Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
docchilie

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Parnell, Iowa
CGEM problems fixed?
      #5496323 - 10/30/12 02:54 PM

A new mount is in my near future and I've been researching this quite a bit, but I can't find any definitive information in my Google searches.

I've read many old threads highlighting the issues CGEM had, but many of them are a year or more old. I've seen recent posts in mount threads where people reference that the CGEM problems are resolved, but nowhere can I find exactly what was resolved.

One of my main concerns was the reliability and the ability to operate in cold. Someone said that the lubricant used would be too viscous at what I thought were average cold temperatures here in Iowa.

If I'm buying new, I've narrowed down to CGEM, Atlas or IEQ45. The IEQ45 freaks me out because it is so new. The CGEMs reputation is freaking me out, so I'm down to the Atlas, but some of the CGEMs features I find interesting.

Thanks for the help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Baxstar

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Netherland
Re: CGEM problems fixed? new [Re: docchilie]
      #5496332 - 10/30/12 02:58 PM

I have my CGEM almost a year and have no problems with it! Really like it!

Casper

bbbri

Reged: 11/05/09

Loc: SW Ohio, United States
Re: CGEM problems fixed? new [Re: Baxstar]
      #5496361 - 10/30/12 03:15 PM

Haven't been hearing about as many issues with the CGEM lately but it's hard to tell. I had to return mine to Celestron for repair 2 years ago but it's been working since then.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: CGEM problems fixed? new [Re: bbbri]
      #5496378 - 10/30/12 03:26 PM

I've been using two of them without trouble.

-Rich

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: CGEM problems fixed? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5496488 - 10/30/12 04:50 PM

Never had trouble with mine but I have never used it below 20 degrees so can't comment on how it would do in extreme cold. It was bought within 6 months of the initial release. I don't treat it very well either, it gets used a lot in heavy dew and I keep the mount in the trunk of the car most of the time where it gets bounced around, so it seems to be very well built to handle all that and still work so well.

It is noisy IMO, maybe not as bad as an LX200 but enough that I don't use it in the backyard where it would bother the neighbors. If that is an issue for you then consider the Atlas instead, it is fairly quiet and is basically the same mount. If I was going to choose between them today I would probably go with the Atlas just because of the noise issue.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: CGEM problems fixed? new [Re: Lane]
      #5497096 - 10/30/12 11:55 PM

I used my CGEM thru a Michigan year before I had it supertuned and never had any issues with its grease.
I think the biggest issues the CGEM had where QC at the end of the production line, resulting in many problems that should never have happened, and customer service when the mounts failed. Mine was back to Torrance for repairs twice in the first 18 months, I'm over 3.5 years now. Replacemnt parts are nearly non-existant and replacement motors are WAY overpriced. Other than that it's a pretty good mount for its price & weight class. I thinks it's hand controller software is as good as anything out there though there still seem to be a bug or two and a deficientcy here or there. I'm 100% visual, pier mounted and have mine loaded to nearly max.

Al

docchilie

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Parnell, Iowa
Re: CGEM problems fixed? new [Re: mich_al]
      #5497625 - 10/31/12 11:32 AM

Thanks, everyone. Neighbors aren't a problem out here. It could be powered by an un-muffled V8 and no one would care.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5498248 - 10/31/12 06:47 PM

Mine worked fine outside in SD during the winter; most of my issues were user-generated.

It worked alot better after it was hypertuned. Better being defined as it produced a smooth(er) PHD graph and was easier to balance. GOTO was much improved as well.

Edited by Raginar (11/01/12 09:52 PM)

YetAnotherHobby
sage

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Central CT
      #5499863 - 11/01/12 08:22 PM

I bought my CGEM DX this past March. I had some initial problems with alignment, but after updating the firmware (10 minute operation, free downloads) I have had zero issues. The goto accuracy is a huge improvement over my Nexstar 8i, and precise goto just knocks my socks off. I was looking for a fairly faint galaxy visually with no luck. I swapped in the Stellacam, used precise goto, and on the first integration, there she was, dead center. I love this mount!
There is a Yahoo group and those guys know this mount intimately. Their advice helped me resolve the alignment issue. I have noticed a steep falloff in traffic on that group - maybe the bugs have all been worked out?

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: CGEM problems fixed? new [Re: YetAnotherHobby]
      #5500074 - 11/01/12 10:31 PM

The vast majority have good pointing accuracy. Those that don't point well are defective (disregarding operator error induced problems) They all will keep an object in a high power eyepiece all night. Now tracking for ap work is a totally different mnner.

The cogging effect is still present on many mount (mine does not have it) but a firmware fix is being worked on for that and the effect does have some work arounds.

PE is quite variable. i have had 3 cgems and they ran from 16 (+-8) arc seconds to 180 (+-90) arc seconds. The 180 arc second mount was returned and replaced under warranty. As long as the PE is smooth it can be guided out anyway.

There is a non integer PE component. It Runs at 8/3 worm revolution. For some mounts it is actually higher than the worm PE. Mine runs 75% of the 1st integer and does not guide well. It also makes PEC rather useless in my case. Not all cgems suffer from this os as bad.

My take on the cgem is it is a good value. I would look at it or the Atlas. For longer FL AP this mount is not it.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: CGEM problems fixed? new [Re: YetAnotherHobby]
      #5500726 - 11/02/12 11:15 AM

Interestingly, the CGEM DX Yahoo group tends to have very little traffic and, as far as I can tell, an indication of relatively few problems which I attribute to its different motor board.

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1066

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics