Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Astro-Tech 60mm f/7 ED triplet, (w/ Pics now!!!).
      #5491022 - 10/26/12 11:14 PM

Well, it's here. It arrived in good shape. I'll have some pictures tomorrow assuming we don't get rain. I like the new R&P focuser. It's a bit stiffer than the 2" Crayford on other Astro-Tech scopes, but nice and smooth. I'll play around with tensioning on it tomorrow.

A couple of other points: While the scope is white and gunmetal gray in typical Astro-Tech colors, the paint textures are NOT consistent with those used on the other Astro-Tech scopes. Instead they (both the white and gray) are a semi-pebbled finish rather than glossy. I like it, but for folks that want to mount this little guy as a finder/guider on their AT130EDT, AT111EDT, AT106EDT, etc., may be bummed that the finishes aren't matched. C'est la vie.

It is a dense, heavy little blighter, too. Like a tiny brick. First light is doubtful this weekend, due to rain and clouds in the forecast, but I may get a chance to mount it up for some pictures.

I think it will be a great fit (better than the AT72ED) on a Celestron Nextsr SE alt-az by virtue of its shorter OTA. I'll run it against a 60mm f/16.7 Carton achromat when I first light the scope. Compared to the meter-long Carton, though, it's a very portable scope.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (10/27/12 04:38 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
Re: Astro-Tech 60mm f/7 ED triplet, first report. new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5491050 - 10/26/12 11:42 PM

Congrats on the new scope. I look forward to your first light report. I'm thinking about buying one of these scopes or maybe the TS50ED.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Astro-Tech 60mm f/7 ED triplet, first report. new [Re: zjc26138]
      #5491076 - 10/27/12 12:14 AM

Thanks Zack.

Have you thought about the AT72ED? For the dough, it's a really nice scope. A little bigger than the 60mm triplet or 50mm ED doublets, but not too big, really.

Just another option to think about...

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can. Perhaps I can also set up the AT72ED for comparison. My AT72ED is pink (yeah, a long story), but for size comparison it may be helpful.

Regards,

Jim

plyscope
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Perth, West Australia
      #5491125 - 10/27/12 01:12 AM

Thanks for your report Jim, I am curious about this little triplet though I am really more than satisfied with my TV60.

An Australian vendor is offering a similar scope but with a 1.25" crayford.

Long Pern 60mm triplet

Looking forward to hearing more about this one.

zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
      #5491388 - 10/27/12 09:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks Zack.

Have you thought about the AT72ED? For the dough, it's a really nice scope. A little bigger than the 60mm triplet or 50mm ED doublets, but not too big, really.

Just another option to think about...

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can. Perhaps I can also set up the AT72ED for comparison. My AT72ED is pink (yeah, a long story), but for size comparison it may be helpful.

Regards,

Jim

Jim,
I have given the At72 some thought as well. A side by side comparison between it and the AT60 would be great whenever you get time and clear skies.

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
Re: Astro-Tech 60mm f/7 ED triplet, first report. new [Re: plyscope]
      #5491390 - 10/27/12 09:41 AM

Looking forward to your first light experience.

regards
Chris

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5491515 - 10/27/12 11:00 AM

I sold my little Tak FS-60 a couple years ago and often thought about replacing it - but I just don't have a spare thousand sitting around for a "super finder".

I look forward to your report.

Thanks,

Ron

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #5491561 - 10/27/12 11:32 AM

Quote:

I'll run it against a 60mm f/16.7 Carton achromat when I first light the scope.

Eric Gage
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/13/05

Re: Astro-Tech 60mm f/7 ED triplet, first report. new [Re: hottr6]
      #5491731 - 10/27/12 01:39 PM

I don't even see this scope on the Astronomics website. Am I missing something?

Jim7728
Postmaster

Reged: 04/10/05

Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC
Re: Astro-Tech 60mm f/7 ED triplet, first report. new [Re: Eric Gage]
      #5491765 - 10/27/12 02:10 PM

It's definitely there.

---> https://www.astronomics.com/at60edt-60mm-f7-ed-triplet-apo-refractor-white-and-gray-tube_p20001.aspx

I almost want one.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Astro-Tech 60mm f/7 ED triplet, first report. new [Re: Jim7728]
      #5491796 - 10/27/12 02:36 PM

Miracle of miracles. The Sun is out. I'll head out and set her up in a few, and snap some pics. I'll also take a few of the AT72ED (my size reference scope; everyone has one and can figure out how much larger or smaller a new scope is when paired with an AT72ED ). I typically don't name my scopes, but my AT72ED has a name. It's the "Faerie Queene". Before anyone gets all uptight, it's a name taken from the original mainframe Star Trek game. When the Klingons blew up your Enterprise, you got a second chance. Your replacement ship was the Faerie Queene. It's named after an unfinished epic poem by Sir Edmund Spenser. No kidding.

My poor Faerie Queene has had a rough life, though. When we moved into the new house she was left outside in her case inadvertently and got rained on and very wet. I dried her out as best I could, and she looked spry. In fact I was going to sell her to another CNer, but when I took her out for my own pre-sale inspection, I noted a few spots betwixt the lenses. I screwed my courage to the sticking place and opened her up, cleaned all sides of the elements with Pursol, and put he back together. She's better than new. The proto-fungus is no longer among us. (Actually true that she is much improved; an unintended side effect of her surgery was to improve the image quality; perhaps an accidental but more optimal reorientation of the two elements relative to one another? Dunnom but I'll take it.)

In any case, I'll get some pictures up soon of the new AT triplet and the Faerie Queene (I did mention that the FQ is pink, right?).

- Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (10/27/12 06:25 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5491851 - 10/27/12 03:40 PM

Here are a few pictures. I spotted a bit more fungal residue on the AT72ED, so I may take it apart and clean it again - a bit more aggressively this time.

The two cases; note the 60mm EDT case does not say "Astro-Tech" on it.

When viewed in their respective cases the two scopes aren't as different in size as you might expect:

More in a few...

- J

Edited by jrbarnett (10/27/12 06:22 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5491861 - 10/27/12 03:43 PM

The new R&P locking focuser:

The bidness end. Note that it, like the AT72ED but unlike the AT111EDT, cam with a little bit of dust between elements.

Regards,

Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5491872 - 10/27/12 03:58 PM

The AT60EDT has a single thin baffle near the objective end and a highly textured flat black interior the rest of the way down rather than multiple baffles like the AT72ED.

Regards,

Jim

iceblaze
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/15/11

Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, ...
      #5491923 - 10/27/12 04:55 PM

Very cool little scope Jim! Shootout between it and your Carton?

-James

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Astro-Tech 60mm f/7 ED triplet, first report. new [Re: iceblaze]
      #5491985 - 10/27/12 05:38 PM

Jup.

I have 'em both set up and ready to rumble. Luna and some doubles on the menu for this evening. No holds barred up to 140x. Carton on the Teegul and AT60EDT on the Nexstar SE. I'll be working with the Televue Plossls and Nagler Zoom (3-6mm), and a Barlow or two.

I'll go get some pics. After all, a pic is worth at least 1000 words.

- Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5492005 - 10/27/12 05:52 PM

- Jim

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
      #5492012 - 10/27/12 05:59 PM

Jim, what made you choose the 60mm triplet over the 65mm quad for the same money? I love my 72ED, but had my eye on the quad ever since they finally restocked them.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Astro-Tech 60mm f/7 ED triplet, first report. new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5492038 - 10/27/12 06:20 PM

The quad is "icky" for visual use.

More in this thread on the reason to pick one over the other:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5477603/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

"For visual observing, the 65EDQ is fine at low powers, using a 1.25" diagonal. As mentioned elsewhere, a 2" diagonal does not work with all eyepieces (can't come to infinity focus with some eyepieces). One strike against the 65EDQ as a visual scope. For high magnifications, the field flattener lens in the focuser can prevent a Barlow from being inserted into the scope in front of the diagonal (some Barlows may be long enough to hit the field flattener). Another strike against the EDQ visually.

As a travel scope, a wash, except that the 60EDT comes with a fitted lockable hard case for traveling standard. The 65EDQ does not come with a case. Strike two and a half.

As an astrograph, the EDQ has a built-in flattener, the 60EDT does not. Take away a strike from the EDQ.

As a spotting scope, another wash. If all you want is a spotting scope, however, there are dedicated 60mm and 65mm spotting scopes with zoom eyepieces and built-in image erectors -- both of which would have to be bought with the 60EDT and 65EDQ to equal the terrestrial functionality of a pure spotting scope. Dedicated spotting scopes also tend to be at least water resistant and armored for rough daytime use. Neither the 60EDT or the 65EDQ are weather resistant or armored, so spotting scope use is possible if you don't traipse through woods a lot with your scope on a tripod over your shoulder getting slapped by tree branches and it doesn't rain while you're out. Spotting scope use would not be high on my list of uses for either, although I really like the terrestrial views with both.

As a nature photography scope, another wash, although I get the feeling from handling both that I would be able to fight off a grizzly with the 60EDT, whereas the 65EDQ would slow him down but not stop him. Also, with 90mm of focuser travel for the 60EDT, compared to 62mm with the 65EDQ, I believe that the 60EDT will focus closer than the 65EDQ (although I haven't measured the close focus of either, so take my comment with a grain or two of salt), which would incline me a little more towards the 60EDT as a nature scope. Maybe a quarter of a strike against the 65EDQ as a nature scope.

Total is one and three-quarter strikes against the 65EDQ astrograph as an all-purpose scopoe compared with the 60EDT. Not quite a strikeout, but leaning me towards the 60EDT if I wanted a small scope to do everything, and towards the 65EDQ if I primarily wanted a really good wide field astrograph."

Don Taylor
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
      #5492048 - 10/27/12 06:31 PM

That focuser appears to be the same as the one on my new (just received) Astro Telescopes AT102F11 achromat. It seems to work very, very well.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4337

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics