Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
TileArt

Reged: 09/13/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
Re: LXD-75 or CG-5? new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #5468868 - 10/13/12 08:23 PM

Thanks Cliff, that essentially eliminates it then.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
Re: LXD-75 or CG-5? new [Re: TileArt]
      #5468894 - 10/13/12 08:39 PM

Roger:

You're welcome. It kinda sucks 'cause I've become very attached to my LXD-75 and I just dropped $115.00 for a dovetail and rings for my 2080 OTA. Guess I need to start saving up for a CG-5...

Orionis91
sage

Reged: 03/01/10

Loc: Maryland USA
Re: LXD-75 or CG-5? new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #5469028 - 10/13/12 10:28 PM

I'd have to say CG-5, my is well, the boss to me

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: LXD-75 or CG-5? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5469828 - 10/14/12 01:42 PM

Quote:

I just hope they will duplicate the success of the CG5, a real classic...

I would love, love, love it if they redesigned the axes to put and additional bearing on the RA and two bearings (rather than none) on the DEC. They could pretty much leave everything else alone (of course motor enclosures that don't amplify noise would be nice). It would be a major upgrade to the quality and performance of the CG-5.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: LXD-75 or CG-5? new [Re: EFT]
      #5470184 - 10/14/12 05:09 PM

I'm with you Ed...and I hope that if/when they do release a replacement, the changes are more than skin deep

Orionis91
sage

Reged: 03/01/10

Loc: Maryland USA
Re: LXD-75 or CG-5? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5470195 - 10/14/12 05:18 PM

One plus on the CG5. I love mine. I mount a C8 SCT on it with no trouble and love the robustness of the mount. GOto's are dead on. and I love that.

Dave

TileArt

Re: LXD-75 or CG-5? new [Re: Orionis91]
      #5495499 - 10/29/12 11:07 PM

Well I picked up a CG-5 from the classified here (Thanks Dan!) and it showed up last week. WOW! This thing is incredible. I haven't had the chance to drag it outside yet (clouds - of course!) but just set up in my garage it's worlds apart from the flimsy little Meade tripod system I've been using for the last ten years.

Never really been one to buy into all the bigger and better hype, I'm normally just happy staring into space, but this thing is gonna make a huge difference. Been bouncing around the idea of picking up a used c8 (for a couple of years ) and may just talk myself into it now.

I'd like to thank everyone here for the help! Greatly appreciated.

greju
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/13/05

Re: LXD-75 or CG-5? new [Re: TileArt]
      #5496251 - 10/30/12 02:13 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

Quote:

Well I picked up a CG-5 from the classified here (Thanks Dan!) and it showed up last week. WOW! This thing is incredible. I haven't had the chance to drag it outside yet (clouds - of course!) but just set up in my garage it's worlds apart from the flimsy little Meade tripod system I've been using for the last ten years.

Never really been one to buy into all the bigger and better hype, I'm normally just happy staring into space, but this thing is gonna make a huge difference. Been bouncing around the idea of picking up a used c8 (for a couple of years ) and may just talk myself into it now.

I'd like to thank everyone here for the help! Greatly appreciated.

What "flimsy little Meade tripod system" are you referring to? I have always found that the tripod on the LXD-75 to be more than adequate.

Edited by greju (10/30/12 02:14 PM)

TileArt

Re: LXD-75 or CG-5? [Re: greju]
      #5496683 - 10/30/12 06:53 PM

Greju,

The one that came with my Meade DS-90 with which I've been staring into space for the last ten years. I'm absolutely certain the lxd-75 is more than adequate for anything I'd ever stack on it. I, however, did not have one of those - I had the flimsy little Meade tripod.

That comment was not intended as a derogatory remark toward Meade at all, I just happened to have one of the lesser mounts they've produced. Still love the scope - does that make me weird?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1776

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics