Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Film Astrophotography

Pages: 1
AstroMan0

Reged: 06/19/12

Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts
First Photo With Hypered Tech Pan new
      #5492936 - 10/28/12 11:01 AM Attachment (68 downloads)

Hi everyone,
I just started out with astrophotography. After some thought, I decided to try using film. At first, i tried using color film, but I couldn't get good results due to light pollution. I then decided to try hypering some Tech Pan, and using a red filter to help with the light pollution. So far, I have loaded and hypered a few short rolls, took a few short exposures, and developed them in my grandfather's darkroom. The photo below is a 5 minute exposure, and the film was developed in D-19 for 10 minutes, and printed on Ilford multigrade paper. Critiques and feedback are welcome.

Clear Skies,
Noah

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nebhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: Frostbite Falls
Re: First Photo With Hypered Tech Pan new [Re: AstroMan0]
      #5493175 - 10/28/12 02:22 PM

Noah - this is a wonderful start. Having access to a darkroom and equipment is a huge bonus. Treasure it and work on your skills. There are also books you can read or internet search for shooting with film. Covington's Astrophotography for the Amateur. Robert Reeves - Wide Field Astrophotography. Wallis & Provin A Manual of advanced celestial photography.

The Wallis & Provin book would probably be the best of the bunch as it deals with B&W films - darkroom techniques - Hypering film - a complete manual so to speak.

Good decision on using film. We have many here with years of experience as well regarding the above items. Ask away and welcome.

igor

Michal1
sage

Reged: 07/25/10

Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe
Re: First Photo With Hypered Tech Pan new [Re: Nebhunter]
      #5493442 - 10/28/12 05:52 PM

Noah, what did you used for hypering - forming gas, pure hydrogen, ...? I'm getting interested in hypering, too.

AstroMan0

Reged: 06/19/12

Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts
Re: First Photo With Hypered Tech Pan new [Re: Michal1]
      #5493527 - 10/28/12 06:50 PM

I used 8% hydrogen forming gas. This can be mixed by companies that supply gas. I think welding companies might supply it too. I hyper for 72 hours at 50 degrees Celsius.

Noah

Giorgos

Reged: 01/14/11

Loc: Athens, Greece
Re: First Photo With Hypered Tech Pan [Re: AstroMan0]
      #5494323 - 10/29/12 09:53 AM

Better scan the negative not the print from it. Its difficult to justify from a scanned print.Welcome to the forum!

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mitchell Duke, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 918

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics