Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
JeffBosworth

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: CGE Pro new [Re: LouHalikman]
      #5503658 - 11/04/12 09:51 AM

Thanks, Lou. But what is the "switch"? Something to do with the encoders?

The manual says to align the electronics pier so that the RA and DEC cable plugs are on the east side. I have the tripod set up so that the leg under the bubble level is pointing north. Once the OTA is on it it should be pretty close to polar aligned. I'm sure I'll have to fine tune it. The latitude (alt) pointer seems to be a bit ambiguous. There isn't a fine point but rather a rounded edge. Once aligned, who cares what it actually points to, I guess.

Jeff

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: CGE Pro new [Re: JeffBosworth]
      #5503805 - 11/04/12 11:47 AM

Jeff,

There are micro switches on both the RA and DEC axis. The switches are tripped by physical indentations on the shafts. They provide a solid reproducible starting point for the mount. The CGEM on the other hand uses soft index marks (only markings on the outside of the mount), if you used those marks great but you didn't have to (the mount never "knew" where the marks are ... it just assumed that you were starting using them).

With the Celestron firmware you can setup an arbitrary home position for the mount. That can be any appropriate position or it can also be the same as the switch's home position.

One of the benefits of the physical switches is in remote operations ... when the mount it powered off and then powered back up it will always know where it is ... and this isn't the case with the other mounts that have the soft marks, they can be powered off in any position and the mount won't know that when it's powered back up.

Phil Wheeler
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/05

Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron
      #5504476 - 11/04/12 08:04 PM

Quote:

The mount arrived Friday afternoon. Two huge (and heavy!) boxes and one little heavy one with the counterweight. The longest box had the massive tripod. I could carry that from the UPS truck to my front porch but the driver had to help with the mount box - it was 107lbs.

Sounds good, Jeff, except the flu part. No observatory here in metro Los Angeles. Serious viewing means a long drive to mountains and deserts. Your new CGE Pro sounds like a move it once and leave it there proposition. Good you were able to get such a nice discount on it

Phil Wheeler
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/05

Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron
      #5504489 - 11/04/12 08:13 PM

Quote:

This mount is coming straight from Celestron in Torrance, CA so I'm assuming they've checked it over.

Jeff, that means it may have shipped from 3 miles ESE of my location -- also in Torrance. I've had very good luck with Celestron. My new ASGT arrived from Oceanside (OPT) 50-60 miles away. I'm struck by how well finished it is for the price ($630 or so plus tax). My Alt-Az mount (NexStar 8SE) does not seem quite as clean. My earlier scope (NS8GPS -- given to a local astronomer who could handle the size but not the price) also seemed well made. The ASGT (fired up indoor a couple of days ago after receiving the NexStar+ HC from OPT) seems to run properly and more quietly than I expected (payload now is WO ZenithStar 80 FD, my smallest scope).

JeffBosworth

Re: CGE Pro new [Re: Phil Wheeler]
      #5505001 - 11/05/12 07:10 AM

Thanks, everyone for the advice and tips. Now the switch concept makes sense. That must be the little clicking noise I hear when I loosen the clutches and rotate the axes.

I got the SkyWatcher on the mount late yesterday but still didn't feel well enough to play with it. I did get some photos that I'll post on Facebook.

Jeff

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5505741 - 11/05/12 05:41 PM

Switch clicking. yes.. Normal when rotating axis..

The electronics pier can be put any which way you want as long as the bolt holes line up... It doesn't matter It's a cylinder... Ideally you would want the RA and DEC cables on the east side unless you want cable wrap... Sigh...

Observatory here in metro Los Angeles. If Phil is 3miles ESE of Celestron, Phil must be very close to me.. I'm 8miles ESE..

The mount head, you want the CW pointed north..

JeffBosworth

Re: CGE Pro new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5506012 - 11/05/12 09:30 PM

Yeah, the pier will go any way you want, but the cable jacks should be on the easterly side or they'll get wrapped up badly. They could have made them a tad longer. I also wish they had included an AC adapter. For a mount in this price range a $60 adapter should have been included. Instead they give you a cigarette lighter power cord that is extremely long. There is no way I'm going to be plugging this mount into a cigarette lighter. That worthless (to me) "accessory" will sit in a box for years until I throw it out.

The counterweight is pointed north - when the scope is rotated up. This is the "home" position so that the roof can roll back without hitting the scope. Almost closed the roof with the scope rotated up once. Talk about panic...

Jeff

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3242

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics