Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
GRS/BA/NEB in Great Seeing
      #5495693 - 10/30/12 01:48 AM Attachment (30 downloads)

Finally, darn good seeing with Jupiter on the zenith as the GRS transited. Few things are as beautiful as Jupiter in all it's glory. Sketch is being worked (PC paint program from pencil sketch and notes.) Will post in a couple hours, but wanted to get notes down right away.

29 Oct 1600 to 1800 UT, Ant I-II seeing, 150x to 300x using UO 18mm and 12mm HD Orthos and 2x Shorty Barlow. Below is an observation prior to the GRS rolling into view. System I: 257, II: 126, III: 174

NPR: At first appeared featureless, but noted two very faint belts from the trailing limb. Possible darker patch further north.

NTB: Very strong ruddy hue across the NTB and the zone between the NTB and NEB. I did get a sense the NTB had a darker northern edge.

NEB: A hive of activity. Two prominent and distinctly blue features extending into the EQ zone. The NEB appears bifurcated. Much darker along the southern edge and less dark along the northern edge. Brighter through the center, with occasional glimpses of distinct bright, thin feature cutting the NEB along it's length. Also, noted a brighter spot approaching the Meridian.

EQ Zone: Possibly one soft festoon. EQ Belt pretty prominent from the meridian toward the preceding limb.

SEB: The wake preceding the GRS was fairly prominent along the northern edge with a brighter lobe separated just past the meridian. Near the logitudinal center and just at the meridian, there was some indication of at least one darker patch. Maybe two. The southern half did appear a bit darker.

SPR: Like the NPR, at first appeared rather featureless. However, one very faint belt was seen along the northern edge and on the preceding limb.

Of course, I observed until the GRS transited. Actually, oval BA was easier than on previous nights. And really, I do not understand why I missed observing it last year. It's not that tough. I did spot, twice, that darker oval near BA. It's pretty challenging.

The dark "finger" rolling up the side of the GRS is very prominent and easy. The darker portion of the SEB's southern edge extends well toward the meridian and beyond. The GRS was best seen, really, at 300x in it's full oval shape. However, I still seem to detect a darker southern half of the GRS. The brighter band across the top is pretty prominent.

The trailing wake appeared to taper only slightly southward, it really bisected the trailing SEB. I could make out at least three distinct clumps of brighter wake. The northern half of the SEB appeared to be darker than the southern half. And not far behind the GRS, just below the wake's "lumps" was a darker patch visible often enough to get "logged."

Directly north of the GRS was a series of three of those blue features along the NEB's southern edge. The one directly north of the GRS was very large and very prominent with a possible festoon hanging off it.

As the GRS neared the meridian, another stretch of EQ belt could be seen peeking around the trailing limb. Also, in the SPR there is a faint belt following the GRS stretching from just south of oval BA to the trailing limb. Just north of that faint SPR belt, and further behind the GRS on the trailing limb, is another very prominent belt in the south temperate zone (I think that's where it is.)

Two sketches coming...thanks for sharing the joy of observing Jupiter.

EDIT: Added first sketch this season.

Edited by Asbytec (10/30/12 02:45 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: GRS/BA/NEB in Great Seeing new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5495731 - 10/30/12 03:34 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

And the other one...first sketches this season. Not sure I am proud of them just yet, but seems to be all there.

What strikes me is the smaller, darker oval near BA. It is much darker and does not appear to be very different in size from a transit shadow. So, really, it seems the feature should be much easier than it really is.

I tried to illustrate the two toned appearance (to me) of the GRS. Still not sure why that is. Maybe some contrast with the brighter band crossing over the top?

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5495739 - 10/30/12 03:54 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Same image at 200x

Edited by Asbytec (10/30/12 03:56 AM)

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5496507 - 10/30/12 04:59 PM

Norme,

Very good sketches of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: GRS/BA/NEB in Great Seeing new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5497140 - 10/31/12 12:25 AM

Norme,

Your are a masterful sketcher of the planets. Great looking sketch and fine narrative to direct the eye.

Frank

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: GRS/BA/NEB in Great Seeing new [Re: frank5817]
      #5497204 - 10/31/12 01:30 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Thank both of you. Not sure the colors are where I want them, maybe a bit enhanced. But, I did want to bring out the very distinct blue of the festoons and the distinct ruddy glow in the northern temperate zone.

Actually, the smaller version of the sketch is a pretty accurate view. But, for folks observing sketches, small is not an easy format to use. They should be bigger.

My observation is strikingly similar to Michael's observation. He notes the GRS much the same and shows the bifurcated nature of the NEB. To me, it's pleasing to replicate his observation.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0...

Below is the same drawing in a smaller size in an attempt to replicate the actual view at about 200x.

Edited by Asbytec (10/31/12 01:36 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 592

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics