Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - any probs? new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5493343 - 10/28/12 04:40 PM

I generally agree with you there Neil. The reason I upgraded was because I got in for the $14.99 upgrade deal and am not really out anything. So I can definitely recommend it for those who just bought new computers and qualify for the $14.99 upgrade. I also like Win 8's integration a lot more, especially wrt the capability to integrate my Live/Hotmail and my Google account within the apps. I'm curious to see what MS does on the phone and tablet platforms, and if their phone will equal my Galaxy Skyrocket; although it appears there's no movement in the SkySafari camp to port to WinRT.

As a former network admin, I do tend to agree with the sentiment to skip every other version, but that's usually due to cost more than capability. Vista gets a bad rap and is actually a lot better an OS than most complain about. For me Win 7 basically fixed the few things wrong with Vista while building on its strengths. Nothing has equaled the mess or folly of ME, and I doubt Win 8 will.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - any probs? [Re: Darren Bly]
      #5493405 - 10/28/12 05:24 PM

Quote:

I'm worked in IT for over 30 years and one of my rules is "Upgrade to every other Windows OS". This is the one to skip.

When my Dad bought a new laptop at Best Buy earlier this summer, it came with an upgrade to Windows 8 when it came out. It was either for a free upgrade, or it was ridiculously cheap, something like $15, I can't remember. He's trying to figure out whether he should get it or not.

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/13/04

Loc: Maryland
Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - any probs? new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5496804 - 10/30/12 08:13 PM

I'm also considering upgrading my laptop, from vista to windows 8. That $15 deal doesn't have to be installed on the windows 7 computer, so I would use it on my older imaging laptop, IF it'll run ASCOM and PHD.

Can anyone with Windows 8 try ASCOM and PHD? Vista slows the laptop down a lot, and it'd be great to get rid of it.

bassplayer142
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/03/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - any probs? new [Re: zeldaboy101]
      #5498430 - 10/31/12 08:42 PM

Vista to win 7. If you really want to try windows 8 you can dual boot it and revert back to your other os if you don't like it.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - any probs? new [Re: bassplayer142]
      #5498922 - 11/01/12 05:17 AM

For anyone interested, I enjoyed Pogue's review of Win 8:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/25/technology/personaltech...

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - any probs? new [Re: thebigeast44]
      #5499305 - 11/01/12 12:02 PM

Quote:

I'm considering upgrading my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 8. If folks could post their experiences as they move to Windows 8 particularly concerning popular astronomy apps, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any and all replies as others consider this transition as well over the next several months!

As a former Microsoftie who worked in Desktop Systems Product Support for DOS, Win3.x, Win9.x, NT, XP, Win2K, and Win2K Server, my advice is don't even bother.

I beta tested Win8. The OS runs fine, but on a conventional (non-touch screen) system the GUI sucks.

Bottom line is, if you want Win8, buy a tablet.

RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada
Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - any probs? new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #5500243 - 11/02/12 12:29 AM

Migrating to the next O/S in Windows based laptops is daring to say the least. It seems that most laptops are suited best for the O/S that came with them when initially purhcased. You're stretching your luck especially with drivers for all the hardware. Even now with the newer desktops, I see no reason to change O/S for the same reasons. Like others have said..."If you want Windows 8, by a tablet".

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - any probs? new [Re: RandallK]
      #5500459 - 11/02/12 06:43 AM

Quote:

Migrating to the next O/S in Windows based laptops is daring to say the least. It seems that most laptops are suited best for the O/S that came with them when initially purhcased. You're stretching your luck especially with drivers for all the hardware. Even now with the newer desktops, I see no reason to change O/S for the same reasons. Like others have said..."If you want Windows 8, by a tablet".

I agree. Win 7 came with my laptop. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll be skipping on this one--for now, anyway.

Darren Bly
sage

Reged: 07/24/06

Loc: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - any probs? new [Re: mark8888]
      #5500597 - 11/02/12 09:27 AM

Quote:

For anyone interested, I enjoyed Pogue's review of Win 8:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/25/technology/personaltech...

You're right VERY good review.

Hank w

Reged: 09/10/08

Loc: Loveland, Colorado
Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - any probs? new [Re: Darren Bly]
      #5501512 - 11/02/12 08:16 PM

I always keep a few hard drives for back ups, Two with windows xp and three with windows 7. I took advantage of the $39.00 upgrade to windows pro 8. I only use one at a time in the same computer. The upgrade went smoothly.
Nexremote works fine, mc update works, hcupdate does not work. The sky 6, ccdsoft and tpoint work fine. Meade ensivage 7.09 works with dsi and dsi 11. Deepsky stacker nebulosity and ph guiding work. Voyager will not allow me enter my key and simply disappears when I try to run. Stellarium works as does ascom or at least the few I tried.
Windows 8 starts fast. I added an app that puts the start buttom back on the desktop which makes getting around easier.
Hank

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - any probs? new [Re: Hank w]
      #5501570 - 11/02/12 08:55 PM

Hank, was Nexremote and Celestron Update software already installed prior to the upgrade? My problem is they won't install. And even the one instance I could get Nexremote to install using Compatibility Mode, it still won't run.

I'm not surprised about Voyager, it ran fine for me on Vista and initially under Win7, until I updated to SP1, then it died. That's when I gave up and moved to SkyTools.

Hank w

Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - any probs? new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5502445 - 11/03/12 01:52 PM

Hi Steve
I reloaded most of my programs after I upgraded. I am running
Nexremote in the xp sp3 compatibility mode. It is strange that celestron mc upgrade works fine, when I try to run HC upgrade I get an error message.
Hank

Hank w

#5502481 - 11/03/12 02:26 PM

I just deleted celestron hc upgrade with Revo uninstaller. I then re installed hc upgrade and now it works fine. I will try this voyager next.
Hank

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

#5505243 - 11/05/12 10:56 AM

Well, I just re-downloaded and installed all the Nexstar software (emulating Win7 and using Administrator on the install) and it runs fine. Not sure why the change, if it was one of the updates, the choice I used for install, replacing Windows Defender (formerly Security Essentials) with Avast, or a combination of those. But everything works just fine and all runs faster now too.

Jeff Smith
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/10

Loc: Chicago
Re: Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - any probs? new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5518199 - 11/13/12 03:59 PM

Upgraded yesterday. It took half a day but everything is running fine.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3462

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics