Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
karlo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/21/09

Loc: Yorkshire,UK, BLIGHTY !!
PGR & new cams but which one ???
      #5495824 - 10/30/12 07:15 AM

I recently had notification of the new PGR Blackfly cam coming out in this quarter but this a.m I rec'd further notice of additional cams in the range out in 1st Q of nxt yr.
Now they are GigE (which I like the idea of, global shuttered ( thumbs up) and incorporate some interesting chips.
For myself, I'd like a cam that was capable of Hi-Res lunar imaging at decent speeds but that also offered ROI and higher speeds for planetary.
These cams come with e2v EV76C560 CMOS, mono & colour - ( 1.3Mp) 1280 x 1024 and 60fps full frame
sony ICX692 & ICX693 ( colour and mono). The 693 looks interesting as this is CCD (0.9Mp) 1288 x 728 and 30fps at full frame.
I can't find any info yet on the sony mono chips but the colour versions look very high spec.
Sorry if this looks like an ad but am just wanting to gauge opinion since I miss the lunar and can't afford to run two PGR cams. Mono would be nice but perhaps a move to co;lour may be a possibility.
Any thoughts ???
PS if this needs to be moved to another board then I apologise.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PiotrM
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: Poland
Re: PGR & new cams but which one ??? new [Re: karlo]
      #5496161 - 10/30/12 01:06 PM

You can check my news about Blackfly cameras.

The e2v camera will be similar to xiQ camera on USB3. If it will allow choosing the shutter (rolling for lower noise at good seeing) then it will have a noticeable advantage.

The ICX692 and 693 are very new and there is no absolute QE measurements yet (Point Grey probably will publish something), and even there is no ICX693 mono version yet (officially). The color version is compared to color ICX424 and they state more than 2x better sensitivity so in theory ICX693 could be a competitor to ICX618

ICX692 looks slow compared to e2v sensors

There are EV76C661 Ruby based cameras (better than EV76C560, but at higher price), while there aren't any EV76C660 cameras yet (rolling shutter only - not liked nowadays; but should have insane QE and very low read noise)

karlo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/21/09

Loc: Yorkshire,UK, BLIGHTY !!
Re: PGR & new cams but which one ??? new [Re: PiotrM]
      #5497300 - 10/31/12 05:34 AM

Thanks Piotr , I'll take a look

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 943

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics