Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
KirtErie
journeyman

Reged: 09/16/12

Loc: Alpena, MI
CPC 800 Deluxe HD Squeak on Altitude Axis
      #5496672 - 10/30/12 06:48 PM

Greetings: I bought a CPC 800 Deluxe HD in the beginning of October. It performs great, but the altitude axis squeals pretty loudly when the clutch is loosened enough to easily move the OTA manually. Celestron actually sent me an entirely new replacement telescope after I returned the original (they paid shipping). Upon unpacking the replacement today, the first thing I did was rotate the OTA about the altitude axis and, incredibly, it had the same squeal. I had etched the metal base of the one I returned with my initials, so I know it's a different telescope. The azimuth axis does not exhibit the squeal. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KirtErie
journeyman

Update: CPC 800 Deluxe HD Squeak on Altitude Axis new [Re: KirtErie]
      #5501413 - 11/02/12 07:17 PM

Greetings:

Celestron graciously replaced my original telescope with another new one and it has the exact same squeal. It is not the same telescope that I returned because I had etched my initials on the bottom of the original. This 35-second video demonstrates the squeal, which the Celestron agent viewed and determined it was OK. I really like this telescope otherwise, and maybe I expect too much. Has anyone else noticed the squeal? Do you accept Celestron's claim that this is normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Oe1pYbfHk&feature=sh...

aamilo

Reged: 02/28/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Re: Update: CPC 800 Deluxe HD Squeak on Altitude Axis new [Re: KirtErie]
      #5501431 - 11/02/12 07:29 PM

Let me get this right.... If you loosen it fully there is NO squeak, but if the clutch is slightly tight then there is a squeak?

I would think that this is normal. The clutch has friction material on it and that material is partially grabbing which is causing the squeak. That may go away it time as the clutch seats in but I don't see it was an issue unless my understanding above is incorrect.

KirtErie
journeyman

Re: Update: CPC 800 Deluxe HD Squeak on Altitude Axis new [Re: aamilo]
      #5501532 - 11/02/12 08:31 PM

Yes, when fully loose there is no noise at all, but when tightened so that it takes a little force to move it, the squeal occurs. The clutch can be torqued down significantly so even with a little grease between the plates the OTA would be quite immobile. It just seems odd to me that a top-of-the-line telescope would squeal under any circumstances. Having been around a number of other telescopes of various makes and models, I have never heard this kind of noise from a mount (other than gear drive noises, which this is not). Thanks for your reply; I appreciate the feedback.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Update: CPC 800 Deluxe HD Squeak on Altitude Axis new [Re: KirtErie]
      #5502067 - 11/03/12 08:39 AM

Sounds normal, or at least not a problem to me. How often do you do this anyway?

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Update: CPC 800 Deluxe HD Squeak on Altitude Axis new [Re: rmollise]
      #5502259 - 11/03/12 11:40 AM

The sound means your friction disk is nice and clean and functioning as it should.

Pages: 1

Extra information
26 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 640

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics