelet sharpening in registax. Just hard to get the fine details with wavelets. I tend to do a softer sharpening with registax and then the deconvolution steps help bring out the finer details. It does bring out some noise, but I can put up with some extra noise if I can get some finer details.

Great Attractor

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Poland
      #5490753 - 10/26/12 07:28 PM

Quote:

I was wondering if people could post some of their stacked, processed pics, along with a representative single pic from the stack.

I'd say that if seeing is below excellent, a fragment of actual raw video is a better demonstration than any single frame. With just that in mind I have uploaded a few of mine, here's the latest (and the best so far) Jupiter:

http://vimeo.com/52038388

Stacked (AviStack 2, wavelets and histogram in Registax 6):

cheapersleeper
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
Re: Single frame and stacked comparison requested new [Re: Great Attractor]
      #5490791 - 10/26/12 08:00 PM

zAmbonii you are driving me nuts!! What an amazing sequence from start to finish. I would let you borrow my cat in trade for you making a thread detailing your processing.

Regards,
Brad

PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
Re: Single frame and stacked comparison requested new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5490851 - 10/26/12 08:43 PM

Thank you guys so much, the pics, and especially the video shows me what raw data looks like, scary indeed! The skill is in the processing, most obviously. I won't be discouraged with my blurry videos, I will soldier on with learning how to massage them into something presentable.

zAmbonii
Carpal Tunnel

#5490886 - 10/26/12 09:16 PM

Never get discouraged.

The most important part of imaging (to me at least) is the seeing. You can't control that -- unless you have a good seeing machine and I am sure that you would be able to make a fortune! Everything else is secondary. A good scope and a good camera can make the best out of the seeing, but if you have poor seeing your images are going to be subpar.

It took me a long time, and a lot of imaging sessions to realize that. But once you have a night of good seeing you quickly realize that the subpar results didn't have anything to do with what you did right or wrong, you just weren't going to get a good image because of the conditions.

Brad: My workflow isn't really anything special....and can be replicated by anyone with the same tools . I have figured out some settings that work good and I usually use similar settings for each imaging session. I think I will start another thread to show what I did. I'll also have an .avi download so ppl can try themselves, and have some screenshots showing my settings in AS2!, R6, and Photoshop to show how I got the image I did.

cheapersleeper
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
Re: Single frame and stacked comparison requested new [Re: zAmbonii]
      #5491034 - 10/26/12 11:28 PM

Quote:

Brad: My workflow isn't really anything special....and can be replicated by anyone with the same tools . I have figured out some settings that work good and I usually use similar settings for each imaging session. I think I will start another thread to show what I did. I'll also have an .avi download so ppl can try themselves, and have some screenshots showing my settings in AS2!, R6, and Photoshop to show how I got the image I did.

Indeed, I do also start with Autostakkert2 and then Registax6. I am trying to avoid spending money on Photoshop and have tried GIMP but noticed that it was converting my images to 8 bit.

What FPS are you using on the Phillips webcam? I read that there is data compression and artifacts at the higher fps so I dropped down to using 5 and 10fps but I think my faster fps avi. files look better. Kind of confusing.

Brad

Edited by cheapersleeper (10/26/12 11:29 PM)

Great Attractor

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Poland
Re: Single frame and stacked comparison requested new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5491253 - 10/27/12 07:28 AM

Please excuse the off-top; cheapersleeper, GIMP is going to support 16-bit images in an official build soon, but for now you can try the free and multiplatform RawTherapee (histogram, curves, levels, denoising, sharpening, color opers etc.).

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 628

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics