Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
scope cover question
      #5496412 - 10/30/12 03:56 PM

what cover would protect my 10" dob the best if i leave it out side. orions or telegiznos or some other cover. i have heard of people on these forums leaving there dobs out in all kinds of weather for years and they say it works but not sure what cover would be superior over the other. thanks, donnie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: scope cover question new [Re: donnie3]
      #5496418 - 10/30/12 04:00 PM

A 10" dob is pretty portable. Must you leave it outside?

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
Re: scope cover question new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5496700 - 10/30/12 07:00 PM

gastrol, IM LAZY!and having back problems, i dont like lifting too much weight and a cart is just as much if a hassel.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

#5496720 - 10/30/12 07:08 PM

If your dob base is made of particle board the elements will get to it first no matter how well you cover and protect your scope unless you find a way to also enclose the base completely from underneath the groundboard.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5497435 - 10/31/12 08:50 AM

You can store it in a shed, but it has to be out of the weather. If you live in a really humid climate, I'd probable make a space for it indoors. You could cover it for a quick rainstorm, but I wouldn't leave it outside permanently like that. It needa a place where moisture won't build up on the particle board base, let alone the long-term damage to the scope.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5498227 - 10/31/12 06:31 PM

I wouldn't leave a telescope outside with a cover unless you have it enclosed in a shed or observatory. Maybe building a permanent enclosure would be a good solution for you.

Wcclower

Reged: 04/14/11

Loc: Terrell, Texas
Re: scope cover question new [Re: GeneT]
      #5499505 - 11/01/12 03:17 PM

I just ordered a Telegizmo cover for my 14" dob, but I don't plan on leaving it out all the time. Maybe a week at a time during the new moon phase. Would always bring it in before a storm that I would know about. The Telegizmo 365 series is probably the best out these for around $170.00.

denodan
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/04

#5538213 - 11/25/12 02:22 AM

Quote:

gastrol, IM LAZY!and having back problems, i dont like lifting too much weight and a cart is just as much if a hassel.

I hate to say it, but if you don't like lifting and have back problems, then a 10" maybe to big for you.

In your case, you maybe better off with a 6". I myself have a 10", while it is portable, it still not a light scope by any means. I used to have a 6" Newtonian and an 8" Newtonian before the 10", the 6" was light as, the 8" heaver, but the 10" is a lot heaver then my 8" was.

I would not like anything larger then a 10", just to heavy to call portable, and even a 10" is a heavy scope.

If you find yourself lazy and with back problems and find moving the 10" to heavy and bothersome, you will soon tire of the scope and astronomy in general, so you maybe better of with the best 6" you can afford.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: scope cover question new [Re: denodan]
      #5538232 - 11/25/12 03:10 AM

I don't know what your climate is like there in OK. I'm guessing that you could get by leaving it outside if well covered in very dry conditions. You can kiss your particle board good bye if it gets wet...

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5538483 - 11/25/12 10:25 AM

Quote:

a cart is just as much if a hassel.

If you don't have any stairs, I don't see why a cart would be "just as much a hassel". I used one the entire time I had my 8" dob, & it was so easy to slip the cart under the scope, secure the scope with a strap, and outside for viewing! I could move the scope on the cart easily with one hand. In the house, I just left the scope on the cart.

denodan
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/04

Re: scope cover question new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5538666 - 11/25/12 12:34 PM

Like I said, if he feels like this, to lazy and back problems, and hates carts, then the 10" is too big for him, he is better off with something smaller, and lighter.

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: scope cover question new [Re: denodan]
      #5538695 - 11/25/12 12:50 PM

I can sympathize with the OP. I have a tendency to be lazy and a desire to protect my back and other body parts. Life is full of compromises and laziness has its price. So, there's always the alternative of leaving it outside under a 365 cover and replace the particle board when needed or buy a whole new scope. I can't think of a better reason to buy a new scope than that the one I have is falling apart.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: scope cover question new [Re: Fred1]
      #5538737 - 11/25/12 01:36 PM

My ultimate solution was to built an obs and get done with all the hassles of set ups and take downs.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
      #5538769 - 11/25/12 01:55 PM

I have a friend with a 6-inch Orion Dob that he has left out on his covered front porch for something like 10 years, under a cheap tarp, rain, snow, sun..... the scope has suffered no damage. Since he bought it used for just a few bucks, he is not all that concerned if it dies at some point.

Over the years my Obsession 20 has suffered thru at least a dozen thunder and snow storms under a cover and tarp, and the movement is as smooth as one could want, the NGC MAX works great, as does the dew heater. After 10 years I did have the primary re-coated last year.

I do think it is not a good idea to let a scope stay wet under a cover for more than a few hours at most. I have two covers: one is water-proof, and the other is a white dust cover. I switch based on the expected weather.

omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Re: scope cover question new [Re: George N]
      #5539031 - 11/25/12 04:14 PM

I use Astrosystems Scope Coat for covering the Dobs when I'm done with them for the night, too tired to tear down, at star parties. I will say, putting on a cover like this, on a 30" Dobsonian, by yourself... is a challenge.

betacygni
journeyman

Reged: 02/06/11

Re: scope cover question new [Re: omahaastro]
      #5539083 - 11/25/12 04:42 PM

The telegizmos 365 cover is the one you want. I've been storing my 10" dob outside with this cover for almost 2 years now, year round, the the scope is in as nice of condition as day one. In fact it actually is less dirty than the scopes I store uncovered indoors.

With regards to the particle board, yes, if it gets very wet you might have a problem. But in theory it's fairly well sealed, and the condensation i've gotten so far has had zero ill effects on it. Though if you have very moist soil, you might want to put some sort of barrier under your telescope as added protection. I figure the particle board will last a very, very long time, and if it does eventually fall apart, a replacement rocker box is a cheap and good upgrade anyway.

I'm a huge fan of storing your scope this way. I use my 10" dob more often than even my small 80mm grab and go scope now. Just pull the cover off my 10", and it's already mostly equalized to the ambient temp, and you're good to go. IMHO it's even easier than a dedicated observatory, and far cheaper (as long as you live in a relatively safe neighborhood and don't stay up at night worrying your scope might walk away).

omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Re: scope cover question new [Re: betacygni]
      #5539133 - 11/25/12 05:29 PM

I actually saw a particle board, 16" Meade Starfinder become victim of moisture at a star party a decade ago, in dramatic fashion, with the two altitude supporting rocker boards separating, falling in opposite directions, solid tube assembly straight to the ground with a thud. Fortunately, the mirror wasn't damaged, owner muttering something like, meaning to convert to a truss dob anyway.

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: scope cover question new [Re: omahaastro]
      #5539215 - 11/25/12 06:31 PM

Quote:

I actually saw a particle board, 16" Meade Starfinder become victim of moisture at a star party a decade ago, in dramatic fashion, with the two altitude supporting rocker boards separating, falling in opposite directions, solid tube assembly straight to the ground with a thud. Fortunately, the mirror wasn't damaged, owner muttering something like, meaning to convert to a truss dob anyway.

See what I mean?
Like I said earlier, "I can't think of a better reason to buy a new scope than that the one I have is falling apart. "

Edited by Fred1 (11/25/12 06:32 PM)

AhBok
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/02/10

Re: scope cover question new [Re: Fred1]
      #5539432 - 11/25/12 09:17 PM

Yes--one of the main features of particle board is its ability to help one justify the purchase of a new scope. Simply leave it out for a week without a Telegizmos 365 cover. Save the money for the cover and put it on a new scope instead!

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: scope cover question new [Re: AhBok]
      #5539474 - 11/25/12 09:55 PM

Not with my scope.

Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1272

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics