Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Nick Rose

Reged: 11/01/10

Loc: San Mateo, CA
Pier for Vixen Polaris & LX200 new
      #5486002 - 10/23/12 08:35 PM

I got into contact with a contractor at my local airport (San Francisco International Airport)and they have some scrap metal from some demolition there doing at the airport. She sent me 2 pictures of the pipe that is scrap. It is the main line of the sprinkler system.

Would this be a good size pipe for my Vixen Super Polaris with the 6" Reflector and later a LX200 12" or 14"? I'll have them cut me a 5' section but I will probably later on maybe have the final height at 3'.

DSCF6028 by Nick R2006, on Flickr

DSCF6030 by Nick R2006, on Flickr

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Pier for Vixen Polaris & LX200 new [Re: Nick Rose]
      #5486765 - 10/24/12 10:40 AM

Yep, you're there as long as the rust isn't too bad (hard to tell from photo). All you need is a welder to attach some robust end fittings.

-Rich

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Pier for Vixen Polaris & LX200 new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5487201 - 10/24/12 03:41 PM

That wold hold more than the two mounts mentioned. Clean it up with some steel wool than a coat of Rustoleum. Looks like the pipe is about 10 feet long, so bury 4 or 5 feet and leave the tube HOLLOW above ground.

BTW, If I were you I'd look on Ebay for a 2-3 inch thick by 9 inch round that would become your top plate. Have a machinist trim the round for a slip fit, and drill and tap the pipe for 6 grub screws. That way, if you ever went with another mount all you'd have to do is drill mounting holes in the plug.

Edited by Tom and Beth (10/24/12 03:43 PM)

Nick Rose

Re: Pier for Vixen Polaris & LX200 new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #5487328 - 10/24/12 04:56 PM

I think the tube is more then 10' but they do have one that is closer to 9'. Its a few hundred pounds so I need to see if any of my friends can go to the airport to lift the beast.

Nick Rose

Re: Pier for Vixen Polaris & LX200 new [Re: Nick Rose]
      #5487876 - 10/24/12 11:52 PM

I lucked-out with the pipe. They are giving it to me for free. So all I to do is to pick it up and then later on have one of my friends cut it to length and weld the top and bottom plates on.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Pier for Vixen Polaris & LX200 [Re: Nick Rose]
      #5490590 - 10/26/12 05:27 PM

Probably better steel than you'll find today. A lot of pipe is now imported. By the time they'd hauled it to the scrap yard for $0.10 - 0.15 a pound they'd be losing money. The kindness is ignoring any possible liability in giving it to you. Their insurer won't be happy=8(

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 735

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics