Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
cybertheque

Reged: 10/29/12

polar axis scopes dimensions request new
      #5494580 - 10/29/12 12:35 PM

Greetings:

I recently acquired an EQ mount once sold as the Tasco 7701 (perhaps OEM from Vixen according to some posters)

http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/classics/tasco/TascoMo...

I would like to locate or adapt a polar scope to use with this mount; inspecting the data for currently available Vixen polar scopes suggests that they are not directly compatible. Perhaps I could adapt a Celestron or Orion polar scope intended for the CG-4 or CG-5 mount if the tube would fit (I may need to machine a collar of course).

I would appreciate getting the dimensions of those scopes (and any other candidates) from owners: tube length and diameter, mounting arrangement details, collar dimensions, thread sizes and inner diameter of interior threads of any mounting collar, etc.

I am not in the same place as the mount as I compose this so I cannot provide dimensions but will edit later to add them; I just hoped to start getting some data early on to help me make ordering decisions.

Many thanks,

Michael

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
Re: polar axis scopes dimensions request new [Re: cybertheque]
      #5494738 - 10/29/12 02:20 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

The Tasco 7701 is the same mount as the original Vixen Polaris mount. I have the Polaris mount with the polar scope and it's the same ... except for some minor differences in the adjustment knobs. The polar scope looks exactly the same. However, it's very difficult to find a used polar scope for this particular mount and I don't believe the polar scopes from the other Vixen mounts will fit.

Here's a shot of my Vixen Polaris mount with the polar scope:

cybertheque

Re: polar axis scopes dimensions request new [Re: *skyguy*]
      #5494965 - 10/29/12 04:51 PM

Thanks for the photo and info; now I have an enlarged search pool for the original eqpt anyway...

If you are so inclined, it would be useful to have closeup photos of the sky-end of the mounting ring/collar and some dimensions of the scope tube diameter, length, etc. of yours.

Thanks again

nebultick

Reged: 10/09/12

Re: polar axis scopes dimensions request new [Re: cybertheque]
      #5495044 - 10/29/12 05:35 PM

Vixen SP/GP +clones scope dimensions are approx

20mm tube
25mm or 26mm x 1 or 1.25 mm thread
90mm from end of objective to end of threads
56mm or so for the hour/date ring
138mm overall length

doesn't look like it will fit in your mount

cybertheque

Re: polar axis scopes dimensions request [Re: nebultick]
      #5496549 - 10/30/12 05:26 PM

I am going to bump this, hope you don't mind; any owners of a Celestron or Orion polar scope out there? please measure the tube outer diameter and post it together with the model number or which mount uses it.

Thanks!

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 556

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics