Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
TheResisting

Reged: 10/11/12

VISIT TheResisting & The UK’s First Dark Sky Park
      #5492935 - 10/28/12 11:01 AM

Being a Broadminded and educated Scientist in many spheres and a natural at rebuking Bigotry, - I found myself attending a meet at the local Kingdom Hall this morning, where I learned, or was rather reminded, that I live in the confines of Britain's First Dark Sky Park.
So, I'll start taking orders for camping in my back garden for next Summer ...

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/darkskygalloway#viewstars

'Forestry Commission Scotland has established part of Galloway Forest Park as the first Dark Sky Park in the UK. Announced on 16th November 2009 in the International Year of Astronomy, it is a massive achievement for the UK and the south West of Scotland
.'

Actually, you won't have to travel tens of miles to the most publicised Dark-Skies Viewing Spots, as just 50m from my front door one enters the long swath of forest that leads all the way out, via public and cycling pathways to the Irish_Sea coast, uninterupted I believe by some routes, that's about 60 Miles non-stop.

If one walks about 1 mile out of my door there is what must be a pretty ideal star-gazing spot, at a couple hundred feet (or more) altitude, well clear of any unnatural lights.
Moreover the spot is replete with a park-bench!!

So, I'll update later on. I have a 40m long garden, well shielded from prying eyes by a 20' pine hedge, quite suitable for basic 'self-sufficient' camping and of course the house will be open for all ameneties.

Well, if you think it sounds like a workable idea, any +/ve feedback will encourage me to look further into this. Of course there is also a Scots tourist board registered Bed & Breakfast facility hosted in a fine Cottage just 50m in the other direction.

It's a win-win situation, for the adventurous amateur astronomer, even if you can't understand me!

(I'll post a couple pictures of the area once I figure how to put images into here) - ¿help?

Graeme.

Edited by TheResisting (10/29/12 03:55 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, nitegeezer, PatHolland 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 538

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics