Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Anyone use a big OTA on a GM-8? new
      #5488971 - 10/25/12 05:20 PM

I am on a never ending search for a very quiet mount to use when I am camping in parks. I realized on my last vacation that even my very quiet Orion Sirius is still to loud.

I remember using a Tak 102 on a GM-8 one night many years ago, it had no goto just tracking and DSC's which is exactly what I need. If I remember correctly it was noise free. What I don't know is whether it could handle my C11 or my AT152. I would be using the vibration pads Losmandy sells and would want 2 seconds or less of vibration damping time.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: Anyone use a big OTA on a GM-8? new [Re: Lane]
      #5489131 - 10/25/12 07:24 PM

Have you considered an Atlas? I don't know how much noise a GM-8 makes, but the Atlas is very quiet. It makes a very soft whine that is unlike any other mount I've heard. Every time I see one slew, it amazes me how little noise it makes. Also, it would be able to handle your OTAs.

-Wade

mdowns
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/12/10

Loc: Englewood,FL
      #5489373 - 10/25/12 10:22 PM

I used to have a non-goto gm8 and I mounted a meade 10" sct on it.Though I felt it maxed the mount out the gm8 performed perfectly with the load.I'd wager that the meade 10" with its internal weights was every bit as heavy as the c11 I have now.Good luck!

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Anyone use a big OTA on a GM-8? new [Re: WadeH237]
      #5489783 - 10/26/12 07:28 AM

The nice thing about a GM-8 is that it is clutched. If you don't want goto capabilities a clutched mount is much more convenient than loosening and tightening shaft locks every time you move the scope.

JimC

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5490477 - 10/26/12 03:57 PM

I used a C925 and a TMB 130 on my GM-8, but I think anything bigger might be pushing it a bit too much.

My Atlas was the quietest mount I owned.

Cheers,

Ron

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #5490525 - 10/26/12 04:37 PM

Biggest I have used is a 4" f/13, and the G8 manages it.... barely. That tube is loooooong.

Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Re: Anyone use a big OTA on a GM-8? new [Re: hottr6]
      #5490789 - 10/26/12 07:59 PM

I must be more tolerant than most... I don't have a G8, but have many others. The G8 is like a scaled down G11.

The G8 is a step up from the CG-5's, and those have been used to carry 6" refractors (F8), C11's, and even the C10. I have much experience with the C10. Not ideal, but it will work on the EQ5. A G8 would be a cake walk by comparison.

I would expect the G8 to be very quiet. More so than an Atlas I would imagine since the Atlas has to make some noise when the motors are slewing.

I have the EQ6 and it's silent. The G11 is mostly as well. There is a little noise from the motors (gearboxes I think...) in my very old sample that is known about them. I think the newer ones don't have that.

And with clutches, you can just swing the thing whereever you want as fast as you want, and no noise. The noise of the motors was one of the things I didn't like about the AS-GT.

Clear skies,

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5490814 - 10/26/12 08:19 PM

I used a 5" f/10 D&G on a GM-8. IMO the mount was not up to the mass plus moment arm of that OTA (visual use). The weakest link of the GM-8 is a somewhat flimsy tripod. If you move the head to a G-11 tripod, it's a much more capable mount.

The non-Gemini GM-8 is indeed a very quiet mount, though. If stealth mode is you thing, it might be a good choice, though honestly for just a little bit more you can get the non-Gemini G-11 which is a much better mount, and also silent as they come.

- Jim

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: Anyone use a big OTA on a GM-8? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5491164 - 10/27/12 02:06 AM

Thanks guys,

I guess I will go with a G11 instead because it sounds like it is probably a better match for these scopes, I was trying to get as portable as possible, which is why I was thinking G8. The whole point here is camping out and I carry a lot of other junk with me on vacations.

The Atlas is just as loud as the Sirius when slewing around. They are both quiet compared to most other mounts but they are still to loud for some of the parks I camp at. They just don't put enough distant between the campsites in most parks, especially in national parks. So what I want is something that is push-to instead of go-to, so the only noise heard will be the tracking motors.

I was originally thinking about a DiscMount DM8 with the DSC's, but I think I would miss the tracking especially at high powers.

Cabrillas

Reged: 07/19/09

Loc: Madrid. Spain.
      #5491894 - 10/27/12 04:17 PM

I had a TEC 140 on a GM8 (Gemini), only for visual. It was a very stable setup, even under moderate winds. Better than my TEC 160ED (looong tube)on the G11.

Carlos.

CityAstronomer

Reged: 07/26/07

Loc: S. California
Re: Anyone use a big OTA on a GM-8? new [Re: Cabrillas]
      #5495550 - 10/29/12 11:35 PM

Carlos,

I am looking at the GM-8 as a portable EQ mount to hold a future Tec 140 purchase. What tripod are you using to keep the scope stable?

Sam

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Anyone use a big OTA on a GM-8? new [Re: CityAstronomer]
      #5495595 - 10/30/12 12:19 AM

I have not put the TEC 140 on my GM-8, mainly because I use the NP-101 on it. But I am sure that it would handle it for visual.
Blueman

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: Anyone use a big OTA on a GM-8? new [Re: blueman]
      #5496316 - 10/30/12 02:50 PM

I have been emailing with Ed at DeepSpaceProducts about the T-Rex mount. I am thinking that is going to be a better way to go than a GM-8 or a G11 for my purposes. Scott says a 6" like my AT152 or the C11 will not be a problem at all on the T-Rex. I have also discovered that the Sky Commander is totally compatible with SKY-FI, so I can use Sky Safari on my iPad to find objects. I don't like the 3K price tag much, but the T-Rex appears to be a lot more Grab-n-Go than the GM-8 or the G11.

Cabrillas

Reged: 07/19/09

Loc: Madrid. Spain.
Re: Anyone use a big OTA on a GM-8? [Re: CityAstronomer]
      #5496532 - 10/30/12 05:16 PM

Quote:

Carlos,

I am looking at the GM-8 as a portable EQ mount to hold a future Tec 140 purchase. What tripod are you using to keep the scope stable?

Sam

Hi Sam.

It was the standard GM8 folding tripod. About portability...well, of course a lot more portable than the G11, but it takes two trips (head, tripod, counterweights), at least for average people.

Carlos.

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1100

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics