Astrophotography and Sketching >> Film Astrophotography

Pages: 1
Michal1
sage

Reged: 07/25/10

Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe
Moon HDR new
      #5477547 - 10/18/12 06:38 PM

One evening, I decided to finish a roll of film by experimens with the Moon. I had never done this kind of photography before. I took a series of shots with different exoposure times to find the optimal one. The scope was on an equatorial mount, but the power wasn't switched on. The counterweight was highly unbalanced to prevent vibrations from the camera shutter. Several shots confirmed the ability of film to capture well a high ratio of brightnesses - the the moon crescent showed detail as well as the darker part. Even the Nikon 5000 scanner had problems to reproduce these frames of high density range. Fortunatelly, I had a series of exposures so I could make a composit in HDR software:

Exp. times 1, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60 and 1/125 s using my Praktica camera and Schmidt-Newtonian telescope 203/812. The film Fujicolor C200 was pushed 1 stop (because of DSO photos on it). I'm very happy with this image!
Michal

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TxStars
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/05

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Moon HDR new [Re: Michal1]
      #5477901 - 10/18/12 10:42 PM

Nice
It is almost looks like it does when I see it floating in the sky.

Giorgos

Reged: 01/14/11

Loc: Athens, Greece
Re: Moon HDR new [Re: TxStars]
      #5478356 - 10/19/12 07:54 AM

Nice photo Michael! Don't you have vibration problems with the Prackica? My VLC3 has too much.
PS I am very curious to see more deep sky photos on Fuji C200. It seems to be a very promising (and cheap!3 euros a 2 films pach) film.

Edited by Giorgos (10/19/12 07:58 AM)

Michal1
sage

Re: Moon HDR new [Re: Giorgos]
      #5478394 - 10/19/12 08:38 AM

Thanks, glad you like it.
Giorgos: OK, I wanted to upload the DSO's all at once, when I process them, but you are right, why to wait? I will upload something today later to here. And here you can see M 101 from the same roll.

Of course, the camera causes vibrations, but I made this shot completely for fun without big ambitions. The individual frames are sharper than this. I used to make more lunar photos with my old reflector 115/500. I realised disbalancing the telescope helps as well as pressing the tube by hand.

Dave Kodama
sage

Reged: 10/04/10

Loc: CA, USA
      #5489071 - 10/25/12 06:41 PM

Michal,

Nice result. Did you use the HDR function in Photoshop?

I've experimented with Photomatix. It seemed to do a good job bringing out the corona on a set of eclipse shots I took on film.

Dave

Michal1
sage

Re: Moon HDR new [Re: Dave Kodama]
      #5490621 - 10/26/12 05:47 PM

Hi Dave! I used easyHDR. Photomatix had problems with registration of the images. easyHDR allows one to align images manually. I din't correct them for rotation so that some fine details were lost. Here is the sharpest frame of the series: http://www.astro.cz/galerie/v/uzivatele/Michal+Bilek/Praktica+35+mm/fujicolor/mes.jpg.html

How do you set Photomatix? What characteristic curve do you use? Is it neccessary to use the same scanner settings for all of the stacked frames?

Dave Kodama
sage

#5492380 - 10/27/12 10:31 PM

Michal,

If you're going to do HDR, then yes, definitely the scanner settings should be consistent for all of the frames. As for Photomatix, I generally favor using tone mapping, but every photo seems to need individual adjustment and Photomatix is so flexible, you have an overwhelming combination of settings. Generally I try to start with one of the default combinations, and then adjust from there. After that I do more adjustment in Photoshop and/or Lightroom.

Here's an experiment I recently did on M42 using 6 frames shot on PPF-400:

M42 HDR Test

Click on the image to get to a larger version

I'm not completely happy with my color adjustment, it's noisy, and the seeing wasn't good that night, but the main purpose was to experiment with HDR on an astrophoto with a large dynamic range. It was a lot of work! First I had to register the images in Registar, align and crop them in Photoshop, merge them in Photomatix, then do final adjustments in Photoshop and Lightroom.

Even though it's a lot of work, I do think the result came out fairly smoothly merged compared to hand merging using masks in Photoshop.

Dave

Edited by Dave Kodama (10/27/12 10:35 PM)

Michal1
sage

Re: Moon HDR new [Re: Dave Kodama]
      #5494923 - 10/29/12 04:23 PM

Dave, thank you for your extensive answer. A little hint. You don't have to realign the images in Photoshop again. Registar has a useful function Crop/Pad image (F8), see http://www.astromatt.com/Articles/MosaicsPIV1.html

Dave Kodama
sage

Re: Moon HDR [Re: Michal1]
      #5495021 - 10/29/12 05:21 PM

Thanks for that tip!

Dave

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mitchell Duke, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1117

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics