Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1
George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Cherry Springs on Google Earth
      #5496297 - 10/30/12 02:40 PM

Google Earth has updated their imagery of Cherry Springs State Park in PA to Aug 30, 2012. Nice view, showing all of the pads, AC power, scope pads, and the public observing area and seating across the road. The prior view was getting out-of-date.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dtripz

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Re: Cherry Springs on Google Earth new [Re: George N]
      #5513351 - 11/10/12 03:46 PM

Hey George, have you ever camped out there in November? Are the conditions bad overnight?

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cherry Springs on Google Earth new [Re: dtripz]
      #5515780 - 11/12/12 11:05 AM

Quote:

Hey George, have you ever camped out there in November? Are the conditions bad overnight?

Never been there in November (yet!!).

I have spent several 4-night camping trips there in late October. From that experience, and weather up here to the north, I'd expect winter conditions: below freezing at night, and just maybe snow. The other issue (need to call the park office at Lyman Run SP): they shut down the water during the winter - I'm not sure when. I believe that they then provide porta-potties, but those are cold to use! They do leave the AC power on all winter and they plow the roads thru the park. If there is snow, you are on your own for clearing a spot to camp and observe, and they want your vehicle off the plowed road.

Another possibility: rent one of the observatory domes for your scope (if no bigger than say a C-14) and stay in a B&B or motel. You can lock your stuff in the observatory after leaving for the night.

dtripz

#5521062 - 11/15/12 11:50 AM

Thanks for the advice George, judging from the weather so far it looks like a great 2 nights of clear sky. I've managed to find a webcam from Coudersport and it looks like there isn't any snow there whatsoever. I have a great sleeping bag so I may be fine just hanging out on the field and saving some money. The trick will be staying warm while looking in the eyepiece!

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #5521149 - 11/15/12 12:35 PM

Bundle up! I wouldn't be surprised if the temperatures are in the low 20s.

Dave Mitsky

dtripz

Re: Cherry Springs on Google Earth new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5521768 - 11/15/12 07:22 PM

I feel pretty confident I can stay warm, hopefully the mounts lubricants stay viscous enough to track a bit. Btw Dave thanks for letting me peek a view through ASLI's 32 incher at BFSP, Ill never forget that view.

Dominick

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #5522551 - 11/16/12 10:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice George, judging from the weather so far it looks like a great 2 nights of clear sky. I've managed to find a webcam from Coudersport and it looks like there isn't any snow there whatsoever. I have a great sleeping bag so I may be fine just hanging out on the field and saving some money. The trick will be staying warm while looking in the eyepiece!

Very little snow here either, which is about sixty miles to the northwest and two hundred feet lower than the park. This mornings low was 26F.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cherry Springs on Google Earth new [Re: star drop]
      #5524242 - 11/17/12 11:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

...... The trick will be staying warm while looking in the eyepiece!

Very little snow here either, which is about sixty miles to the northwest and two hundred feet lower than the park. This mornings low was 26F.

I was set up at my house, about half-way between CSSP and Ted, and I was getting frost on stuff 30 minutes after sundown. My 5-inch APO's lens frosted up around 11:30 PM. I'm going to have to put hand warmers on it for tonight!

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #5525058 - 11/17/12 08:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...... The trick will be staying warm while looking in the eyepiece!

I was set up at my house, about half-way between CSSP and Ted, and I was getting frost on stuff 30 minutes after sundown. My 5-inch APO's lens frosted up around 11:30 PM. I'm going to have to put hand warmers on it for tonight!

Last night turned into a frosty one here too. At around 9:30 the transparency began dropping due an ice fog forming.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Cherry Springs on Google Earth new [Re: star drop]
      #5530241 - 11/20/12 01:56 PM

Three fellow CAS members were at CSSP over the weekend.

http://www.chesmontastro.org/node/9094#comments

Dave Mitsky

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 906

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics